Operators Voice Concerns over New Visa Rules for Chinese Tourists

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

----Chinese tourists I find are extremely rude, always jump ques? Who taught them to do this silly nonsense.

How do chinese people react when other chinese people cut in front of them I wonder in China...mmmm.

Apparently it's Chinese culture. I was waiting in line at Suvarnabhumi for the ever so slow lift a few years ago (pre-pandemic). Me and a few Thais waiting patiently, as the lift arrived a Chinese came and cut right in before all of us. She got the message when pinned to the wall of the lift by my baggage cart. Was she bothered? Hell no. As if completely normally.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, realfunster said:

If you’ve seen the multitude of news stories over the last few months on Chinese crime gangs getting their teeth into Thailand, that’s a starting point.

It would seem apparent that a reasonable number of Chinese were not happy with the zero tolerance approach and with the help of persuadable Thai immigration officers they managed to semi-settle here illegally. Just this week, we have seen the specific targeting of Chinese/East Asian clubs in Pattaya. 

Anyhow, China has reached its tipping point. Population boom is over and resulting economic growth is on the decline. Their headcount shrunk in 2022 for the first time since Mao launched some of his “special policies”. They are forecast to reduce to 600-700m by 2100 as they have one of the lowest birth rates globally. Whilst just due to sheer size, they will remain a global player, I suspect they will find it hard to get out of the middle income trap, especially post-COVID and Ukraine with many companies re-assessing supply chains and government doing the same with foreign policy.  

Relatedly, and literally as I write, India is going to or just has overtaken China as the most populous nation. That will be the next focus for TAT. Forecast 2100 population for India is 1.5bn. Good news for Thai tourism and also for Asian geo-political stability to have India getting their act together and counter-balancing China. 

Indian tourists come with their own baggage but at least it surely leads to more Indian restaurants in Thailand, so I’m all in on that. 

Thanks. I'm invested in India and beleive it's on the rise as China is declining. As a Brit, our favourite restaurants are "so called" Indian restaurants. Although a great many these days are actually Bangladeshi. Still good though. Over the last couple of months I've been out to Indian nightclubs in Pattaya. No shortsge of cash being spent there and good fun too. Haven't heard of any visa issues for the Indians. I still beleive they get 2 weeks visa on arrival (correct me if wrong). Maybe TAT will have campaigns there.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Not to mention Police raids of night clubs frequented by Chinese in Pattaya, and the upcoming 300 baht fee that no one can quite figure out how to collect...

Too right, they should be taken directly from their tour of Mike's Shopping Mall to their hotel rooms and be tucked up in bed by 9pm. Then up at 5am for the buffet fight and off to Beach Road to be taken to swarm over the Beach at Koh Larn..... Now there is a holiday, no galivanting in naughty night clubs getting drunk and looking for naughty fun.....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

No mention of WHY these new requirements are being implemented from what I could see in the OP and linked article.

By doing this, it appears that the Thai authorities are doing their very best to limit the once prized Chinese travellers and their money. By making it more difficult to apply for visa, it will be no surprise if the Chinese choose to go elsewhere where their money is welcome. Couldn't make this up. Feel sorry for those Thai owned attractions, restaurants, shops and hoteliers who might lose out (that is if they are truly Thai operated).

Or is this new restriction being imposed by the Chinese overlords to limit a Chinese exodus? Seems very strange at a time when we read that Thais are apparently desperate for Chinese toursism to return.

Are we on the same page? Limit I hope they do. Who cares what the rules are for. Much of their money goes right back home. Thais never see it. Generally, they do not help the economy as much as, say, a lone westerner (dare I say it) backpacker putting their money about into markets and local eateries. While I feel for the genuine Chinese traveller, the million zero dollar folk can go and do one and stay home!

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I read recently (in the online edition of a newspaper, named after Thailand's capital) that the fee will definitely be introduced in September, possibly using both, online collection, and airport counters.

Expect crashing websites and long queues at fee-collection counters...

Happy Thailand travel!

line up here to pay 300 baht to miss a 2k flight. 

sabai sabai

Maybe they have really figure out the Best way to handle the Chinese visitors this time around.  Personally, I think if other neighboring countries can use this same method or other the Chinese will adjust their behaviors. Well, I guess. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

When I went to Penang, Immigration officers were singling out ONLY Chinese for their passports to be checked before going into the waiting room to hand in visa application.......and being extremely strict on them

"Why have you got overstay etc" shouting at them, being rude. It came across they REALLY didn't want Chinese getting a Visa

--If the Chinese citizen didn't have evidence of a valid flight back they told them to come back tomorrow (After everyone had que for over 1 hours already in the hot Penang Sun)

----Chinese tourists I find are extremely rude, always jump ques? Who taught them to do this silly nonsense.

How do chinese people react when other chinese people cut in front of them I wonder in China...mmmm.

Thais are just as bad, I had it happen yesterday in the local shop, the sky train used to be bad for it, they are all trying to pile in and you are trying to get off, 

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

This doesn't have much to do with visas, but allow to me to explain...

Every nationality has their own particular behavioural patterns. Why would you judge the whole world by what you consider normal. Take a trip to China or Hong Kong to discover what is normal for Chinese people. What you consider to be rude is not rude for them.

Is rudeness even a concept for them. I wonder ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1