COD scams continue please beware.

The Fugitive

20 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Absolutely. The blades do rotate though! Too puny to be of any use unfortunately. Going to have to thank the surrounding shopkeepers for accepting and paying for our items in the past but ask them not to do so in future.   

aha .....  and there lays part of your problem ,  they ( next door or another shopkeeper )   is doing a good deed for you by paying and accepting the COD package if your out,  which is convenient and helpful,   however just one scam delivery and it costs you 790 baht.   What about message the store and ask who ordered the fan and how .... try and get a date and time it was ordered,  investigate a bit more.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gaccha said:

As has been endlessly pointed out on this forum, you should not use COD. 

Never ever I would give Lazada, Shopee etc. my Bank Details, always using COD.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

aha .....  and there lays part of your problem ,  they ( next door or another shopkeeper )   is doing a good deed for you by paying and accepting the COD package if your out,  which is convenient and helpful,   however just one scam delivery and it costs you 790 baht.   What about message the store and ask who ordered the fan and how .... try and get a date and time it was ordered,  investigate a bit more.

Unfortunately, yesterday my Mrs disposed of the cardboard box and outer wrapping with delivery and product information. I have to 'tread on eggshells' at home with many things. Once I had a package undelivered and returned to depot with a postcard left at the shop. I rang the telephone number but the guy didn't speak English. I asked if someone could ring upon my behalf. I got told 'we all work hard here, have better things to do, you're expecting too much'.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Once I had a package undelivered and returned to depot with a postcard left at the shop. I rang the telephone number but the guy didn't speak English. I asked if someone could ring upon my behalf. I got told 'we all work hard here, have better things to do, you're expecting too much'.

Of course, I don't blame him, you were asking too much, he works for the courier company, not the seller and his/their job is to make deliveries to where they're told.   Why should he have to sort out your/your seller's problem?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, I don't blame him, you were asking too much, he works for the courier company, not the seller and his/their job is to make deliveries to where they're told.   Why should he have to sort out your/your seller's problem?

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I asked my Mrs if she or someone else in the family would ring the courier depot to rearrange delivery because the man at the depot didn't speak English. That was the first time I'd asked and they wouldn't help. 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for the advice! The other family members do have (and always use) their own mail order 'accounts'. This parcel was addressed to my Mrs and had her mobile telephone number printed upon the address label.

my wife had a COD delivery come to the house, her name but a different telephone number, paid for it as we were leaving the house, on return a pair of shoes not ordered, shoes fit but a scam, not ordered, today had a parcel deliver guy ring on her telephone number, but not ordered and a different address, so  maybe another scam for a different address

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:18 PM, Gaccha said:

As has been endlessly pointed out on this forum, you should not use COD. 

I rarely use anything else when ordering through Lazada.

The only problem I have had in years was ordering the 4 colours of ink for my Brother printer.

I got 2 large bottles of black ink and no colour inks, but that may have been me wrongly ordering.

On 4/29/2023 at 1:29 PM, transam said:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2023 at 1:29 PM, transam said:

COD delivery always phone to see if we are home, if we are not, they come the next day...........No ploblem for us.  :stoner:

I gave them my wife's mobile and she deals with it, Fortunately they don't deliver until late in the afternoon as we are just about at the end of their delivery line.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/29/2023 at 1:13 PM, Dan O said:

Yep, easy. They all know that they ordered something and all the info so it weeds out the COD scams that do exist

Actually it doesn’t. Where the seller is a scammer you can still be scammed and a respectable company (ie Lazada or Shopee) are not holding your money.

On 4/29/2023 at 12:09 PM, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for that! Just tried it. I didn't know that Google Translate and then by selecting Camera takes me to Google Lens. Most helpful. I'm going to be in need of this in the future! 

Yes it is indeed a very useful app and can save a lot of agro.

Just make sure you don't leave the app running. It will quickly drain your battery.

• Thanks 1

My teenage niece that lives around the corner on dirt road orders things and usually the driver stops here.. if wife isn’t home the driver calls her saying he’s on the way….. if nieces I just point towards their house

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 10:42 AM, UWEB said:

I pay using lazada wallet, it's connected to my K Pay Plus account, lazada don't have any account details of mine. I then log into my K Pay Plus and use my Kasikorn credit card points. 

I had 100,000 points, I pay my PEA, lazada, most purchases. 

Me and my family are rarely home, most deliveries come from a lady who gives me a courtesy call to tell me she's delivering my parcel, I ignore her call and minutes later I see an email saying my order has been delivered. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 11:41 AM, The Fugitive said:

Good point! That's my worry! Usually, (but not always) the name on the parcel is written in Thai and I can't read it. That was the case today. However, her mobile telephone number appeared on the address label. As we know, and fortunately for us, Thai's often write their numerics in Latin!

Forget what you think you know if you think thais often write their numbers in Latin

• Like 2

On 4/29/2023 at 7:22 AM, transam said:

All my hundred's of stuff has been COD, never a problem because I/we KNOW what is coming, and is checked.

So tell me, why I should not use COD and give them bank account details instead....:ohmy:

On 4/30/2023 at 5:42 AM, UWEB said:

How would you guys even give Lazada or Shopee your bank account details? There is no way to pay by direct debit like in some western countries as far as I know. Are you guys confusing it with paying via card? Lazada/Shopee do not get your bank account details.

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

How would you guys even give Lazada or Shopee your bank account details? There is no way to pay by direct debit like in some western countries as far as I know. Are you guys confusing it with paying via card? Lazada/Shopee do not get your bank account details.

Lazada has "Lazada wallet", I forget how that works, but I am in it.

Before they alloyed farangy's to be in LW, the only way I could get a refund was via my bank, so I had to do it that way.....:stoner:

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 7:27 AM, transam said:

Please don't dodge the WHY I should not pay COD...Go for it.....????

Because refunds are more hassle? Because you have to ensure you check the contents of the package *before* accepting it from the delivery guy? Because you have no way to force a chargeback to get money back if seller is uncooperative? Because you have to have an appropriate amount of cash on hand? These and other reasons have been re-iterated time and time again. Same as we are seeing the COD scam threads time and time again. And in those very threads we also time and time again see people spouting how great COD is and they'd never use something else.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Because refunds are more hassle? Because you have to ensure you check the contents of the package *before* accepting it from the delivery guy? Because you have no way to force a chargeback to get money back if seller is uncooperative? Because you have to have an appropriate amount of cash on hand? These and other reasons have been re-iterated time and time again. Same as we are seeing the COD scam threads time and time again. And in those very threads we also time and time again see people spouting how great COD is and they'd never use something else.

But I have had refunds on stuff I wanted to return, there has never been a problem............:coffee1:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Forget what you think you know if you think thais often write their numbers in Latin

Honestly, for me it's about the most helpful aspect of Thailand. Writing prices of goods and telephone numbers so that I can read them instead of in Thai language. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 11:26 AM, setbkk said:

How do you know it is a scam when 7 other people have stuff shipped to her shop?

easy, only accept deliveries for which the buyer sent a copy of the order summary beforehand.

Edited by tgw

11 minutes ago, transam said:

But I have had refunds on stuff I wanted to return, there has never been a problem............:coffee1:

That may well be. That does not negate any of my points though. That you never encountered a bad seller that refused to refund does not mean others don't run into them.

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Lazada has "Lazada wallet", I forget how that works, but I am in it.

Before they alloyed farangy's to be in LW, the only way I could get a refund was via my bank, so I had to do it that way.....:stoner:

I've never used Lazada Wallet nor do I have any intention to. I've received refunds via debit card. Though the last time was a few years ago, had no reason to ask for refunds in the recent past. But even if you give them your bank account number, I don't understand the issue. It's not like they can debit money from it. And if you are using Lazada Wallet then how do you get the money out without giving them your bank account in there? Alternatively you just keep the money there for any future purchases I guess. Not to my liking all these hoops for no benefit.

Edited by eisfeld

That may well be. That does not negate any of my points though. That you never encountered a bad seller that refused to refund does not mean others don't run into them.

I've never used Lazada Wallet nor do I have any intention to. I've received refunds via debit card. Though the last time was a few years ago, had no reason to ask for refunds in the recent past. But even if you give them your bank account number, I don't understand the issue. It's not like they can debit money from it.

Lazada "staff" can see bank details once you send them. If you are a trusting fellow, that's up to you, but I rarely use my bank details for anything.....????

C.O.D, noooo ploblem.....:intheclub:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

"COD scams continue please beware."

So after I read the posts (and my own) I now realise this has nothing to do with English fish 'n chips.

You've lived through the days of our COD war too!

11 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Honestly, for me it's about the most helpful aspect of Thailand. Writing prices of goods and telephone numbers so that I can read them instead of in Thai language. 

What some people are trying to hint at:

Latin numbers:  I, II, III, IV,V, VI...

Arab numbers: 1,2,3,4,5,6...

English uses Latin letters but Arabic numerals

I don't think many Thais know Roman numerals ("Latin numbers")

• Thanks 1