My firiend wants to buy a beer bar.

I know what the problems and pitfalls are, I was just fishing for some inside lane on reasonable monthly profit or gross income after capex. How marginal are these bars? And what are typical rents and entry prices?

Edited by ozimoron

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I hope he can crunch numbers.

I hope he knows how to market his business

Unless he's American, I hope he knows Thai people he can trust 100%

Numbers: He's going to have rent, staff, social security, VAT, electricity, water, CGS, maintenance & repair, computerized point-of-sales system, licenses (alcohol, music, food), accounting firm, insurance, even a sign tax....all of which add up quickly. He'll also have forced days off, like Buddha Days and election days. What's his price point? Does he even know the wholesale cost of bottle and draught beer and spirits? He also has to factor in acquisition cost and any renovations he plans to do.

Marketing: Why is his business different? Is he Mr Socialable? Will he employ the most beautiful cashier on Buddha's Green Earth? Will he pay up for a killer sound system and play the sort of music that drinkers want to hear? If he is just selling cold beer, big deal. Why is his shop more fun to hang around than his competitors' shops or the steps of a 7-11?

If he's American, he can own under the Treaty of Amity, allowing him 100% control. If not, 49% is his limit, with Thais making up other owners/directors. He will need to hire 4 Thai workers for every foreigner he employs, which means at least 4 (assuming he's a foreigner). He'll also need a Work Permit, even if he's just a Director or Investor, and he'll need a Non-B Business Visa.

I might not know the specific costs involved in bars, but I do have an idea about other costs/hassles that come with owning any business in Thailand. If I was to guess, I'd say precious few bars in Pattaya are profitable.

If he's realistic, has a sharp pencil and a good spreadsheet, and a novel idea, perhaps he can break even. Odds are quite long, however.

I assume most soi 6 bars have to be better than break even or would not exist? Are they all hobby bars?

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just don't get guys who want to open up bars to make a 100k baht a month.

For one, your stuck there, you have staff wages to pay, brown envelopes and all the headaches that go with it.

I have been trading on the stock market with 4 million baht for over 5 years now, I buy when the stocks I know are low and sell when they are slightly up, sometimes they open way up so it's a bonus to me, that said, I make 100k baht a month, you do the math on the return, it's crazy, that said, I buy no less than 1,250,000 baht of stock at a time.

The above said, I have no staff to pay, no brown envelopes and zero headaches to deal with, and I visit my local bar 3 times a week.

Self taught, and NEVER ever thought of buying a business in Thailand, let alone anywhere else, why would I, this way, I pay no tax and if a particular stock that I know declines, I wait for it to come back up.

Owing  beer garden or a bar in my opinion, is only for fools. Your friend should look at other alternatives, know too many farangs who have failed in business in Thailand, but each to their own.  

He's not the type who can trade stocks. Not interested in opinions, just the numbers.

17 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Reasonable profit pr unit should be before cost 50% 

So his monthly rent is 80k

Staff 100k

Electricity 20k

Insurance 5% of turnover Normally 10 - 30 k a month depending on season and of course size of bar

Investment downpay 5% a year

Reserve to pay new tv, freedge and everything that you did not think about as well time to pay bills while waiting to gain a proper group of returning well paying customers. 

The biggest problem is to find loyal staff who stays with you

Then you can start calculate profit and how much beer you have to sell. 

The biggest problem is brown envelope size. 

My advice once was unless your Thai forget it.

• Thanks 1

A few years ago, someone asked virtually the same question of an elderly ex pat American "firi end" of mine:- 

"Hey, Fred, I'm thinking of buying a bar here. How much do you think I should spend?"

And Fred replied "Well, man, it depends on how much you can afford to lose!"

Sometimes old is wise!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How many beers would you need to sell to make 3000 Baht per day profit ?

Around 600 beers, giving you have a 50 Baht mark up. But then you have to take out running costs, so it is not really a profit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Many farangy's have gone down the pan with their dosh getting involved with beer bars....????

I'm well aware of that but if it was true of all bars there would be no bars. Nobody's charging into a big spend with the wool pulled over their eyes.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I think the glory days of the bars have gone 15 years ago talking to people I know that have had them, and even then it was a tough gig. Maybe 1 out of 10 barely profitable aka break even, and the very few that were moderately profitable. How many bars would there be in Pattaya? And many of the successful ones a lot more knowhow and capital than a bar opened / run by a newb. Would have to be exceptional. I imagine. Most blokes I know opened bars and failed thought it was a business the knew about....aka grog and ho's. Being an alco unfortunately doesnt qualify you to run a business

"Maybe 1 out of 10 barely profitable aka break even......"   Note: - "AKA" = "Also Known As"                                                             "AFAIK" = "As Far As I Know"

Signed :- "MDGP" (Modern Day Grammar Police"! ???? 

• Sad 1