Changing to another health insurance with pre-existing conditions?

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Cataract op is surgery. As said most inpatient policies cover day surgeries like that. For the simple reason that it is less expensive than having the patient admitted overnight which people would otherwise be apt to do.

However some Thai based insurers exclude  cataract surgery, at least  in people they initially insure at an older age. 

This is WRLife. I don't think you can opt to stay in overnight. If the hospital want you in for a couple of hours, I think that's what you will do. Cataract surgery takes less than an hour. Also, eye surgery is a separate package.

I've just tried to ring them. Next step cancellation I think. Their numbers all go to a call centre in Scotland. There is nobody available to answer any questions about any medical procedures. Looking increasingly like a total scam.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They'd be crazy to cover diabetes 2 years no claims or not, too good to be true?

The serenity plans it just says 'to be considered'  The elite plan it says 'Possible full cover after 2 
years moratorium in case there is no event (in or outpatient) connected to the preexisting condition'

So it doesn't say they will cover something after 2 years but they might.

Another thing about wrlife, they don't raise your premium if you have no claims that year.  But if you have a claim your premium goes up 3% the next renewal.

9 hours ago, bradiston said:

This is WRLife. I don't think you can opt to stay in overnight. If the hospital want you in for a couple of hours, I think that's what you will do. Cataract surgery takes less than an hour. Also, eye surgery is a separate package.

I've just tried to ring them. Next step cancellation I think. Their numbers all go to a call centre in Scotland. There is nobody available to answer any questions about any medical procedures. Looking increasingly like a total scam.

Update. They emailed me saying as I didn't have the optical package cataract surgery isn't covered. As of today I'm also looking to switch providers. Why throw good money after bad?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Update. They emailed me saying as I didn't have the optical package cataract surgery isn't covered. As of today I'm also looking to switch providers. Why throw good money after bad?

I guess it depends a lot on the price for the service.

I.e. some time ago I asked my insurance how much they would charge for dental cover. They would cover it. But the limitations were so severe that best case the insurance would cost what they would pay for in the worst case (for them). So it didn't make any sense for me to pay for that extra. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess it depends a lot on the price for the service.

I.e. some time ago I asked my insurance how much they would charge for dental cover. They would cover it. But the limitations were so severe that best case the insurance would cost what they would pay for in the worst case (for them). So it didn't make any sense for me to pay for that extra. 

I've cancelled my WRLife policy. I'll either find another insurer (I was talking to a Thai company previously which has offices near me in Pratamnak) or revert to PAI, at a fraction of the cost. Cover minimal but at least they're not duping you into thinking you're covered when you're not.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

19 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

This is a screenshot current WrLife application form

https://www.wrlife.net/documents/WRLIFE APPLICATION FORM ENGLISH.pdf

image.png.d0f6b5ebe9b2f34ffd4c3bc6dd9cc709.png

What about ears? Are they covered? Or is there an audio package? And an oral package? And feet? Hands? It's just ridiculous. I was on Serenity 400k. Joke. And this form is just the latest development. This company is flying by the seat of its pants.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And are you aware of any decent health insurance which would nor exclude pre-existing conditions but maybe charge extra and then include them?

Not aware of any health insurance that would include pre-existing conditions. 

Yet I still have health insurance here in Thailand.  I am 65 with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions,  and have had insurance for 5 years here to cover accidents, cancer, and all the things that are not related to my pre-existing conditions.  

"Life is not fair, get used to it"    

Likely why many expats claim they "self-insure" here, meaning keep a couple million baht handy in case you need some major medical care.

Good luck, be well, and keep in touch! 

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

What about ears? Are they covered? Or is there an audio package? And an oral package? And feet? Hands? It's just ridiculous. I was on Serenity 400k. Joke. And this form is just the latest development. This company is flying by the seat of its pants.

I have no idea.  There is an optional DENTAL/OPTICAL package on the form at least as on the website today.

Edited by jerrymahoney

32 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have no idea.  There is an optional DENTAL/OPTICAL package on the form at least as on the website today.

Optical means eyeglasses and the like and with any insurer is an add on. Never heard of cataract surgery or other treatment of eye disease  being considered "optical". It is normally vmllcovered under main policy as surgery. 

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Optical means eyeglasses and the like and with any insurer is an add on. Never heard of cataract surgery or other treatment of eye disease  being considered "optical". It is normally vmllcovered under main policy as surger y. 

The answer from WrLife as posted was: They emailed me saying as I didn't have the optical package cataract surgery isn't covered. 

Meaning MAYBE not outpatient eye surgery is covered without the optional package.

You are absolutely correct. They have super low rates to get you in, but first 6 months won't pay anything.

After that, good luck in trying to get your money or directly paid to hospital.

Never raise rates, so how is this possible when medical costs go up about 20% a year.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Likely why many expats claim they "self-insure" here, meaning keep a couple million baht handy in case you need some major medical care.

Couple of million does not go very far if the major medical is of a serious nature if one want to be treated at a private hospital.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

The answer from WrLife as posted was: They emailed me saying as I didn't have the optical package cataract surgery isn't covered. 

Meaning MAYBE not outpatient eye surgery is covered without the optional package.

No maybe about it. Can't pay? Won't pay! Cataract surgery is not covered.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Optical means eyeglasses and the like and with any insurer is an add on. Never heard of cataract surgery or other treatment of eye disease  being considered "optical". It is normally vmllcovered under main policy as surgery. 

I think you could be wrong. Cataract is part of the "optical" package. And only $1000 per annum in cover, meaning not even enough to cover one eye, let alone two.

Screenshot_2023-05-06-13-50-48-855_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg

Edited by bradiston

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

"Dear Valued Client,

Please be advise as per check we regret to inform you we cannot cover the Cataract surgery,

Because you do not have Optical benefits under your Policy.

Serenity Plan: Module 3 Dental / Optical – NO

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Lally"

I think you could be wrong. Cataract is part of the "optical" package. And only $1000 per annum in cover, meaning not even enough to cover one eye, let alone two.

Screenshot_2023-05-06-13-50-48-855_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg

Extremely odd and not what "optical" cover normally means.