Jury finds Donald Trump sexually abused E. Jean Carroll in civil case

Scott

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I suggest you look through the thread. Its nothing to do with that. At least one of the jurors in his disclosures when chosen, admitted he listens to Tim Pool, a far-right, pro-Trump commentator who has aligned himself with figures like Steve Bannon.

He was still allowed to be a juror.

Well he likely will not be the one they use. That leaves the judge and eleven jurors. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Well he likely will not be the one they use. That leaves the judge and eleven jurors. 

You still did not read through the thread and see what an appeal can be based on did you? Its nothing to do with how the jurors were picked or their affiliations, your added comment on the judge was not included in your original post but I see your now attempting a deflection from your original claim.

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You still did not read through the thread and see what an appeal can be based on did you?

I have read through most of the thread. 

Its nothing to do with how the jurors were picked or their affiliations,

How many of the people posting here do you think are civil litigation attorneys in New York? 

your added comment on the judge was not included in your original post but I see your now attempting a deflection from your original claim.

Oh what a wicked we weave: 

post.thumb.jpg.57a0b03e6c1e485734515b6fa2125b30.jpg

I think you should apologize for claiming I was deflecting. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have read through most of the thread. 

How many of the people posting here do you think are civil litigation attorneys in New York? 

Oh what a wicked we weave: 

post.thumb.jpg.57a0b03e6c1e485734515b6fa2125b30.jpg

I think you should apologize for claiming I was deflecting. 

Indeed apologies given for my mistake on not noticing the remark on the judge in your first post. Nothing to do with webs being weaved. However as stated even from Trumps own lawyer:

Trump lawyer rejected claim that juror’s political affiliation signified bias

“A juror’s political affiliation is not grounds for dismissal, even in cases involving a political figure,” said Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina in a May 2 filing that was unsealed by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan on Wednesday. Kaplan ultimately sided with Tacopina’s argument, leaving the juror in place.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/10/trump-lawyer-e-jean-carroll-jurors-00096308

So perhaps next time you say you've read most of the thread, read again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Indeed apologies given for my mistake on not noticing the remark on the judge in your first post. Nothing to do with webs being weaved. However as stated even from Trumps own lawyer:

Trump lawyer rejected claim that juror’s political affiliation signified bias

“A juror’s political affiliation is not grounds for dismissal, even in cases involving a political figure,” said Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina in a May 2 filing that was unsealed by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan on Wednesday. Kaplan ultimately sided with Tacopina’s argument, leaving the juror in place.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/10/trump-lawyer-e-jean-carroll-jurors-00096308

So perhaps next time you say you've read most of the thread, read again.

While a juror’s political affiliation is not grounds for dismissal, being able to show that someone is biased for or against a particular litigant is. 

One really has nothing to do with the other. There is no shortage of Republicans that hate Trump nor Democrats that love him. 

37 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The appeal based on the alleged prejudice of a  juror is an obvious non-starter, since both sides during war dear get to eliminate potential jurors.

As for alleging prejudice on the part of the judge, you might try changing your information diet.

I forgot to check how my voice-to-text funcion interpreted voir-dire. I am so irate about it's misinterpretation that, as far as I'm concerned, this means "war, dear".

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

While a juror’s political affiliation is not grounds for dismissal, being able to show that someone is biased for or against a particular litigant is. 

One really has nothing to do with the other. There is no shortage of Republicans that hate Trump nor Democrats that love him. 

And what would those grounds be if not their political and social views? An explicit promise to find for or against the defendant no matter what evidence or arguments are brought to the case? Good luck with that.

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yet that's not what Trumps own lawyer is claiming if you bothered to read the link. Carroll's lawyer wanted to reject this juror because of his bias but it was denied.

4 minutes ago, seajae said:

considering there is actually no physical evidence to even show he was there let alone he did anything to her and its all just word of mouth only it is pretty much another democrat led BS charge, exactly what you can expect from dems, throw mud and hope it sticks. Trump is his own worst enemy with his mouth but the way dems are trying to attack him is pathetic, shows they know they will lose if he runs again, what a joke US politics really is. In this case she was bank rolled by a far left billionaire associated with soros which is suspect to start then she cannot give a day, time or year it happened so that trump cannot prove he was elsewhere and the judge refused to allow trumps lawyers to cross examine her on where exactly in the store it happened. All this points to a total white wash and set up by the left and will be interesting to see if there is a dismissal in the appeal as what happened is totally a political set up and definitely suspect, no idea when it actually happened and the jury accepted it, what a joke

This was a civil case. A private lawsuit.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is from the MANUAL OF MODEL CIVIL JURY INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DISTRICT COURTS OF THE NINTH CIRCUIT (their caps)

https://www.ce9.uscourts.gov/jury-instructions/sites/default/files/WPD/Civil_Instructions_2023_03_compressed.pdf

The 2nd Circuit does not have an online manual. This is from the 9th circuit as above page 22. (click to enlarge)

image.png.728966bfc71dccc9828dcb677358b431.png

This is from the original complaint by E.J.Caroll: 

CAUSES OF ACTION
COUNT 1
Battery

122. Trump committed battery against Carroll when he forcibly raped and groped her.

Note the word AND as in A-N-D

Edited by jerrymahoney

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that Trump is now facing a second defamation suit by Ms. Carroll.  The man just can not seem to shut his trap and walk away from anything.  

E. Jean Carroll adds Trump’s post-verdict remarks to defamation case - POLITICO

E. Jean Carroll adds Trump’s post-verdict remarks to defamation case

She is seeking at least $10 million more in a second lawsuit against the former president.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seems that Trump is now facing a second defamation suit by Ms. Carroll.  The man just can not seem to shut his trap and walk away from anything.  

She is seeking at least $10 million more in a second lawsuit against the former president.

This is the CNN headline on the same issue:

E. Jean Carroll asks judge to amend lawsuit to seek further damages for what Trump said at CNN town hall

Note the word 'asks'

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/22/politics/e-jean-carroll-damages-trump-cnn-town-hall/index.html

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I don't see what Trump is supposed to say if he never met this woman? I also have MAJOR concerns over the legitimacy of her claims after she posted online she was a massive fan of Trump's Apprentice television show. It would stand to reason that had Trump SA her as she claims that she would likely have been revolted by him afterwards not a big fan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trumps-defense-grills-e-jean-carroll-old-social-media-posts-trial-rape-rcna82254

Plus along with having no physical evidence the event took place as she claimed, she could also not remember when it happened so Trump was unable to give an alibi proving his innocence. How very convenient!! 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I don't see what Trump is supposed to say if he never met this woman? I also have MAJOR concerns over the legitimacy of her claims after she posted online she was a massive fan of Trump's Apprentice television show. It would stand to reason that had Trump SA her as she claims that she would likely have been revolted by him afterwards not a big fan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trumps-defense-grills-e-jean-carroll-old-social-media-posts-trial-rape-rcna82254

Plus along with having no physical evidence the event took place as she claimed, she could also not remember when it happened so Trump was unable to give an alibi proving his innocence. How very convenient!! 

Trump did meet her.  There is a photo of them together.  It's the same photo where he misidentified her as one of his ex-wives, Marla Maples.  In that exchange at his deposition, he pretty much blew his 'I don't know her' defense and his 'she's not my type' claim.  

13 minutes ago, Credo said:

Trump did meet her.  There is a photo of them together.  It's the same photo where he misidentified her as one of his ex-wives, Marla Maples.  In that exchange at his deposition, he pretty much blew his 'I don't know her' defense and his 'she's not my type' claim.  

Yes -- het met her for some number of seconds on a reception line at a charity function.

E. Jean Carroll battery and defamation trial against Donald Trump begins:  What to know | CNN Politics

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thanks 1

trump attacks, again, on TruthSocial, yesterday.

This afternoon, a NY state court judge in an unrelated case will warn Trump about his online behavior.

No clue why he keeps bringing this matter up as it only reminds people, who've moved on in the news cycles, that he's skeevy AF.

Trump Can’t <deleted> About E. Jean Carroll

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-calls-e-jean-carroll-liar-sues-1234740382/

Fw0JWGIWAAYAC56.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is worth noting that Jean Carroll now has celebrity status, unlimited funding for legal services and unlimited press. She's a star now. 

Meaning according to the Florida man disgraced ex president that "unfortunately or fortunately" according to "millions of years" of tradition that she is now at liberty to grab 'em by the CENSORED.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Yeah Trump is such an innocent victim. Everyone and their brother in law is out to get him!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

trump attacks, again, on TruthSocial, yesterday.

This afternoon, a NY state court judge in an unrelated case will warn Trump about his online behavior.

No clue why he keeps bringing this matter up as it only reminds people, who've moved on in the news cycles, that he's skeevy AF.

Trump Can’t <deleted> About E. Jean Carroll

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-calls-e-jean-carroll-liar-sues-1234740382/

Fw0JWGIWAAYAC56.jpg

Now also accusing her of racism...............for someone who claims he never met her before yet on the first meeting she's comfortable enough to call her husband "the ape".

Has to keep adding to his lie tally count I guess.........

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

It is worth noting that Jean Carroll now has celebrity status, unlimited funding for legal services and unlimited press. She's a star now. 

'She's a star now'.

It is also worth noting, according to Trump being a star you can do anything you want.

This likely will include taking him to the cleaners unless he stops the 'hate speech'.

Donald Trump's sex boasts: 'When you are a star they let you do anything' – video | US news | The Guardian

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Like the Donald you mean?

• Haha 1

What to Know About the Adult Survivors Act, New York’s New Law Allowing Civil Suits Over Past Sexual Abuse

Kaplan Hecker & Fink are working with a number of clients filing claims under the ASA. “[W]e are not talking about sending someone back to jail after 25 years,” Tuchman said in an interview, “we are simply talking about monetary relief. Every single person who walks through our doors has incurred enormous costs to try to resolve the mental health struggles they have faced from sexual assault.”

https://www.gothamgazette.com/state/11706-adult-survivors-act-new-york-law-civil-suits-sexual-abuse

This is the same firm representing Ms. Carroll. I wonder how many of the 'number of clients' filing a claim under the NY State Adult Survivors Act, when asked about when their alleged rape/sexual assault occurred, answered: I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

What to Know About the Adult Survivors Act, New York’s New Law Allowing Civil Suits Over Past Sexual Abuse

Kaplan Hecker & Fink are working with a number of clients filing claims under the ASA. “[W]e are not talking about sending someone back to jail after 25 years,” Tuchman said in an interview, “we are simply talking about monetary relief. Every single person who walks through our doors has incurred enormous costs to try to resolve the mental health struggles they have faced from sexual assault.”

https://www.gothamgazette.com/state/11706-adult-survivors-act-new-york-law-civil-suits-sexual-abuse

This is the same firm representing Ms. Carroll. I wonder how many of the 'number of clients' filing a claim under the NY State Adult Survivors Act, when asked about when their alleged rape/sexual assault occurred, answered: I'm not sure.

You're back to that again. She had witnesses back up that she made that at the time of the incident she spoke with them about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

You're back to that again. She had witnesses back up that she made that at the time of the incident she spoke with them about it.

Yes. I posed a reasonable question: Of the number of civil sexual abuse claims that are being handled under ASA by the Kaplan firm, how many of them have a specific date and how many say they "cannot pin down" the date.

In his closing argument on Monday, Trump's lawyer Joseph Tacopina said Carroll's inability to recall the date of the alleged incident made it impossible for Trump to defend himself by citing an alibi, and called the case an "affront to justice."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/closing-arguments-set-rape-defamation-suit-against-trump-2023-05-08/

So is "affront to justice" just legal puffery or is he implying some basis for appeal? Don't know right now.

Edited by jerrymahoney

45 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes. I posed a reasonable question: Of the number of civil sexual abuse claims that are being handled under ASA by the Kaplan firm, how many of them have a specific date and how many say they "cannot pin down" the date.

In his closing argument on Monday, Trump's lawyer Joseph Tacopina said Carroll's inability to recall the date of the alleged incident made it impossible for Trump to defend himself by citing an alibi, and called the case an "affront to justice."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/closing-arguments-set-rape-defamation-suit-against-trump-2023-05-08/

So is "affront to justice" just legal puffery or is he implying some basis for appeal? Don't know right now.

Yet, if he really wanted to defend himself he could have attended court or better still supplied a DNA sample.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Yet, if he really wanted to defend himself he could have attended court or better still supplied a DNA sample.

The trial is over. What is at issue is an appeal. And again, Ms. Roberta Kaplan has said Trump et al have “absolutely zero” grounds for an appeal. 

Edited by jerrymahoney

• 7 months later...