Thai School Principal Unveils Salary Details, Sparks Massive Public Interest

webfact

12 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Economic refugee, in reverse. I cannot have a sustainable monthly working middle class retirement in the USA on my $2400.00 USD total a month ($1526.00 of that from earned Social Security … based on my working life income). So … fairly significant pension? I have joined millions of other working middle class westerners retired to lower cost countries. You have issues with my statement of fact?

Answer a question with a question, eh?

I was only surmising that with your fairly impressive employment record, (..."after a 41 year career as a U.S. educator. Middle school, high school and retired as Professor Emeritus of History and International Programs") you would be getting a fairly substantial "Employees Pension" in addition to the Government pension - that is the way it works (for me) in the UK, a Government Pension, and a Works Pension.

Having said that, as an aside, my Government Pension is "frozen" (i.e. no annual increments that would get paid to me if I lived in the UK, or the Philippines) but my Works Pension is increased every year! However, that is probably worth a different topic altogether!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BusyB said:

She makes 3 times what a hotel worker friend of mine makes doing 9 hours a day, 6 days a week, with 3 weeks a year holiday broken into smaller breaks.

Maybe it's time for your hotel worker friend to look for a better hotel. In some luxury hotels in Bangkok everybody (except management) gets about 20,000 THB per month from the service charge alone, plus salary.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mad mick said:

So you're saying your paid every 3 month your pension UK EU . As far as l know most countries pension paid monthly, Australia is every 2 weeks , few years back was monthly !  l guess Aussie pension dropped to fortnightly in case you dropped dead,  only lost 2 weeks instead of a month Typical of Government's,  Every 3 months ???? or unless you mean > 3 months in total = 1 month  ! ln comparece with Thai School Principe monthly salary , without brown envelope used normally upgrade below average grades D to A 

With my apologies for any confusion, I receive three pensions each month.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Understand, but you are incorrect in your surmising. I do appreciate that as a U.S. citizen we are not discriminated against in receiving any Social Security increases. You have an ally in opposing UK discriminatory retirement benefits (don’t inform US Republicans as I would expect them to want to enforce similar policies in the US).  The USA relies disjointedly on each state as education falls under state not national regulation. While students in the Commonwealth of Kentucky could benefit more than most other states from my education and experience, their pay scale is lower. Yes, my unwise economic choice for which I am paying. So, no there is not a substantial personal pension on US economic standards. Sorry, but all should be aware, dealing with the USA is far more complicated than dealing with countries with more consistent national policies.

Thank you for your eloquent explanation of the situation, and just to raise a point from your last comment:- "..... more consistent national policies."

There is nothing consistent about the way that the British Government choose to pay annual increments on pensions to expats! There was a well publicised situation a few years ago where 2 ladies from the UK decided to move to the USA many years ago, and one ended up living on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, and the other on the USA side - literally a few miles away from each other. One gets the annual increments to her Government Pension and the other one doesn't, with the result that a few years down the line there is a difference in their monthly pensions of hundreds of £'s! All down to "reciprocal agreements" between countries apparently, and nothing at all to do with common sense! Similarly, if I lived in the Philippines, I would get the increments, but as I live in Thailand, I don't! 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

She should  maybe economise a bit instead of wasting money on cosmetic surgery,  Although it obviously was not that expensive (for good reason) those eyes are scary!  I wonder if it was her intention to look like a japanese manga cartoon character

I don't think that has anything to do with her qualifications to be a Head Teacher! You'll be saying that anybody who has a tattoo is a hooligan next! ???? 

• Like 1

The recruitment system for government jobs is weird, think they have the exam every 2 years in Bkk. You have to have a degree in education and as jobs are not advertised they decide how many vaccines they will want to put people on the list for. So the top 400 say will get put on the list and offered jobs as they come up. Last time the Mrs did it over 2k sat the exam and about 250 passed, I think it was 400 they were after, pass mark 60%. The exam is like a large IQ test against the clock and other papers on the law and education, multiple choice. Some of the questions are ambiguous or appear to have more than one right answer. Payment to get on the list used to be rife! Mrs failed.

2 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

This gal's salary is only a fraction of what they are able to rake in by way of corruption. My stepdaughter is a government teacher who manages the accounting for her school, and she tells me horror stories of how much money the director steals from the coffers. Krung Thai Bank gives them over 400,000 Baht per year for the children's lunch fund, and the director steals half of it. She works the teachers to death having them do tasks which are her responsibility while she steps out for "important meetings" that are NOT taking place. When the children go on school trips, the teachers have to pay for the vans out of their own pocket while the director pockets the money dedicated for the trip, and the list goes on and on. These people are nothing but thieves and thugs and deserve to be in prison for the atrocities committed against the teachers and students. My wife is also a former teacher, and she confirms that this type of behavior by school directors is endemic in the society and not just a one-off. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen my stepdaughter come home crying, and there's not a thing she can do about it. If she speaks out, she will lose her job. There's no such thing as an anonymous "whistleblower" here. If they file a complaint, it's widely apparent who is making the claim, so whistleblowing is non-existent. 

The OP states that she is the Principal, and not the School Director. Ask your step-daughter, but I think you will find they are not the same at all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dr B said:

The OP states that she is the Principal, and not the School Director. Ask your step-daughter, but I think you will find they are not the same at all.

The positions may not be the same ,   but "they" are all the same

no further comment from me necessary except that I didn't see anything in the OP to indicate that she was complaining! Please enlighten me/us if you can see anything that indicates that! 

Edited by Pink Mist
Removed quoted post
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

A nice remuneration package for those who are in charge of stupidifying the next generation over 15 years of "education". 

Thailand's education system has been unified nationally from top to down, going through 800+years of absolute and military "leadership." No school principal can change that. There is no local per se means of any electorate that can change such a system.

Consider that for all the national funding gone for education, Thailand ranks in 2023 in the world #89 between Tajikstan and Algeria. Compare to Singapore at #10 and Malasia at #65.

Ref. wisevoter.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisbangkok said:

But Bill , I assume your pensions were accrued on Western salaries so its to be expected they'd be far greater .

Not quite getting your point here ? 

Yes indeed and my apologies for any confusion. I was discussing the lady's "impressive salary" and comparing to my income based on my UK pensions - sorry.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Most teachers pay to get certain position's in certain areas.

Example: landing a job in your village most likely means you won't have to pay rent since your parents live there.

Education and training rarely really makes a difference.

This particular teacher looks as though she landed a good position. 

That could add up lots of off-the-books income.

So, just WHO do teachers have to pay off?  Who's in charge at a school and does the hiring?

I hope they're paid a high enough salary not to be, umm...........tempted.

4 hours ago, wealthychef said:

This is excellent.  Workers should all share information broadly about their employment conditions.  Solidarity brings power.  Secrecy only helps the Overlords maintain their grip.  Now other principals can negotiate their salaries by comparison.  Competition for labor means wages broadly should go up the more wages are shared by workers.

"

'Negotiation' of salaries is very likely not in the picture.

They are gov't employees and like most/all governments there's a published salary scale per level etc., not negotiable. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

So, just WHO do teachers have to pay off?  Who's in charge at a school and does the hiring?

Directors and most head teachers are appointed by committee at a regional level. But quite likely there are people on these committees who carry great power and influence. If such person suggests Ms VVV for a position then that's the way it will 'flow'. 

A twist, at some universities the dean is appointed by a 'civilian' commitee. At other unis it's by vote of all faculty members.

One such case I observed, a large number of faculty members had been lobbying hard for 1 of the 2 candidates. The hard lobbying won the day.

Also in the picture was continuous leaking of surveys of how faculty were thinking/commenting/voting in informal meetings etc.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

For the top position in a school I'd say that's a reasonable sum of money.

There is quite a range in the salaries of Thai government teachers and directors. This particular director's salary is not that high because she is still fairly young. The longer she stays in the job, the more base salary she will get. Most teachers get some sort of pay rise each year, I believe in the range of 2.5-3-% of their base salary.

The two extra amounts in her salary (2 x 5,600) are due to her grade. That's the payment for Grade 3 teachers. Grade 2 teachers get less, grade 1 even less and new teachers even less. 

New teachers start off as Assistant teachers. When they pass their evaluations after about 2 years, they will progress to grade 1.

Grade 1 teachers are called practitioner level.

Grade 2 teachers are called professional level teachers.

Grade 3 teachers are called senior professional teachers. 

But, I hear you say, she is a school director, not a teacher anymore. The following might be news to you, but they are paid no extra for being school directors. They get paid the same base salary as other teachers and the same professional grade payments as other teachers of the same grade. So why do they become directors? A higher status maybe? Or perhaps that they don't have to teach anymore!

56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I'm saying that no one here, including you, has the right to accuse anyone in this OP of being corrupt. 

I'm accusing every Thai school director I've met and worked for (5) of being corrupt and the Ministry of Education (MoE) of being complicit. An umbrella accusation. Pattama obtained her position from the MoE. The list of corruption encompasses.....1) Building tenders

2) African teachers being contracted for 28,000 baht but only recieving 20,000 baht.

3) Charging foodcarts at the front of school for plots on a public road (Dismissed after public outcry)

4) Only purchasing textbooks from the publishers that pay the highest commision not the cheaper/better books.

5) A director owning 3 brand new Mercedes at his home in another province.

6) Using school funds to pay for his trips to underage Cambodian girls across the border.

7) A high school ran out of paper for the printers and had  to delay end of year exams because the budget had been so depleted on excursions. The director dodged the bullet by having his head of finance moved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

The headline says 'principal', further in the report the title 'director' is used. 

Quite meaningful because they are specifically quite different roles and school directors are paid substantially higher.

Which is it?

The first picture in the article in the OP (in Thai) calls her a ผอ (por or), which is short for ผู้อำนวยการ (poo amnuay-gaan). That is usually translated into English as school director, although principal is also heard. 

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

The whole system stinks.

Thai public education stinks.

Corruption is endemic and a way of life within Thailand.  Definitely gotten worse under the current junta. 

Main reason parents send there children to private school if it's a viable option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sambum said:

Thank you for your eloquent explanation of the situation, and just to raise a point from your last comment:- "..... more consistent national policies."

There is nothing consistent about the way that the British Government choose to pay annual increments on pensions to expats! There was a well publicised situation a few years ago where 2 ladies from the UK decided to move to the USA many years ago, and one ended up living on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, and the other on the USA side - literally a few miles away from each other. One gets the annual increments to her Government Pension and the other one doesn't, with the result that a few years down the line there is a difference in their monthly pensions of hundreds of £'s! All down to "reciprocal agreements" between countries apparently, and nothing at all to do with common sense! Similarly, if I lived in the Philippines, I would get the increments, but as I live in Thailand, I don't! 

You have an ally in wanting equal treatment of the retired working middle class.