Another coffee shop near my hotel bites the dust.

steven100

I drink coffee most days and prefer it to be hot ,not warm or lukewarm, if it's not too my liking then I send it back and tell them it's not hot enough. Of course it does help if you can speak some Thai to emphasize your point.

In my experience many coffee places here serve warm tepid coffee, I've made myself a regular at a couple of places where the coffee is nearly always served piping hot so I tend to only use those places.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

I just want you to know it's not a cheap place ... it has fountains and marble ... but no coffee

I don't have fountains, I don't have marble, I don't have an expensive place.

But I do have a coffee machine which makes great coffee... and smile myself.

• Haha 1

From my understanding Coffee need to be brewed at a specific temperature to get the benefit. 

When I order Hot coffee it should be hot I'm the customer paying. 

It is no different for other things in life not just coffee. 

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Coffee shops serve warm coffee and not boiling hot coffee because cups of boing coffee take time to cool down and that causes customers to sit around for longer and less business for the shop .

You go to coffee shops for a coffee , you don't get a guaranteed smile with your coffee and staff shouldn't be forced to smile at customers 

coffee shops serve warm coffee because their baristas are not taught the correct temperature to heat the milk to. They are taught to heat the milk to 60*c when it should be 75*c.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There is also the health and safety issue , boiling hot coffee will scold people if spilt and that's why shops don't use boiling hot water 

since when do coffee shops make hot coffee with boiling water? Cappuccinos, Lattes etc are all made with heated milk which should be heated to 75*c not 60*c as Thai baristas are taught.

9 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

since when do coffee shops make hot coffee with boiling water? Cappuccinos, Lattes etc are all made with heated milk which should be heated to 75*c not 60*c as Thai baristas are taught.

No big deal. It is just milk.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Nothing to do with placebo. Lack of nutrients which most over 50 have.

I think drs are only useful for operations. 

How would you know when the effect is placebo? You are running double blind trials with a statistically significant population of control and trial subjects?

Coffee has some evidence of health benefits in a cardiovascular system, obviously it does nothing for brain cells.

I will shortly be having a hernia operation, forgive me for not enlisting your medical expertise.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well they just need to get their priorities right! You might want to consider moving to a backpackers guest house where they employ their own barista.

do they have a fountain and marble  ?

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

coffee shops serve warm coffee because their baristas are not taught the correct temperature to heat the milk to. They are taught to heat the milk to 60*c when it should be 75*c.

was there not a franchise called '94' as this was considered the perfect temp?

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How would you know when the effect is placebo? You are running double blind trials with a statistically significant population of control and trial subjects?

Coffee has some evidence of health benefits in a cardiovascular system, obviously it does nothing for brain cells.

I will shortly be having a hernia operation, forgive me for not enlisting your medical expertise.

Dont need clinic trials to know. Take mineral A doesnt work. Take mineral B it works. Mineral B is needed.

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Customers sitting at seats waiting for their coffee to cool down are taking up space and stopping other customers sitting down and thats why they serve cool coffees instead of hot ones 

Pure unadulterated nonsense. The time it takes for a coffee to cool down from hot to drinkable is minutes, mainly because the cup absorbs some of the heat.

Secondly whoever made the comment that staff shouldn't have to smile at customers obviously has not run a business which depends on customers and repeat business, and just about every service organisation deems this to be part of "excellent customer service".

Having said all that, I agree with @steven100and on that note, I have visited both the recently reopened Starbucks in Patong (Jungceylon) and the Coffee Club and not only is the service abysmal, the food is mostly grim, and the amount of times I have received the, "no hab" from staff when I have asked for pepper or indeed "equal" (sweetener) is unbelievable and when I ask them if they can order some from Bangkok for the next time I visit, I get a blank stare and they walk away – – and the result is: – I don't go there anymore!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems too many people think it's easy to open and run a coffee shop.

It's not. And they have to sell a lot of coffee to make money.

And there is no such thing as cheap good coffee.

They can sell cheap and bad coffee.

Or expensive and hopefully good coffee.

I think there are more than enough cheap and bad places so I would be surprised if any new places can get away with that.

And it seems there is a limited number of people who are willing to pay >100B for a good coffee.

IMG_20230425_105114.thumb.jpg.2db4de7c80db52590bba6c7d329cb1a9.jpg

There seems to be a huge number of people willing to pay >100 THB for a coffee. 

Pretty much all the nice coffee shops charge more than that.

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well they just need to get their priorities right! You might want to consider moving to a backpackers guest house where they employ their own barista.

But a backpackers guest house won't have marble fountains.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Tinned coffee, 15 baht, pour into cup, microwave 1 minute. Cheaper and IMO better than most shops.

The OP's hotel can't be that upmarket if it has no coffee available on the premises. Even 3-star hotels have a kettle, plus packet coffee, creamer and sugar.

Packet coffee? I thought they were iron filings. Certainly taste like it????

2 hours ago, bignok said:

I'm fit and well. You are not.

Maybe so, physically. You think you are immune from injury or accident?

Let's see how you are traveling at age 80, shall we?

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Dont need clinic trials to know. Take mineral A doesnt work. Take mineral B it works. Mineral B is needed.

Ah, a statistician who can draw valid conclusions from a statistical population and sample of one.

Everyone's physiology and mindset is different. For which I am grateful.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ah, a statistician who can draw valid conclusions from a statistical population and sample of one.

Everyone's physiology and mindset is different. For which I am grateful.

6/6 took benefit from product A not product B. That is highly significant.

No placebo either as they expected B to work.

they are in a service industry ....  oh sorry '   they only care about the thai market, they're not open for tourists to have a coffee.   Well that business model worked well for them ...  they're out of business now.

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Haha 1