Thai baht soars as voters back pro-democracy parties

webfact

1 hour ago, neeray said:

" But, with Parliamentary rules written by the military junta, no coalition is certain just yet in Thailand."

While anything is possible in Thai politics, I highly doubt that any skullduggery will take place this time. The people have spoken; they just wouldn't stand for it.

same as last time i cannot leave U need me?

1 hour ago, fresher said:

At 10pm Monday evening in the UK, the pound has barely moved against the THB

Sterling was doing a bit of strengthening itself due to an interest rate hike. Compare both v USD.

Nevertheless Sterling was close to 43 over a week or so ago....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, neeray said:

" But, with Parliamentary rules written by the military junta, no coalition is certain just yet in Thailand."

While anything is possible in Thai politics, I highly doubt that any skullduggery will take place this time. The people have spoken; they just wouldn't stand for it.

Plenty of pay for votes in the local villages. 

Perhaps Prayut was saving his accumulated wealth?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Admire your optimism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If the ruling Junta influence the EC to evict the MFP there will be hell to pay on the streets.

Prayut and Prawit have had their day, time to retire somewhere sunny on your ill gotten billions.

Saudi's full already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if democracy is ignorated then i fear violence of the people wakes up and i 'm afraid for the future of this country, and the baht can crash very quickly and the poor people will receive the boomerang in the face, very bleak future for young people, too bad....

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's right, it's the same with the dollar if anyone cares to check.

The whole story is just an untruth - the markets did nothing, it's almost like nobody cares - which is probably near the truth.

image.png.9b3f84079e802dfdb60aed8aebc5df17.png

It's been ranging around this level since May 5.

I read it differently.  Remember that markets buy on rumors and sell on the news.  So the improvement in price from Apr 24 to present might be the market reacting to the predicted outcome of a progressive blowout.  When it happened, you can see the market got ready for a disappointment and then corrected back when the results came in.  That's the way I see it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Thought that in 2014 when they stole the country. It could’ve kicked off massively, and many times since, but never did. If the army did their thing again (they won’t give in easily), there would likely be some pushback, but Thais are generally apathetic and most would sadly take it. 

While nothing can be ruled out there has been such a huge and surprising swing towards the opposition parties,and very significantly towards the most radical. A message has been sent and more importantly the electorate know how much stronger they are in te rms of seeking reform. At some point a tipping point is reached and I think this may be it. For sure any attempt to thwart it is going to be very costly and messy and things could turn ugly. 

4 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Click bait. The Baht had been strengthening for days already, and on Monday morning it increased a whopping 0.4% over the previous day. Today it has already inched back.

22.5 to the Australian $.

Err right..

That's totally unamazing. 

• Thumbs Up 1