Thai PM Candidate Faces Disqualification Bid

webfact

Nine years ago, the riots between the yellows and the reds gave the military an excuse to stage a coup, draft a manifestly unfair constitution, and take over or stifle all aspects of society in the name of anti-corruption and law and order. The following nine years have been a period of stultification and stagnation. None of the progress and enterprising spirit on the Thaksin years remain. Not only has Thailand failed to progress, the country has actually gone in reverse in many fields. Thai cinema is a case in point. Now a party has arisen that shows the way forward, and the Thai people have spoken loud and clear in favor of their program.  But that voice is now threatened on the flimsiest of technicalities. It is up to the Senators, judges and other parties not to let this happen. They should put the country and democracy first, as the greatest and most beloved Thai of the past hundred years probably would have counselled. If this doesn't work, however, the Thai people in their righteous indignation must launch a protest movement much greater and more determined than anything seen before.  It has been observed that "freedom isn't free", and that "all that is required for injustice to triumph is for good people to remain silent." If not, "Cry, the Beloved Country" will apply to Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

And so it begins... the establishment will do anything to keep the country in the past. There is far too much power and wealth at stake for a handful of the elite to allow any kind of progress. 

I amazed it took those scum this long to do it waters it been 3 days

• Thumbs Up 1

I jus drove from Bangkok to Korat.  There were an awful lot of army convoys going the other way.  Not one large one, but many smaller ones, as one would do when not trying to attract attention.  I sure hope it's nothing to do with this.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

But it is OK for the military Senators to hold the country to political ransom and ignore what the people have voted for.  

The military hand-picked team... 

5 hours ago, stoner said:

at any cost. 

No surprise. The military will hang on to its grip on power till the very last drop of blood of the ordinary Thai citizen. Disqualify the opposition, all tyrants use this tactic, just look at Hun Sen

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

name the actual electoral laws that MF broke, and I don't mean the FAKE charge of Pita owning iTV shares. It has already been established and declared by Pita with the EC that he does not OWN the shares and even if he did the number of allegedly owned shares are less than 1% of the companies shares, so from my understanding of the situation, no electoral laws have been broken with regards to these trumped up charges. So please enlighten us as to which electoral laws MF did actually break.

ARTICLE 98 of the 2017 Constitution.

If as stated he does not own the shares how could he declare them. The fact that he previously declared them to the NACC is only relevant in the circumstances of alleged concealment. 

As far as I know Pita does not deny the shares only the interpretation of holding them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

name the actual electoral laws that MF broke, and I don't mean the FAKE charge of Pita owning iTV shares. It has already been established and declared by Pita with the EC that he does not OWN the shares and even if he did the number of allegedly owned shares are less than 1% of the companies shares, so from my understanding of the situation, no electoral laws have been broken with regards to these trumped up charges. So please enlighten us as to which electoral laws MF did actually break.

He did own the iTV shares, he even reported them. The company is legally still operating. But you could be right on the 1%. That may rescue him if true. Than there is a complain from BJ against MF lying about their Marijuana policy. But that might go nowhere. That iTV will be interesting.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, austhai said:

He has less than 1% shares in Itv & has been trying to sell them. Its wrong to look for nitty gritty accusations when loosing.  

Not for nor against but the guy should have gotten rid of these shares

How low they are is irrelevant even though it is my understanding that under a certain amount of shares there is no accountability

As for...trying to sell them...as it is a dormant company , the best would have been to give them away by whichever means, unless that cannot be done legally 

18 minutes ago, geoffrobbo said:

No surprise. The military will hang on to its grip on power till the very last drop of blood of the ordinary Thai citizen. Disqualify the opposition, all tyrants use this tactic, just look at Hun Sen

No one claims that the military party broke any election laws.....many other parties did not brake any election laws, why are always the same parties do something obviously wrong?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, alyx said:

Not for nor against but the guy should have gotten rid of these shares

How low they are is irrelevant even though it is my understanding that under a certain amount of shares there is no accountability

As for...trying to sell them...as it is a dormant company , the best would have been to give them away by whichever means, unless that cannot be done legally 

They still have a value.....you can donate them.....I am sure there are legal ways

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

But it is OK for the military Senators to hold the country to political ransom and ignore what the people have voted for.  

It is according to the Constitution.

Talk rigged elections.

• Thumbs Up 1