Rainy Season in Thailand Officially Starts This Week

webfact

image.jpeg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Meteorological Department has reported that the rainy season in the country will officially start on Monday, May 22, 2023.

Precipitation is forecast to be 5% lower than the seasonal average, with heavier downpours expected in August and September before concluding in mid-October.

The department also warns of possible flooding and landslides during this period.

Residents are advised to plan their daily commute and trips accordingly and remember to carry a raincoat or umbrella.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230521161003385

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

so, 40+ and burning sun and heat again today then

By chance they could be right one time...if you predict rain in the raining season it might really happen...

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Does this mean it will get cooler?  My elec bill was another 500 baht more than last month's highest ever.

Think its going down a bit for the next 4 months or so mine this month is a record for me 960 units also ????

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Does this mean it will get cooler?  My elec bill was another 500 baht more than last month's highest ever.

Yes about the same for me, received yesterday. I thought there was supposed to be some reduction in fuel surcharge, but extra consumption, about 100 units more, put paid to that hope. Her mother complained of waking up feeling hot the other day, so I showed her the bill.... she just turned her nose up!  

• Haha 1

33c sunny and humid.  Weather station at the house here says it feels like 41 right now.  No rain on the horizon and just blue sky.  Had a report from a friend in BKK that they got hit hard with rain yesterday but today it is Sunny and warm.....Not the rainy season I remember from years past.

Is there any chance this will stop every man and his dog starting fires in Isaan?........all undergrowth clearance is done by burning.....no one cuts down anything.......we lost 15 new trees yesterday to a fire started by our neighbour.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Last wk they said it starts today. Now it's this week. Tomorrow it will be next Monday but as we all know it normally starts in July sometime. Traditionally the wet season starts on Khoa Phansa which this year is early August.

Uh, no, we don't "all know that" ???? It starts in different months in different places around the country. 

2 hours ago, mikebike said:

Uh, no, we don't "all know that" ???? It starts in different months in different places around the country. 

Last year it started April 15 in Ubon.  In my 20 years here, It can start in April and last until Mid November.  Not sure how the guy you replied to thinks it always starts in July.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish I'd read this thread earlier. We had a nice downpour this afternoon .... but I didn't take an umbrella with me, I got a bit wet. Looking on the bright side, it was definitely cooler today than it was last week. 

21 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

According to the apps on my phone it is indeed going to be rainy, T-storms from today, going forward?

Question is how accurate are the apps?

In my experience not very.... always predicts a few days before it actually happens. 

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

so, 40+ and burning sun and heat again today then

I was optimistic when we had overcast skies in the morning yesterday. But it still got pretty hot. 

22 hours ago, mikebike said:

As I stated Khao Phansa (Buddhist Lent) is seen as the traditional start to the wet season. This happens throughout Thailand on the same day.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:54 AM, mikebell said:

To add insult to injury.... after paying my biggest ever electric bill that morning, Tuesday night I was lay on the sofa sweating and being eaten alive by torchlight as a thunderstorm took my electric out for about 3 +hours! 

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

So next month's bill will be 3 hours down on this one?

Not sure, the fridges etc had to play catch up..... and the AC was still on in her mother's room well after sun up.