Where have all the geckos gone?

3STTW

We've always had a healthy population of geckos outside the house, usually a dozen or so in the patio area and many more around the house. Tonight I counted two - one juvenile in the patio area and an adult near an outside porch light. We also had two 'Tukows' which have disappeared.

Is this a seasonal thing or sign of a predator?

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, BenStark said:

Send me a PM if you want them back, as i'm tired of cleaning up their <deleted> in my rooms

..with all this prolonged intense heat there has been very little insect life..maybe a contributing factor in some areas.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

Apparently MEG (anti-freeze) soaked food permanently removes pigeons.....

When there are flocks around the building killing them off does not work (there’s always more). They land, hang out, then die later on somewhere.

What I need is a repellant so they don’t land or come around in the first place.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

When there are flocks around the building killing them off does not work (there’s always more). They land, hang out, then die later on somewhere.

What I need is a repellant so they don’t land or come around in the first place.

very rarely see dead pigeons same with rats, amazing considering how many there are

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I believe I saw some of the landing deterrents at Homepro.... my cat seems to deter them too, but not the Mynah birds.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

Mosquitoes have disappeared from my house. There was a time when the first thing I did each morning was to zap a few dozen in the kitchen, and mosquito repellant was often on the shopping list, but I haven't bought any in at least six months. Insects are endangered. I saw a solitary butterfly (or moth) a few days ago.

• Sad 1

Stray (feral) cats might be the culprit.. Some ditzy neighbour of ours decided to start feeding a few strays, and in a few months the geckos, birds and squirrels etc had disappeared. (She didn't bother getting them spayed / vaccinated, etc, obviously).

Anyway, she moved on and the cats disappeared thankfully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

Mosquitoes have disappeared from my house. There was a time when the first thing I did each morning was to zap a few dozen in the kitchen, and mosquito repellant was often on the shopping list, but I haven't bought any in at least six months. Insects are endangered. I saw a solitary butterfly (or moth) a few days ago.

I used to live in a place where there were so many mosquito's I kept a zap racket in each room. Before that, I carried the racket with me around the house when I went to the kitchen or bathroom.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We still have plenty of geckoes around, but the insect population is still down. Normally, we get swarms of flying ants/termites attracted to the lights after the first few wet season storms, but nothing so far this year. So, yes, I think it is the hot and dry weather we have been having.

Cats will certainly keep the lizard population down, together with native birds and any other wildlife.

8 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Apparently MEG (anti-freeze) soaked food permanently removes pigeons.....

And every other bird around, I suspect.

Bird traps available on Lazada - then you have a choice.

Eat them or just wring their necks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting replies! I've always regarded geckos as useful friends outside the house. Yeah, they're a pest inside but they're not as bad a mice.

We had one feral cat which used to sh!t all over the yard but we haven't seen the arrogant f***er for a while now, but he had a taste for snails and birds, never bothered the geckos.

I was worried that we might have a pit viper or suchlike in the vicinity.

• Like 1