Dumbing Down The Food

JimTripper

A tourist lady dragged me to "Asiatique" once. I ate what was the most expensive and simultaneously

blandest Thai food I have ever here. It has been explained by some that we foreigners just want big portions with extra meat and don't complain about price. There is some real good food in Southern California but same for some Thai restaurants in US. "Can I get extra chicken? " They don't have to try too hard so they don't bother.

Some anecdotes.

If you can communicate this in Thai or English if they understand, it tends to help:

I will not send back the food no matter how spicy!

That's what they're really worried about. Complaining f-rangs insisting they redo the dishes and costing them money!

One time this happened. I asked for phet phet at a shophouse restaurant probably for a krap pow.

They served me a plate that was piled high with bird <deleted> chilies as a prank.

Nobody wants that Thai or f-rang.

So they were all staring and laughing at me.

I said nothing, picked through the food enjoying some of the chilies. I was sweating bullets, but I just paid and of course never went back.

Thinking about that considering the huge amount of bird <deleted> chilies they used they must have lost money on that sale. Serves them right.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is not new and it is not only about Thai food.

It's even more of an issue with Indian food in Thailand.

As I'm a spicy and chili head I have a lot of experience with this and bottom line there are no easy or universal solutions.

Sometimes I ask for extra spicy and sometimes I say nothing.

Some will automatically go bland because you're a f-rang and some won't.

Some respond to requests, some won't.

I've had Indian restaurants serve me bland city after I asked for spicy and I ask them did you not hear me?!?

And they say yes we heard you but we didn't believe you.

Maybe next time we'll listen (there won't be a next time).

A big problem with asking for spicy on some dishes is that almost always they will make ALL the dishes spicy even dishes that aren't supposed to be spicy that you don't want spicy.

I've had cases where I don't ask for spicy and the food comes super spicy by default and I wonder what it would be like if I had asked!

Obviously if you're a regular at a restaurant you have a chance to "train" them over time for what you really want.

Oh well.

I’m getting a lot of problems when they “ask me”. I’m going to just wander off and figure they will make it as it’s supposed to be, or oh well, try another place next time.

Liked it better up north where they don’t kiss <deleted> so much and just make it like it’s supposed to be without asking.

3 hours ago, marin said:

You are going to restaurants that cater to farung. So change where you go. Hit up a "Khao Gaeng" shop for some curry. Or get out of the tourist area and order a street side Krapow Mu. You will find what you are looking for, if that is the real Thai taste. 

24ea50d7f0f7cda3cb81cdc0e6e1b8f1f20d230e.jpg

pad-kaprao.jpg

The problem with most of that food is it's cold    !   it's been sitting there for 3 hours ....     as such it's yuk   !!     

I much prefer something cooked so it's served up hot.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

The problem with most of that food is it's cold    !   it's been sitting there for 3 hours ....     as such it's yuk   !!     

I much prefer something cooked so it's served up hot.

Not if you get it at the local Thai market. It’s fresh there because it’s setup for Thais each night. Also, they can’t mess with the ingredients because it’s already cooked. ????

That’s where I went wrong. I used to buy almost always at the market, but switched to getting it cooked when I moved to a touristy area from places that served a lot of foreigners, because it was easier and the thing to do. Fortunately there are some fresh markets in my neighborhood I can’t wait to check out.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thai food is fun for a little while, not the rest of my life. I cook my own food now where ever i go.  You can be sure the quality is much better when you buy your own produce.  Check out a 'folding electric cooking pot" on Lazada.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some anecdotes.

If you can communicate this in Thai or English if they understand, it tends to help:

I will not send back the food no matter how spicy!

That's what they're really worried about. Complaining f-rangs insisting they redo the dishes and costing them money!

One time this happened. I asked for phet phet at a shophouse restaurant probably for a krap pow.

They served me a plate that was piled high with bird <deleted> chilies as a prank.

Nobody wants that Thai or f-rang.

So they were all staring and laughing at me.

I said nothing, picked through the food enjoying some of the chilies. I was sweating bullets, but I just paid and of course never went back.

Thinking about that considering the huge amount of bird <deleted> chilies they used they must have lost money on that sale. Serves them right.

lol    I got the somtam with 8 chilis once....ONCE...i suffered thru it as well..as i can usually get it down..the problem comes to getting it out...blew out my O ring!  thankful for the bum gun!

Yep ive seen tourist areas and thais cut the spice for farangs.....i suggest adding the chili on the table or go to local market that has the premade food.......if you really wanna torture yourself

also thais seem to express shock when i say i can eat spicy as thais think they are exclusive to it

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, marin said:

Then you will get bland gunk. Without the chilis at all there is no Thai taste. Phet Noi would be better. Not Hot, Not delicious is not what you are looking for. 

dont forget a heaping spoon of MSG.......mai sai pong chuu rott     aka No MSG

endless spices and herbs in thailand and they all use that junk.....smh

7 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

lol    I got the somtam with 8 chilis once....ONCE...i suffered thru it as well..as i can usually get it down..the problem comes to getting out out...blew out my O ring!  thankful for the bum gun!

Yep ive seen tourist areas and thais cut the spice for farangs.....i suggest adding the chili on the table or go to local market that has the premade food.......if you really wanna torture yourself

also thais seem to express shock when i say i can eat spicy as thais think they are exclusive to it

Yeah as a matter of principle I've never sent back a dish for being too spicy and yes it happens occasionally.

OK I had one incident which totally was my fault with my macho chili head hubris.

This was at a trendy Korean place in the US all ethnic Koreans other than my table.

They had spice level choices.

So for my dish which had a broth I chose the hottest without batting an eye. Called something like Suicide.

Well golly be what a scene!

The chef came out twice to warn me against it telling me nobody had ever actually ordered it before. I persisted. I was made to sign a legal disclaimer.

So at this point everyone in the restaurant is already staring.

So the dish comes out and it's super wicked hot as expected but I liked the overall flavor and no problem to eat it. I'm sure they really gave me the Suicide as it really was that hot.

The staring Koreans were less impressed than thinking me crazy.

But I didn't have the last laugh. Stomach pain issues won't say more.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

sidenote --Nam Jim Jaew is my favorite thai sauce....kinda like a spicy tamarind sauce but man of man that can be packed full of chilis.....also some of the korean bbq sauce dips at 7-11/tesco

So i bought a cloth mesh bag to strain the sauce and get all those chili seeds out as they can just sit in my gut all night and reek havoc......the seeds and the oil get ya..not so much the chili

so sauce is better now..all the flavor without those pesky chili seeds...makro sells a good sauce

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK I had one incident which totally was my fault with my macho chili head hubris.

This was at a trendy Korean place in the US all ethnic Koreans other than my table.

They had spice level choices.

So for my dish which had a broth I chose the hottest without batting an eye. Called something like Suicide.

Well golly be what a scene!

The chef came out twice to warn me against it telling me nobody had ever actually ordered it before. I persisted. I was made to sign a legal disclaimer.

So at this point everyone in the restaurant is already staring.

So the dish comes out and it's super wicked hot as expected but I liked the overall flavor and no problem to eat it. I'm sure they really gave me the Suicide as it really was that hot.

The staring Koreans were less impressed than thinking me crazy.

But I didn't have the last laugh. Stomach pain issues won't say more.

your stomach didnt have issues it had subscriptions!!

the disclaimer! I used to cook at a bar with wings and we made our own sauces --one was all habanero peppers--kosher salt and vinegar...blend and boil.......911 wings.....had to sign off on them

a dude got carry out every week  25 wings with that sauce and a extra sauce on side--i always wanted to see him eat them in house but i get why maybe he always ordered carry out!

I also touched my eye without thinking while prepping sauce and went to pee without washing my hands before....................never again.....was decades ago...but still fells like yesterday

I learned a life lesson that day.....(shudders)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

As a tourist I have to remember to get my girlfriend to say medium thai style. No MSG too. Some dishes no sugar. In Khao Lak last week we told them but they interpreted that differently and my Tom Yum was like a sweet tomato soup. Tourist prices too so not happy. 

Often green and red curries are sweet and boring. Given up on them a bit. The test of a restaurant can be for Massaman. Is it dark brown and thick and tasty or is it a light brown watery insipid generic curry. 

just get the curry paste and coconut milk and make you own level..easy....they have packets of paste for yellow--red  green massaman and even hinlay..........i get some rice--chicken--scallions..maybe potato+carrots for massaman.....and japanese curry too

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

your stomach didnt have issues it had subscriptions!!

the disclaimer! I used to cook at a bar with wings and we made our own sauces --one was all habanero peppers--kosher salt and vinegar...blend and boil.......911 wings.....had to sign off on them

a dude got carry out every week  25 wings with that sauce and a extra sauce on side--i always wanted to see him eat them in house but i get why maybe he always ordered carry out!

I also touched my eye without thinking while prepping sauce and went to pee without washing my hands before....................never again.....was decades ago...but still fells like yesterday

I learned a life lesson that day.....(shudders)

For acamic interest the problem was actually pain not the runs. I know. TMI.

Wouldn't order again.