The many blessings of Farangs. Chapter 77.

swissie

1 hour ago, swissie said:

The ones that have property for rent in their home country (earning tons of money from rental income).

I think it's always funny to read such sentences.

If that is a way to make tons of money, then why don't you buy property and make those tons of money?

And there is a category c) Farangs who bought their own condominiums in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, swissie said:

There are 2 kinds of Farangs in Thailand:
a) The ones that have property for rent in their home country (earning tons of money from rental income).
b) The ones that can still rent an appartement for little money in Thailand (compared to the rental situation in Europe).

There are more than just those 2 types.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

over-generalizations 

everyone is in a different boat

cost of living may be higher in the west, but a lot of people work well into their 70s.

lower cost of living in thailand can lull you into complacency and then financial problems. 

Working well into my seventies...what a bright future! Looks like I still have more than 10 years working life left. However in 10 years maybe working until mid eighties may become popular, so who knows.

• Haha 2

I'm grateful I had the foresight of keeping my properties in the US for rent. Besides a bit of side money, I'll always have a place to park my weary bones. I couldn't imagine the grief some feel knowing they can never afford to return because of high rents.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just back from prepping my house as an Air BNB. Def crazy-expensive to get it up to a standard at which a vacation property manager would take it on as a listing. I could be waiting 2 years to be in the black on it.

I'll be happy for the rentals to cover my overhead costs for the first year. Vacation renters will be needlessly blasting the a/c and taking long, hot showers on my dime, just like I would. Plus there is the natural wear and tear of people coming and going. The agent tells me that this is a business you build over a few years. Plus, post-covid, everyone and their brother is moving back to Mama's and trying to rent out there subpar brick ranch.

Our agent only takes on about one property in twenty pitched to her (and takes a whopping 25%, but does everything). We basically have an A+ house in a C+ area of great natural beauty. If we were an hour south in a B+ area, we could keep it fully rented for double our going rate.

I'd imagine "lucky" brits owning properties in places like Chelmsford instead of London have the same mixed bag of luck.

On the other hand, living in one of the better locations in Nimman, my rent is what my gas and electric bill was alone back in the states. So call me grateful to be both #1 and #2 camps.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm grateful I had the foresight of keeping my properties in the US for rent. Besides a bit of side money, I'll always have a place to park my weary bones. I couldn't imagine the grief some feel knowing they can never afford to return because of high rents.

Yes, you nailed it.  I had a chance to purchase a 'great' little property back in '98, but I didn't pursue it (because I could figure out how to take care of it 15k miles away).  Them's the breaks, but I don't want to go back there anyway.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I had the strong feeling in Europe that life over there is simply not worth the money you have to pay ... taxes , fees , prices for food , rent ... a lot of angry people over there ... With all the downsides to Life in Thailand , after all , it is still much better here .

Depends on your income of course. And if you can afford to pay tax you're generally doing OK where I live.

EU/LOS - swings and roundabouts. And I like both. 

And most people I know where I live in Europe aren't angry. Strikes me there are many more angry and resentful posters on ASEANNow. They'll be angry wherever they go though. 

Edited by BusyB

On 6/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's always funny to read such sentences.

If that is a way to make tons of money, then why don't you buy property and make those tons of money?

And there is a category c) Farangs who bought their own condominiums in Thailand.

Category a): Of course, only if they bought their property 20 or 30 years ago in Farangland and now collecting todays rents.
How sweet it must be for those that havn't sold their property upon heading for paradise.

On 6/7/2023 at 1:11 AM, stoner said:

i thnk the op is jealous of something. 

No. Have been into stocks since 1972. Buying, hardly ever selling anything. Started with little money in 1972. So, today I am fine.

For spice, I always traded commodities as well with a limited amount of money. With limited success. Just for spice.

On 6/7/2023 at 1:50 AM, nobodysfriend said:

I had the strong feeling in Europe that life over there is simply not worth the money you have to pay ... taxes , fees , prices for food , rent ... a lot of angry people over there ... With all the downsides to Life in Thailand , after all , it is still much better here .

This summarises the essence of my thread nicely. Enjoy living in Thailand. As long as it lasts.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 3:03 PM, BusyB said:

And most people I know where I live in Europe aren't angry. Strikes me there are many more angry and resentful posters on ASEANNow. They'll be angry wherever they go though. 

Lots of angry westerners. Lots of shallow ones too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Yes, they are a subset of the butterflies. Very needy and insecure.

The western "butterflyes" and the Thai "butterflyes" (in combination) made Pattaya "great". Nobody else.