The top 10 countries Brits want to spend their retirement in, according to new study

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai, in the northern region, offers breathtaking scenery with many mountains and country roads for peaceful living.

Unfortunately, the air is also breathtaking (barely breathable) for a good chunk of the year. And it just seems to be getting worse year after year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

My niece bought an estate in France in 2012 moved there, went on holiday to Portugal in 2016 bought there after falling in love with it, another very expensive place, renovated that as well, last Dec she sold up and moved to Scotland never having been there before, according to her France was too cold in the winter and the Portuguese are racist and mysoginist, not heard from her about the Scots as yet.???? 

Some of the place such as Spain, Portugal , Malta and Greece are particularly attractive to Britons since brexit for attaining a EU member passport and easy access to the EU community. For an real-estate investment for a certain amount depending on the country (Greece is 250k euros it is called the golden visa,)  you get permanent residency and after 5 years in Greece you are eligible for citizenship and a Greek passport, in Malta is only 110 K Euro investment but there is a longer wait for citizenship. Spain is attractive to Britons because it is closer to the UK but their golden visa requires 2,000,000 euros investment,  etc. As I said Portugal was attractive for many reasons and close to the UK but they are eliminating their golden visa option , I think the objection was that locals were being priced out of the market. 

Anyway food for thought as plan B to Thailand 

• Like 1

My brother sold his business and moved to Spain last year. The visa requirements are not particularly onerous - IIRC €2500/month income plus €500/month for wife plus health insurance. After 5 years he can get permanent residency. Or you can get a long term visa by buying a house for €500k+, which by UK standards is not a lot.

The estate agent he dealt with in Spain told him that one of the benefits of Brexit for the Spanish is no more low-income British pensioners moving there and struggling to live on €1000/month.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gaccha said:

Not only does that smog take our breath away but it creates a beautiful and mesmerising orangey aesthetic perfect for photos to show the grandkids. 

Rather like an old Polaroid from the 70's

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Some of the place such as Spain, Portugal , Malta and Greece are particularly attractive to Britons since brexit for attaining a EU member passport and easy access to the EU community. For an real-estate investment for a certain amount depending on the country (Greece is 250k euros it is called the golden visa,)  you get permanent residency and after 5 years in Greece you are eligible for citizenship and a Greek passport, in Malta is only 110 K Euro investment but there is a longer wait for citizenship. Spain is attractive to Britons because it is closer to the UK but their golden visa requires 2,000,000 euros investment,  etc. As I said Portugal was attractive for many reasons and close to the UK but they are eliminating their golden visa option , I think the objection was that locals were being priced out of the market. 

Anyway food for thought as plan B to Thailand 

Never heard of this 2 million Euro  investment. I have a niece just bought there and has residency and I know for certain she had no 2 million to invest ! 

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes. That would be amazing wouldn't it? 

We had plans to retire to France.  Had been saving up and looking at properties.  

Can't do it now. Stuck here in thailand or go back to UK are our only realistic options.  

What's wrong with Portugal ?

15 hours ago, proton said:

Friend bought in Spain now can only spend 90 days at most there, if there was a visa I think they would have found one in the last 3 years

I've been retired in Thailand for almost 20 years - retirement visa (Sorry, extension of visa based on retirement) for a few years, and for the rest of it, based on marriage to a Thai national. Only problem is that my UK pension is "frozen" due to Thailand not having a "reciprocal" agreement with the UK ???? ????

16 hours ago, proton said:

I thought Brits could only spend a total of 90 days a year in EU countries now, so how can they retire there?

It's just 90 days in any 180 days. But you can't stay for 180 days straight off. Only 90 days maximum in one stay then you need to leave the EU zone for 90days, ie: if you choose to do a continuous 90 day stay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil1964 said:

t's just 90 days in any 180 days. But you can't stay for 180 days straight off. Only 90 days maximum in one stay then you need to leave the EU zone for 90days, ie: if you choose to do a continuous 90 day stay.

Same for US citizens also. After spending three months in Schengen area, must wait another three months from the last date of departure from the Schengen area before you can apply to enter the Schengen area again without a visa. 

Digital nomads (Non-european, mostly US) in 2008 used stay three months in any of the 25 (san Croatia which is Schengen member now) countries and then go to a non-Schengen area (mostly nomads will flock to Croatia, Ukraine, Georgia, etc.). That's how the nomads discovered those countries and made them popular in the nomad communities. One of my friend bought a place in Kiev and did very good reporting in social media in early phases of the War when Ukrainian refugees were pouring into Poland and Hungry.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, proton said:

My niece bought an estate in France in 2012 moved there, went on holiday to Portugal in 2016 bought there after falling in love with it, another very expensive place, renovated that as well, last Dec she sold up and moved to Scotland never having been there before, according to her France was too cold in the winter and the Portuguese are racist and mysoginist, not heard from her about the Scots as yet.???? 

Scotland?  I've heard the name.   Isn't that where transwomen can undress wherever they wish?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is in fourth place. Chiang Mai, in the northern region, offers breathtaking scenery with many mountains and country roads for peaceful living.

If you can stand the smoke.

• Sad 1