In reality, Thailand is not the LGBTQ+ paradise like it pretends to be

webfact

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is the Mary Jane question?

Is it like the Nit or Noi question? Which one should I take out tonight?

LOL you know that green plant that everyone is selling all of a sudden.  Tried using old american slang sorry

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the official reasons from Thai politicians and Thai people. I am sure many people have many different opinions.

It seems some (most) activist want that LBGTQ+/- are treated exactly like male/female couples. And that is something many of us don't support.

Personally I think they should have something like a legal partnership with rights to make decisions if one of them is in hospital. Or inheritance laws.

What I don't want is that same sex couple can adopt children because I think that is, in general, not good for the children.

Some rights are fine. Treating them as if they are 100% the same doesn't make sense, because they are not 100% the same. 

So you oppose equal civil rights.

Not impressed.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Would you agree that older gays can remember when things weren't free at all. That in many countries it remains that way. That in western countries there are a fair few that are against gay relationships but much less than before. So though gay rights may seem ho hum it's not exactly the same as thin or blonde people rights. It has not been plain sailing so let them have their day in the sun. 

Gays as a whole may celebrate a bit differently but most gays are boring and normal as seen by some on this site. If the parents are not happy with kids seeing the parade it is there responsibility to take them away. Do you really want a generic world where everyone is the same and celebrates the same. 

I guess some don't want gays to be uppity. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What others?

It varies country by country. 

The stated goals of Thai LGBT activists were seen in pride parade here.

Marriage equality 

Right to change gender on IDs

Legalization of prostitution 

Better access to LGBT relevant health care

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

We do not want Thailand to become an LGBTQ+ paradise!

????

too late ... obviously you don't live here, or don't go outside much.  I really can't think of a better place for the alphabet crowd to live, other than TH.

'Coming Out' ... waving one's freak flag is so accepted here, it's not even noticed.  Pride Month, IMHO, is a bit silly here, and surely just a money maker for the special interest groups.  

Bring awareness to who, as people stopped living in caves here 1000s of years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the country has yet to officially pass any regulations for all gender inclusive.

We don't need regulations, the trans community is accepted as it is. Unlike countries where there is regulation, just for political reasons and still not accepted. For example, Joe Biden passed laws for LBGQT despite for years apposing gay marriage and gays in the army. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Such as?

Well, at least it's easier to tell your family you are gay, compared with telling them you support Trump, ????

Not sure if I have the freedom of speech to say this here, but some consider it to be a cult.

Such as watch this

Depends on the specific families. 

Of course you have the freedom. 

What's a cult? Pride month?

Having a LGBTQ identity?

I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

too late ... obviously you don't live here, or don't go outside much.  I really can't think of a better place for the alphabet crowd to live, other than TH.

'Coming Out' ... waving one's freak flag is so accepted here, it's not even noticed.  Pride Month, IMHO, is a bit silly here, and surely just a money maker for the special interest groups.  

Bring awareness to who, as people stopped living in caves here 1000s of years ago.

There are specific civil rights demands that have not been met.

That's not silly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Just like democracy in this country, the LGBTQ+ rights are also just illusional (well, at least there’s hope for our democratic system right now). You may think that Thailand seems like the sweetest paradise when it comes to being an LGBTQ+ person, but under this rainbow surface, the country has yet to officially pass any regulations for all gender inclusive.

Goes for Thailand as a whole really, scratch the surface and something underlying doesn't seem like the brochure.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Such as watch this

Depends on the specific families. 

Of course you have the freedom. 

What's a cult? Pride month?

Having a LGBTQ identity?

I don't think so.

The way that schools are systematically indoctrinating students with gender ideologies.

Teachers are also not allowed to inform parents of their child's preferred gender creating distance and trust issues between parent and child.

Parents who don't affirm their child's gender with medical treatment can be arrested and lose their child..

Nobody is allowed to speak out against this. That freedom of speech has been taken away. It's even illegal on some places.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Yeah,

Fat bearded trannies doing drag story hour in Thai primary schools.

When this is on your mind do you ever feel sucked in by the media. So many things to concern you but you worry about this. They had a protest at a library in my country of Australia recently and it made it seem so silly. Someone dressed up for effect telling kids an entertaining story. 30 minutes. It's over. No talk of sexuality or trans issues - a bit of fun for all. No one had to or was influenced to attend. Silly protest in my opinion egged on by watching Fox News 1000 miles away. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Tell me this, why do these LGBT transvestite story tellers only target little kiddies to entertain? you never hear about them going into mental hospitals, or old people homes, it's always impressionable vulnerable children they want sitting on their knees.

As far as I know it's not really a thing. Someone probably thought it up for a bit of fun. A bit like pantomime. In other words I don't think there is some international network of drag story tellers. It probably happened a few times and the media got onto it. Is there an example of it happening and a child was lead astray after story time, following a path of boiled lollies or something, into the lair of a drag queen. Not that I have heard of. Don't believe the hype. Its a big nothing. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There are specific civil rights demands that have not been met.

That's not silly.

I believe they have just as many civil rights as every one else, except with the benefit or punishment of marriage, within same sex couples.

I wish I wasn't allowed to be married the first 3 times, as would have been a blessing.   Why young or any person wants to legally complicate their lives with marriage is a head scratcher.

Any other 'living partnership' can be documented by mutual agreement, and will stand up in any court, if needed.

Only thing I think is missing, and not necessarily a 'right', would be medical coverage of 'unmarried' life partner.   But companies are doing this without legal marriage, at least the last one I worked for.  

That's if your company even gives you, the worker, health bennys.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, proton said:

Tell me this, why do these LGBT transvestite story tellers only target little kiddies to entertain? you never hear about them going into mental hospitals, or old people homes, it's always impressionable vulnerable children they want sitting on their knees.

If I recall you like those big Thai shows with the singers and comedians. Don't they have dress ups and innocent sexual innuendo. Kids in attendance. The sort of innuendo there would not be at this type of thing where there would be strict controls. No sitting on knees. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the official reasons from Thai politicians and Thai people. I am sure many people have many different opinions.

It seems some (most) activist want that LBGTQ+/- are treated exactly like male/female couples. And that is something many of us don't support.

Personally I think they should have something like a legal partnership with rights to make decisions if one of them is in hospital. Or inheritance laws.

What I don't want is that same sex couple can adopt children because I think that is, in general, not good for the children.

Some rights are fine. Treating them as if they are 100% the same doesn't make sense, because they are not 100% the same. 

Thank you. You've demonstrated exactly why Pride is still needed. Hard - earned equality can be lost with views like these.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

. We’d talk about LGBTQ+ for a bit and once June has passed, everything goes back to normal like Pride Month was just one of those marketing campaigns

Just like Christmas or any other celebration ,Maybe if your gay or one of the other genders ,

you would love it to go on forever , but just be lucky its all of June , when will there be a month

to celebrate Pensioners, Doglovers, Expats , etc , ect , 

regards Worgeordie

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just like Christmas or any other celebration ,Maybe if your gay or one of the other genders ,

you would love it to go on forever , but just be lucky its all of June , when will there be a month

to celebrate Pensioners, Doglovers, Expats , etc , ect , 

regards Worgeordie

Christmas goes on for six months; there's Christmas fare in the shops in September and panto until March.  People seem to cope. ???? 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I believe they have just as many civil rights as every one else, except with the benefit or punishment of marriage, within same sex couples.

I wish I wasn't allowed to be married the first 3 times, as would have been a blessing.   Why young or any person wants to legally complicate their lives with marriage is a head scratcher.

Any other 'living partnership' can be documented by mutual agreement, and will stand up in any court, if needed.

Only thing I think is missing, and not necessarily a 'right', would be medical coverage of 'unmarried' life partner.   But companies are doing this without legal marriage, at least the last one I worked for.  

That's if your company even gives you, the worker, health bennys.

in Thailand the law is a bit different, and you can't register as a couple, and if so you go to a lawyer as we did, but still it is not been seen as a relationship for the Thai law.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly. I am a fairly liberal person (in the classic sense of the word, not the politcially hijacked sense) but I feel no need to celebrate it.

I have no issue with LBGT or whatever. Each to their own. But I have no desire to celebrate people being gay any more than celebrating they are straight, Catholic, short, thin, black, blonde, freckled or whatever.

Perhaps if they stopped drawing attention to their differences they would just fit in more easily and be more readily accepted. Of course, it appears that being treated as normal is the last thing many of these people want. They want to be the centre of attention, special, to be celebrated, admired. Hence the parades where they dance around half naked flaunting their sexuality, often in front of children.

The issue is not with the LGTBQ+ itself

The extremes that want to take it up 2 notches.  I am willing to bet that most live good lives and are open about what they are but do not seek extremes like drag queens,  Walking into schools to teach and such.

Considering that this is SE ASIA I think that the feeling and understanding of the 3rd gender is outstanding.  People for the most part accept them.

As I said earlier we tend to forget that Thailand has for the most part been in a military OLD MONEY world.  Therefore a lot of the things that we in the west know have not reached or been allowed to function.  

Let me ask this question,

Name a big city in the west that would allow open bars with drag shows and gay sections again in an open-air setting. in major tourist areas.

How many have cabarets like Tiffany's or such (excluding Vegas).

There are a lot of t hings wrong with this country that governments need to fix the question is this s top priority over minimum wage, hospitals and retirement

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Thank you. You've demonstrated exactly why Pride is still needed. Hard - earned equality can be lost with views like these.

I think it will always be needed. You can change laws but you can't force people to not be homophobic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1