Pattaya - Has anyone done the 50k photo verification yet? if so which bank and branch?

scubascuba3

4 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

I lived in Pattaya for 2 years and knew most of what was happening now I'm out of the country but still have two bank accounts so what is this 50k photo verification?

You should read the whole thread first..But because you obviously haven't, this is part of a post by another member (just a few posts above this one) that explains why.

Just in case you missed my 2nd post I'm going to repost verbatim the reply I received from Bank of Thailand.

"Facial Recognition is a requirement in Thailand for ALL retail customers, INCLUDING FOREIGNERS, when transferring more than 50k baht per transaction or 200k baht per day via Mobile banking.

Foreigners who haven't updated their facial photos must update the photo at bank branches with their passport"

• Like 2

I called K Bank call center today.

Currently does not apply at all to foreigners for domestic or international funds transfers, regardless of amount and regardless of location in Thailand.

Not yet certain but perhaps 8 to 10 months into the future might be introduced for foreigners. If it happens same 'rules' as Thai customers. 

Call center lady shared that total numbers and scope etc., of banking scams (Thailand and globally) is enormous and growing. Don't be surprised at some new multi factor 'security' systems being  introduced .

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jesimps said:

Did my Krungsri a few days ago at Central Festival. Tried the same venue for my Bangkok Bank, but because I needed to update passport number, they sent me to my original branch. I don't know if they'd have done the photo if it wasn't for that. Anyway, my branch on the darkside did it. SCB at Central said that I didn't need it doing yet.

At the big K Bank branch at Big C Chiang Mai recently, the supervisor was hovering, she noticed my pink ID card an immediately offered (good English) to enter the pink ID number and cancel passport number.

I mentioned 'this K bank a/c not opened at this branch'.

Her instant reply 'not imortant at all, and K Bank is moving away from a/c's being linked to branches'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, couchpotato said:

You should read the whole thread first..But because you obviously haven't, this is part of a post by another member (just a few posts above this one) that explains why.

Just in case you missed my 2nd post I'm going to repost verbatim the reply I received from Bank of Thailand.

"Facial Recognition is a requirement in Thailand for ALL retail customers, INCLUDING FOREIGNERS, when transferring more than 50k baht per transaction or 200k baht per day via Mobile banking.

Foreigners who haven't updated their facial photos must update the photo at bank branches with their passport"

and there's many posts in this thread saying members have contacted their Thai banks who said clearly  'only applies to Thai customers'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

and there's many posts in this thread saying members have contacted their Thai banks who said clearly  'only applies to Thai customers'.

only because they haven't bothered to get their system changed yet. Another bank mentioned in another thread said foreigners have to visit branch to make 50k+ transfers

16 hours ago, doctormann said:

Because Immigration will not accept statements printed from TTB online banking.  They also require a conformation letter from the bank that you actually 'own' the account.  Bank passbook - yes, we are still in some previous age - must be updated on the same day that you update your permission to stay and the balance in the passbook must match the figure quoted in the confirmation letter exactly.  Crazy but TiT so we expect no less!

Immigration will accept bank statements you print yourself from online banking as long as they are printed in colour. If you print them in colour there's no way for Immigration to know who printed them, you or the bank. I've been printing my own statements, in colour, since it became necessary to provide them. However, I do get my bank to stamp the most recent statement (viz the one printed on the morning I go to the bank for my bank guarantee letter) and I've never had them rejected. Occasionally an IO will ask if they are originals and I just tell him/her "yes", which they are. Perhaps CM Immigration is a bit more progressive on this than other Immigration Offices.

Edited by TigerandDog
correction

14 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Immigration will accept bank statements you print yourself from online banking as long as they are printed in colour. If you print them in colour there's no way for Immigration to know who printed them, you or the bank. I've been printing my own statements, in colour, since it became necessary to provide them. However, I do get my bank to stamp the most recent statement (viz the one printed on the morning I go to the bank for my bank guarantee letter) and I've never had them rejected. Occasionally an IO will ask if they are originals and I just tell him/her "yes", which they are. Perhaps CM Immigration is a bit more progressive on this than other Immigration Offices.

I can only speak for Jomtien Immigration.  They require a statement - and letter - from the bank, printed on official bank paper, with logo, and signed by the branch manager.

it would be nice if all Immigration offices - and officers - sang from the same hymn sheet.  Not likely to happen, unfortunately.  TiT!

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

only because they haven't bothered to get their system changed yet. Another bank mentioned in another thread said foreigners have to visit branch to make 50k+ transfers

When I called K Bank call centre ysterday I mentioned that I was planning to use the K Biz internet banking (PC/notebook based) facility to do an international funds transfer to the UK in August or September, about 68,000Baht. And I asked if this would need some further security action (further to the online security factors already in place). 

Response from call center lady was 'NO, not for foreigners, just use the online system as it's currently set up. But over 150,000Baht will need some further online questions, triggered by instering 150,000Baht into the online screen'. 

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

I can only speak for Jomtien Immigration.  They require a statement - and letter - from the bank, printed on official bank paper, with logo, and signed by the branch manager.

it would be nice if all Immigration offices - and officers - sang from the same hymn sheet.  Not likely to happen, unfortunately.  TiT!

you do realise that there's no such thing as official bank paper don't you. Banks use the same quality paper for printing as we use, viz 800gsm. There's no bank watermarks on what they use, so as long as you print it in colour there's no way for Immigration to know who actually printed it, and yes it does print with the banks logo etc.. You just get the branch manager to stamp & sign it.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:06 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Stupid question about facescan.

Will it always be an additional authorization or could it be the only authorization and be used for less than 50k replacing SMS OTP?

Would be nice!

Thailand / most countries are experiencing more and more Banking scams and banks admit they are finding it difficult to keep ahead of this wave  of illegal activity and keep savings etc., safe.

It's rampany in Australia (just an example), my OZ bank now had 4 levels of security to be completed by customers at the start of every transaction. At level i it's voice recognition, level 2, pass three security questions, level 3 it's an 8 digit numerical OTP, then at level 4 it's another 8 digit OTP (mixed numbers and letters) must be completed within 10 seconds of completing level 3. Over a certain transaction limit invokes intervention by a live officer. I don't mind if I need to get an OTP for every transaction. 

25 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

you do realise that there's no such thing as official bank paper don't you. Banks use the same quality paper for printing as we use, viz 800gsm. There's no bank watermarks on what they use, so as long as you print it in colour there's no way for Immigration to know who actually printed it, and yes it does print with the banks logo etc.. You just get the branch manager to stamp & sign it.

Irrelevant as you still need the stamp and signature and that requires a visit to the bank.  Just printing off statements from the internet does not work at the Jomtien office.  I am aware that the bank does not use 'special' paper - although they do appear to use paper that is pre-printed with the logo and bank details.  Believe me, I observed the printer tray being loaded with such paper.  As I said before, I can only speak for Jomtien - YMMV, as they say.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, doctormann said:

Since when? 

Anyhow nothing to do with the topic....which is about the banks requiring facial recognition for transfers. 

On 6/24/2023 at 6:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes my Bangkok Bank has blocked my ability to select transfer limits, which include 50,000+, which i presume is linked to this new system. So it does apply to foreigners.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:18 AM, hereforgood said:

I don't disagree I'm only posting what the email said that they sent to him. Later today I'll pop into k bank and ask them to do the photo verification and see what happens

normal lazy staff..... like homepro, do you have this ... screw?  MAI Meeeeee .. but behing her are 1000 screws......  mai mee is the easy answer and back to play facebook....

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

First I heard of this from SCB was over the weekend when I opened the SCB app on my phone and was taken straight to a screen saying that if I wanted to transfer more than 50K Baht or raise my withdrawal limit then I'd have to use the facial recognition feature. I'm not sure it's worth bothering with, as I've never transferred that much online in any case. For buying expensive electrical goods like a TV, or a bike or a car, I've always used cash, and for the house it was a banker's draft. Is it really worth it?

14 minutes ago, Guderian said:

First I heard of this from SCB was over the weekend when I opened the SCB app on my phone and was taken straight to a screen saying that if I wanted to transfer more than 50K Baht or raise my withdrawal limit then I'd have to use the facial recognition feature. I'm not sure it's worth bothering with, as I've never transferred that much online in any case. For buying expensive electrical goods like a TV, or a bike or a car, I've always used cash, and for the house it was a banker's draft. Is it really worth it?

medical emergency? at hospital when they hold a gun to your head to pay or no treatment 

• Sad 1

On 6/14/2023 at 4:01 PM, chilly07 said:

Did mine at Bangkok Bank Theprasit Rd .  ...  Problem is  getting  saved image to line up on their system and on my phone

How did your phone come into it?  The Facial ID is taken by the bank's phone/system, not the customer's phone.  

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Great. So who cares? Use your laptop. Would do that probably anyway for large transactions.

Some banks do not support laptop banking, eg I believe SCB are getting rid of theirs.

A post using a vulgarity has been removed.  Stay civil folks

A posted sad emoticon on a moderators removal post has been removed.

13. You will not publicly comment on moderation in an open forum. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2023 at 7:08 AM, XGM said:

Didn't try it yet, will need to do such a transfer soon enough, will post here.

To follow up on that, Krungsri's App now has an additional stage before approving larger payments. The App directs the user to a screen in which a selfie is taken and only then approves the payment.

• Thanks 1