Job offer in the middle of nowhere - would you take it?

CLW

Got offered a decent paid job but in the middle of nowhere.

The location is Suphanburi province near the border to Chainat province.

Currently I am living with my partner in a house near Lat Krabang and have no intention to leave from there.

The potential workplace is a 2,000 soul village with 7-11 and CJ Mart. Suphanburi city with the next Makro or possibly other food than Thai food or something to entertain is a one hour drive by car. Obviously it is also impossible to commute every day to BKK from there.

The housing might be subsidised by employer or even fully paid.

I am concerned that the first two months there might go well but after that I think I might bore myself to death.

Besides riding motorcycle or fishing I can't see any activities to do there not to mention I'll be alone there as only farang during the week and have no intention to make friendship with other Thais, which mostly included sitting around doing nothing and / or drinking.

There isn't even a gym in a nearby radius, which is another downside.

As much as I'd like to get the job and work there I think it might be better to be honest to the employer from the beginning and decline the offer. Or should I just take the money for whatever two or three months and then just change to a more suitable working location?

• Confused 1

Bit of a moot point until you provide more info on what job,salary,job description etc.

I worked for an American O&G company outside of Udon years ago but knew exactly what I was getting into. 21/21 on off for example and hotel,meals with car and driver all in.

• Like 2

To me, Suphan Buri is hardly the middle of nowhere. There is a Robinson department store and a multiplex cinema with a soundtrack option, although they may have fewer features. What kind of activities are you looking for? Perhaps they can be found there. I can find several gyms with a simple Google search. You might want to try again with the keywords 'fitness' or 'ฟิตเนส' because that's what Thais call a gym.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

To me, Suphan Buri is hardly the middle of nowhere. There is a Robinson department store and a multiplex cinema with a soundtrack option, although they may have fewer features. What kind of activities are you looking for? Perhaps they can be found there. I can find several gyms with a simple Google search. You might want to try again with the keywords 'fitness' or 'ฟิตเนส' because that's what Thais call a gym.

One hour drive to Suphanburi town. Hardly near...

• Confused 1

Don't take it ... but if you do, try to stick out the contract, or you'll be doing a disservice to the students.  Teaching is the job.

Think about what you do now during the work week, would it really be any different there.  If a heavy drinking, and would probably be going to 'town' an hour away, then don't take the job.

1 year or 9 month contract will go by quick, and weekends to explore a new area, and or hit 'town' now & then.  Nice hills & lake to explore on NW & W side of province.

• Like 1

Work scedule? 

Get a dirt bike, lot of thais to ride with, and even falangs in the area

Power bands best homegym ever

A little attetude change if well paid and also decent work scedule. 

4 hours ago, CLW said:

One hour drive to Suphanburi town. Hardly near...

How old are you? If still "young", go for it !!!  See it as a "life adventure" that you can tell your grandchildren about someday. You will find the weekly drive to Suphanbury "exiting". Crucial: Learn some basic Thai fast. This is the ultimate door and (hearth) opener.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:34 PM, CLW said:

Currently I am living with my partner in a house near Lat Krabang and have no intention to leave from there.

Well you've cleared up that you won't move but you ask us if we would take it without saying what it is or the T&C. No one would take a job based on the info provided.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 1:34 PM, CLW said:

Besides riding motorcycle or fishing I can't see any activities to do there not to mention I'll be alone there as only farang during the week and have no intention to make friendship with other Thais, which mostly included sitting around doing nothing and / or drinking.

Read books, mediate. 

Sounds good to me. Bangkok is chaos.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, jaideedave said:

Bit of a moot point until you provide more info on what job,salary,job description etc.

I worked for an American O&G company outside of Udon years ago but knew exactly what I was getting into. 21/21 on off for example and hotel,meals with car and driver all in.

Agree, I also work on rotation on a great salary, my company normally pays a bonus for working in places most people don't want to work. 

If it's a lousy, poor paying job with little time off you'd be a fool to take the job, but these days people are desperate to live in Thailand, desperate enough to do anything to stay. 

I feel sorry to be those desperate people, probably time to go home, get a descent job with descent salary rather than stay in Thailand under sufferance. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 6/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, Lacessit said:

If you are going to think negatively about a job before you have even taken it, the result is predictable.

As long as you have an internet connection, you should not be lacking entertainment. Do something creative, such as writing a book.

Why do you need a gym? Plenty of workout videos on YouTube.

You should regard any job as an opportunity. Who knows, you may even get to enjoy it.

If you take the job say for 2 years (?) will it add something quite valuable to your CV?

E.g. rare operational skills, leadership skills / behaviors, management skills (organizational / planning / performance monitoring skills)? And more... ?

51 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

He said 

"Currently I am living with my partner in a house near Lat Krabang and have no intention to leave from there."

well what's the point in even asking if he's no intention of leaving.   He's answered his own question.

• Like 1