How to get a Yellow House Book ?

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The place to start is your local Ampur office, requirements vary vastly from area to area (are we really surprised about that?).

No surprise. My Amphur told me I must be married to get Yellow Book / Pink Card.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Consider it as an address proof, nothing else

Indeed it says absolutely nothing about what is IMHO the most vital piece of personal information relating to its holder: namely the date when their current permission to stay in Thailand is due to expire.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bondjames007 said:

I have house built in Suphan Buri District,  my wife has the house registered in her name and has the blue book,    so my question is,  can I have the house registered in my name and  

apply for the Yellow House Book ?

I'm expecting the wrath of many about this:
Yes, you can own the property but not the land it's built on. It's a complicated procedure so I'm informed. An acquaintance of mine successfully done this when his wife died who legally owned the house. The land was put in the name of her son and the house in his.

Buying Thai real-estate | legal aspects and ownership (thailandlawonline.com)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bondjames007 said:

so my question is,  can I have the house registered in my name and  

Blue / yellow book has nothing to do with house ownership, it is an address verification.

You can not get an already built house registered in your name, you had to do that before you started building, by getting the building license in your name.

Yes you legally can get a yellow book, since it is only a verification that you reside at that address, but as others already have explained, it all depends on the person behind the desk at the Amphur.

Edit : I see you moved and are renting in BKK, so your landlord will have to agree that you get a yellow book.

You will not get a yellow book for the other house, since you don't live there

Edited by BenStark
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No surprise. My Amphur told me I must be married to get Yellow Book / Pink Card.

Same with me, we enquired at Pak Thong Chai amphur (Korat) a few weeks ago, was abruptly told I must be married. Yet I have unmarried farang friends who have the Yellow House Book and the Pink ID card, so it certainly seems that it depends a lot on a individual at the amphur officer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As usual some posters have had issues getting a yellow book and others like me have not.  A yellow book is useful as well as the pink card.  Some folks have no idea sometimes.  Many other posts regarding the yellow book and Pink ID.

Take a look through these if you want.  Best to take the missus to the local Amphur and ask whats needed.

I did. Wedding ring!

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

I got a yellow housebook in Lopburi, despite never having lived there. Also, I got a book in Bangkok, without ever living there. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Yes you can use it to register a vehicle, renew driving license, You can check in to a hotel with a pink card.

In Thailand never take anything as being country-wide.  What works in some areas does not in others.  Always check first because in some area no one knows what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Blue / yellow book has nothing to do with house ownership, it is an address verification.

You can not get an already built house registered in your name, you had to do that before you started building, by getting the building license in your name.

Yes you legally can get a yellow book, since it is only a verification that you reside at that address, but as others already have explained, it all depends on the person behind the desk at the Amphur.

Edit : I see you moved and are renting in BKK, so your landlord will have to agree that you get a yellow book.

Thank you for this info

You could have had the house registered in your name with a title deed, if you had applied to have the structure registered separately from the land before the house number was issued but it is too late now. Foreigners can own houses but not land. You would have needed a 30 year lease or usufruct for from the missus to be allowed to own the structure. There is some cost in this and many land offices, particularly upcountry, will simply refuse to do it anyway as they don’t like to see the Thai spouse giving up rights to their property to a rapacious foreign devil. There is some cost involved and the protection provided is questionable anyway.

Re tabien baan. You can’t become the householder because your missus is already the douse holder in the blue book and the house can only have one householder. Otherwise there is no restriction on foreigners being householders. I was the householder for my house as a foreigner with written permission from the owner (my company), although I had a blue book as a PR. I am not sure, if you can be a householder with a yellow book, as you would not be able to add Thais or PRs to your book but perhaps this is possible. Anyway there is no significance to being a householder. It just means you are responsible for reporting additions and subtractions to and from the household. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 6:37 AM, bondjames007 said:

my question is,  can I have the house registered in my name and  

No, you cannot have the house registered in your name as owner. To do that, you need the house to be separated from the land, which is a process that begins before a new house is built. You need a permission from the land owner – which preferable should be a superficies servitude – and building permission issued to your name, architect drawings containing your name, and all building contracts and payments with your name on.

However, you can apply for being resident in the house and be registered in a yellow house book for aliens. You need permission from the house owner and register at the local tessa ban-district office. Check with the office first, what they need of documents and eventual witnesses; there can be huge difference in that. You will always need a certified Thai-translation of your name and passport's name page.

I own my house and used the above process. As house owner I'm the only one that can approve names in the house books, both blue for Thais and yellow for aliens.

In my case, being registered in the yellow house book was quite a complicated process, which besides the little costly certified translation of my name – several pages, mainly with the translators certificates and official rubber stamps – needed two Thai witnesses that know me to be present at the tessa ban-office – one neighbour and one government employee – to justify that I was me; a quite long interview about why I wished to stay in the house, where a translator was permitted. It was almost like applying for permanent citizenship, apart from I didn't need to speak the Thai language, and I didn't need to sing the national hymn acapella (the office staff shall be happy for that)...:whistling:

Others have however, in other provinces, more or like just walked in at their tessa ban-office and got a yellow house book registration...:thumbsup:

On 6/18/2023 at 6:54 AM, Crossy said:

The place to start is your local Ampur office, requirements vary vastly from area to area (are we really surprised about that?).

To my knowledge, it is always the local tessa ban-office that issues house books, whilst the amphor-office issues ID-cards, including the pink one for aliens...????

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge, it is always the local tessa ban-office that issues house books, whilst the amphor-office issues ID-cards, including the pink one for aliens...????

Possibly a confusion of terms, the signage says "District Office".

We got both the yellow-book and my Pink ID in the same building, same office. 

image.png.e11841649b778e5dc55ade0c7a6121c1.png

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

You could have had the house registered in your name with a title deed, if you had applied to have the structure registered separately from the land before the house number was issued but it is too late now.

For a new built house you don't get a title deed – you need permission from owner and building permission as proof of ownership – but when a house with separate owner is re-sold, such a deed can be issued.

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

You would have needed a 30 year lease or usufruct for from the missus to be allowed to own the structure.

No, no need for that, just a permission from the owner is needed; preferably a superficies servitude. However, it's wise to a have a long lease or other fairly safe document, when "investing" in building a house in Thailand...????

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Possibly a confusion of terms, the signage says "District Office".

We got both the yellow-book and my Pink ID in the same building, same office. 

image.png.e11841649b778e5dc55ade0c7a6121c1.png

Might be placed together some places, but it's still two different government functions. Tessa ban is for example where building permissions and house books are issued, whilst Amphor is ID-registration and income tax (not property tax). I mention it, so OP can be guided to the correct place – where I live the two offices are quite far from each other...????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bondjames007 said:

Thanks for the replies,

Are there any advantageous for having the Yellow Book and Pink ID card for living in Thailand ?

The house is built in Suphan Buri but I have moved and renting in Bangkok.

If you are owner of a condo the yellow book will help you to save land tax because for the property you use as your residence you don't have to pay it. And you can use it as proof of address at other occasions. 

23 minutes ago, khunPer said:

no, the tessabaan are responsible for the maintenance of roads, land etc. Also to provide services like water, power, drainage, garbage, etc. 

The Amphur issue housebooks. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, khunPer said:

For a new built house you don't get a title deed – you need permission from owner and building permission as proof of ownership – but when a house with separate owner is re-sold, such a deed can be issued.

No, no need for that, just a permission from the owner is needed; preferably a superficies servitude. However, it's wise to a have a long lease or other fairly safe document, when "investing" in building a house in Thailand...????

You are talking about different things.