what is the best way to get good money every month from 10 rai of land in country side.

AppuVinoth

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 8:06 PM, Denim said:

Rent out 9 rai and let someone else take the risk since this year is predicted to be very dry with insufficient rainfall.

The remaining 1 rai you can experiment with. Don't assume that just because you are growing something you will easily harvest and sell your crop. It is a risky business .

This is the best answer on this thread...

On 6/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, AppuVinoth said:

any advise on it? how to make a profitable way with the 10 rai farming land?

Not easy to make it profitable. First of all you shall check what can be resold in the area, without reselling possibilities it's more difficult. 10 rai will most likely be hard work with (very) little profit.

You won't get a regular monthly income. The best regular income is rubber trees – takes about 7 years before you can cut in them for rubber (latex) – but it's only income during the season where you can cut for latex.

Renting out the land pays around 1,000 baht per rai per year – plus/minus – price range might be up to 2,000 baht per rai in some areas if the soil is good.

Rent out 9 rai and let someone else take the risk since this year is predicted to be very dry with insufficient rainfall.

The remaining 1 rai you can experiment with. Don't assume that just because you are growing something you will easily harvest and sell your crop. It is a risky business .

We have sugar cane.  Usually we sell in the ground well before harvest.  This year no-one wants to even look at it as worried about drought.

Start a Crawfish farm. There are people here in Thailand doing well with them and they offer to help newbies get started. I will be going to visit them myself when I get back. It's one of the most popular dishes in China. The largest exporter and consumer of them. 90 percent. I think they would do well here.

It depends. If you plant something valuable you need to make sure it is secured or they’ll steal it. If locals know a farang is running the show they’ll look at ways to sabotage it. My father in law is a rice farmer in issan and I’ve spoken to him about doing something different. Although he visits the farm regularly he’s conscious of possible theft. If you live on the farm it may be ok otherwise maybe risky. 

Backbreaking work with little or no return. 

How NOT to do it.

Plant lumyai (longanberry) trees when the fruit sells for 60 baht a kilo. Wait five years for the first crop then realize everybody else has done the same and the price has crashed to 5 baht a kilo (if you're lucky).

So a friend told me.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nglodnig said:

How NOT to do it.

Plant lumyai (longanberry) trees when the fruit sells for 60 baht a kilo. Wait five years for the first crop then realize everybody else has done the same and the price has crashed to 5 baht a kilo (if you're lucky).

So a friend told me.

This happened with limes a few years ago. Prices were high and countless  YouTube videos  and television  programs on how to grow them appeared. Everybody gave it a go.

Such a bumper crop people were literally  giving them away for free,us included.

It depends on where your land is located. If it is in the south or central part of Thailand, I would plant durian trees. However, they are not easy to manage.

I have spent 9 years and approximately 30,000 baht per rai annually on maintenance. Each tree can produce up to 80-110 durian fruits per year. The market rate for each fruit is 100 baht per kilogram, meaning that each tree can generate up to 36,000 baht. Under Thai law, you can plant up to 25 trees per rai, so each tree should earn you 6,000 baht per year.

If you have 10 rai of land, you could earn (25 trees x 10 rai) * 6,000 baht = 1,500,000 baht annually.

However, durian trees are very difficult to maintain. There is a chance that they will die. It takes 7-10 years for them to produce fruit.

*My wife owns 20 rai of farmland in the south. The durian trees are already planted there, so I did not have to wait for them to produce fruit. However, it may take some time for your investment to pay off. In my opinion, the price of durians will only go up. It is very unlikely that they will go down.

Teak trees would not be profitable because you can buy teak wood at a much cheaper rate like 1/10 cost in Myanmar & Laos.

Edited by damen
  • Like 1

Sounds like me 12 years ago.....  I wanted a small hobby style farm income and had some good ideas - all came to nothing.

1. Bell peppers. when i first arrived, they could cost as much as 100 baht each. Surely it would be a winner? Soon found out Isaan climate too hot, lucky if they grew bigger than fingernail size. And died off in hot season.

2. Duck eggs. F-in-L did this and seemed to make a small profit. I did it for one year, and money from eggs just about paid for the food the ducks ate. 

3. Fish farming. I had training in this, so knew what i should be doing. stocked a pond with 2 fingerlings per sq. metre, and started feeding. But wife, because she is Thai, knows best and put 3,000 more fish in. Pond now overstocked and fish stunted. spent 8,000 baht on food, a year later got 1500 baht back for fish..... some were probably stolen, but fish were far too small. Also water was poor quality, growth was always slow in all ponds we had bar one. Tilapia fingerlings should grow to over 500 grams in less than a year, but ours would take 3 years! (and sometimes survival rate very low). We get a modest income from running fishing lakes.

Tried many vegetables. Soil was mainly clay. about 50% of vegetables tried either failed to grow, suffered disease  and pest problems or cropped poorly. Some vegetables would do much better in cool years, but would do well once in about 4 years. Only vegetable i tried that worked most years was Okra - but couldn't find a market, Thais not keen on it. After a slow start, have had limited success growing limes, now harvest enough to feed extended family - my lime trees grow extremely well, look much healthier than those grown the 'Thai way'. Mine organic.

Eucalyptus usually quite successful, but not a monthly crop. And bare in mind that if you want to change to anything else afterwards, restoring the land is a major exercise. And not a big earner.

As to what will work, depends on your local climate, soil, water, drainage and security. Can only experiment small scale and see if anything works. There is no magic answer, if there was, all the Thais would be rich!

• Like 2