Would you try Lab grown meat ?

I'd give it a go.

Over the years I've had loads of vegetarian and even vegan fare, it was universally pretty good, so long as it didn't pretend to be what it wasn't!

The "plant-based meat substitutes" are not universally bad (although some were diabolical) so long as you don't expect them to feel and taste like actual meat. To (nearly) quote Douglas Adams they are "something almost, but not quite entirely unlike tea meat".

Lab grown meat is actually meat (or at least animal protein), it "should" be pretty realistic.

But, if it's twice the price of animal grown meat ...

• Like 1

The concept has been around for decades.. apparently

British statesman Winston Churchill wrote: "We shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium."

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

why eat dead animals when you don't have to? just because 'it tastes nice' The suffering, pollution and environmental damage raising millions of animals for people to stuff down their throats is unsustainable

Well, better than trying not eat live animals.

Why? Because vegetarians are the most unhealthy people I know.

Not a virtue signaler.

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Protein is protein. The two consumer attributes lab protein would have to satisfy are taste, and competitiveness on price.

no it is not....protein alone is complex but meat is not only protein, it is far more.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Plern said:

Well, better than trying not eat live animals.

Why? Because vegetarians are the most unhealthy people I know.

Not a virtue signaler.

I don't eat live animals...because they run away and are faster than me

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, proton said:

why eat dead animals when you don't have to? just because 'it tastes nice' The suffering, pollution and environmental damage raising millions of animals for people to stuff down their throats is unsustainable

because it is the natural thing to do...we are optimized to do exactly that.

The industrial meat production is a other topic...that is wrong, unhealthy, cruel, environmental damaging. We should ban that as good as possible, but we can have everything full with goats, cows, pigs.

When I see what many people (not even thinking for restaurants) throw away on eatable food, a few houses together could easily have 1 pig and some chicken.

Maybe not having every meal some meat, but when having it having something in good quality.

26 minutes ago, Plern said:

This product is an absolute fail. Recent articles show no one wants the sh it and no one trusts the sh it.

962rrrr3MEME290523.jpg.jpeg

I'll never understand: closing good land with solar panels. Against global warming but make a huge area black.....if afraid of global warming you would paint everything white.
But on the same time have all the roofs without solar panels.

It would make sense to put solar panels on buildings first and than over already wasted land like parking lots....not on farmland.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, h90 said:

no it is not....protein alone is complex but meat is not only protein, it is far more.

And even if it were the same - why do you eat at all ? 1. To survive, your body need carbs, minerals etc. etc. etc. But then you would like to enjoy what you eat as well - or not ? Otherwise food from a tube like they eat it in space would suffice. And insects are as well a huge question of individual taste.

8 minutes ago, h90 said:

I'll never understand: closing good land with solar panels. Against global warming but make a huge area black.....if afraid of global warming you would paint everything white.
But on the same time have all the roofs without solar panels.

It would make sense to put solar panels on buildings first and than over already wasted land like parking lots....not on farmland.

It makes sense to put solar panels on farmland that requires 25 acres to support one sheep, or 100 acres to support a single cow. There's plenty of that land and worse in Australia.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back in the states, jackfruit as a burger substitute was a thing in nouvelle hippie places. With enough sauce and lettuce on it, its close.

Free Bird Vegan Cafe in Chiang Mai does a good one -but it only costs a bit less than #1 rated Beastburgers real burgers around the corner.

• Thumbs Up 1