Not working, just helping the wife

It's a easy answer for your question. It's a BIG NO. You can not help out or do anything unless you have a Work Permit. It has nothing to do if you get paid or not. I don't know why so many people try to get around this subject or try to find a gray area. It's very simple, you need to have a Work Permit. Therefore, if you want to "help out", change your VISA so you can obtain a Work Permit. If not, kick back at home and enjoy life...

• Like 1

It's a question of degree. For example, if your wife runs a shop, she needs to go to the wholesalers, take meal and toilet breaks. It is not unreasonable for her husband to assist her in her business on such occasions. If wife opens a second shop and her husband runs it then that is 'crossing the line' IMHO.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

You are allowed to give all the money to start the business. Then if successful you are allowed to leave.

It is like the old saying; 

Q. "How do you start a business in Thailand and leave with 1,000,000"

A "Start it by Investing 150,000,000"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

It's a easy answer for your question. It's a BIG NO. You can not help out or do anything unless you have a Work Permit. It has nothing to do if you get paid or not. I don't know why so many people try to get around this subject or try to find a gray area. It's very simple, you need to have a Work Permit. Therefore, if you want to "help out", change your VISA so you can obtain a Work Permit. If not, kick back at home and enjoy life...

It is all depending on the business and where it is located and what you do. If a farm, no problem to do farm work! Driving car to marked, fine, selling at marked, no

But everything is about location, and as an example, phuket do had several raids, but mostly against tourist related businesses for years, like diving, bars etc, 

Can someone come with examples of those who they know got caught? For years we hear stories, but no valid proven examples, except those obvious beer bars, diving and other tourist related businesses. 

• Confused 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:11 AM, lordmullin said:

If my wife buys a small resort (a few bungalows around a pool) where would I stand, legally, regarding 'helping out around the place'?

It's work and it's illegal.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:25 AM, jak2002003 said:

Why is it so hard for people to understand this? 

OP. You cannot do work at your wife's business. 

You must have a work permit. 

You not 'just help out' nor can you do voluntary work, even for a good cause of some kind.....without proper documentation. 

Ahhh, however, foreign visiting military "tecnically" have no work permit but they are welcome to work and give things out....  and what about all the help during the tsunami and the cave deaths?  they have no work permits, arrest them all before they do and work (save lives)  its another circus is what it is...

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Just now, Seeall said:

Ahhh, however, foreign visiting military "tecnically" have no work permit but they are welcome to work and give things out....  and what about all the help during the tsunami and the cave deaths?  they have no work permits, arrest them all before they do and work (save lives)  its another circus is what it is...

Just now, Seeall said:
Just now, Seeall said:

and many others... picking up trash on the beach....   needs work permits... arrest them quickly.. can park the smart bmw at the beach and really nab them...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Can someone come with examples of those who they know got caught? For years we hear stories, but no valid proven examples, except those obvious beer bars, diving and other tourist related businesses. 

I am aware of office raids that caught out Westerners many years ago but, in recent years, the Labour Department has focussed mainly on migrant workers on low salaries. This article summarises the enforcement efforts of the Department of Labour in the six months ending 31st March this year: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2537129/ministry-of-labour-announces-results-of-purge-of-migrant-workers-snatching-thai-jobs-in-fiscal-year-2023

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is all depending on the business and where it is located and what you do. If a farm, no problem to do farm work! Driving car to marked, fine, selling at marked, no

But everything is about location, and as an example, phuket do had several raids, but mostly against tourist related businesses for years, like diving, bars etc, 

No comment

Edited by Crazy Noobie
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I understand what you are saying. To me, it has nothing to do if you can break the law and get away with it. I know hundreds of people that broke the law and never got caught. So does that make it ok to break the law? I teach my kids that there is no gray area, that the law is the law and it must be followed. It's that simple. The choice is yours...

F sake man, your home, your farm (legally wife on paper) there is no lawbraking, same if you run a small home atay or resort, you go with your wife shopping what you need for the business, you cut trees, paint, do small things to help out, but there is a fine line what you should not do. 

Get real, not come here with bull pie about braking the law. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Know a guy who's wife has a bar. He is drinking beer with his friends and playing pool. He takes the brush used to clean off the pool table cloth for the next game. A thai sees him cleaning the cloth. They have bad blood between them so the thai videos him cleaning  the cloth for his next game. Goes to imagination with the video and imagination relieves him of 100 thousand baht. And a warning  next time your visa is canceled and you are kicked out of Thailand. So go ahead and push the thai laws. What could possibly go wrong?...

Seriously?

Hard to reply to stories without credible source is hard to reply to.

Location? Did the emigration already had an eye to him for working there? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

been running severall guesthouses for the wife never had 1 problem ever

just do it who cares

and iff they come just let the wife take care off them a nice meal a few beers does wonders

never paid any shake downs too

i am talking about the last 10 years now and in the heart off CM city

i know its great to say for the vinager pissers you need workpermit bla blah blah for those guys i say PLEASE get a life

not a problem....until it's a problem 

you might never get caught, but you never know. if you run into an officer in a bad mood??.. things could change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Know a guy who's wife has a bar. He is drinking beer with his friends and playing pool. He takes the brush used to clean off the pool table cloth for the next game. A thai sees him cleaning the cloth. They have bad blood between them so the thai videos him cleaning  the cloth for his next game. Goes to imagination with the video and imagination relieves him of 100 thousand baht. And a warning  next time your visa is canceled and you are kicked out of Thailand. So go ahead and push the thai laws. What could possibly go wrong?...

Was it the same guy who mowed his own lawn and got deported/imprisoned/extorted? Stop spreading this nonsense. It never happened.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

It really is in your imagination!!

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 12:53 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Who says that mowing your own lawn, painting your own wall, cutting down your own tree or cleaning your own pool is not permitted?

Actuall it is NOT permitted, believe me.

The property is (in most cases) your wife's hence you are not permitted to work there.

There is also by the Labor Department some regulations that will close an eye when you work as husband, but by law is clearly stated with or without payment, any works.. 

This makes it a case by case decision when the Immigration Car stops at your house see you clipping your hedge... 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I do not believe you. 

I said case by case.

If the police car stops at a Friday afternoon and tells you to pay 20k, you might consider to go in special "accomodation" and wait for the court opens on Monday. 

I was seeding about 50 trees in mini greenhouses and as they stopped I mixed the soil for the seeds..

This was my case which I am placing here...

Just do what you want, I learned my lesson what is allowed and where they can get you paying a fine..  

Never forget who has the power... 

Sure you can go to court and tell the cops were wrong..

Beside the outcome at the court is unknown, you might be as popular as free food in a 5 star restaurant after you took action..

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

Actuall it is NOT permitted, believe me.

The property is (in most cases) your wife's hence you are not permitted to work there.

There is also by the Labor Department some regulations that will close an eye when you work as husband, but by law is clearly stated with or without payment, any works.. 

This makes it a case by case decision when the Immigration Car stops at your house see you clipping your hedge... 

Thats what some like tell their wifes, but seriously? 

Edited by Hummin

Friend in Phuket thought he would hang some curtains for his wife in her Massage Shop. Unbeknownst to him Immigration was next door, and so they swooped in on him and took him for some money. Be careful all the time.

Dropping wife’s uncle off at bus station in Korat in the evening. Suddenly two Immigration guys stopped me and wanted my passport, which of course I didn’t have….fortunately my wife called in that moment and talked to them.

Crazy thing was the immigration office was 25 kilo out of town.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and if have built a sizable villa in her village several kilometers outside Chiang Rai town and on a half rai of land she owned before we met.  Obviously, I paid for all build costs and clearly understand about matrimonial assets the villa legal ownership etc. and that's not a problem for me.  Although the main accomodation is fully furnished and livable, there is a large half basement previously unused,  but now under construction for conversion for self contained living.  

My wife and I are considering moving into the basement and renting out the main accomodation for Airbnb self contained, all found, family homestay with accompanied sight seeing trips.  My question here is: As the entire villa is our normal residence, would it be legal for me to continue to work in completing the basement conversation, do gardening and house maintenance and to assist my wife in servicing the guests with cooking, didying, cleaning etc. and accompanying  guests on guided sight seeing tours etc.

Sensible answers and suggestions would be appreciated as I don't really want to enquire at immigration with the risk of stiring up a hornet's nest.

2 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

My wife and if have built a sizable villa in her village several kilometers outside Chiang Rai town and on a half rai of land she owned before we met.  Obviously, I paid for all build costs and clearly understand about matrimonial assets the villa legal ownership etc. and that's not a problem for me.  Although the main accomodation is fully furnished and livable, there is a large half basement previously unused,  but now under construction for conversion for self contained living.  

My wife and I are considering moving into the basement and renting out the main accomodation for Airbnb self contained, all found, family homestay with accompanied sight seeing trips.  My question here is: As the entire villa is our normal residence, would it be legal for me to continue to work in completing the basement conversation, do gardening and house maintenance and to assist my wife in servicing the guests with cooking, didying, cleaning etc. and accompanying  guests on guided sight seeing tours etc.

Sensible answers and suggestions would be appreciated as I don't really want to enquire at immigration with the risk of stiring up a hornet's nest.

Simple answer, you will need an work permit for officially cooking, the rest you can not do! 

Your wife also would need a license for her business!  

7 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

Before she starts the business you can do gardening and basement conversion.

After she starts the business, you can't do anything you've mentioned.