"Forgotten Landmark" - "Dancing Fountain" Project Collapses in Pattaya

webfact

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Wasting money on hare-brained projects..... and  no doubt some pockets get well lined in the process. 

Who would have thought a led-water fountain required the services of a plumber and electrician!

I wonder if they would hire me to build a submarine

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The one that was in The Royal Garden was there for some time and kept working.... much enjoyed by many kids. 

Run by Minor Group, a proper company, not City Hall.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

However, soon after its construction, continuous deterioration occurred due to a lack of knowledgeable and skilled personnel to maintain and repair the complex system.

This project became another example of short-term utilization without proper maintenance. Eventually, it was left abandoned and deteriorated over time,

It seems like the same could be said for all kinds of construction / mechanical / infrastructure things here in Thailand. (Lucky the project here didn't involve any "travelators" or escalators!)

Not to mention, it's entirely possible that the initial construction was substandard from the get-go because various parties needed to take their personal cuts of the construction budget.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

It's been my experience that it's a rare project, indeed, that can keep a water feature of any kind working for a continuing period in Thailand.  I've lost count of the number of projects I've encountered where there was a water feature at some point but it is no longer working.  Or, part of it is working and part isn't.  Or, the water is still there, usually dirty, but the fountain part isn't working.  Sometimes they've wisely given up the ghost and turned into something else.   

My Bangkok condo, fairly high-end, had a water fountain set into the pavement, somewhat like Bali Hai, at the center of a circular driveway entrance, to guide traffic around the circle.  I never actually saw it working--before my time.  Unfortunately, at some point years ago someone drove over the fountain and that was that.  For at least 3 years the fountain space has been blocked off with ugly orange traffic cones while the condo committee dithers and dithers and dithers about what to put there.  So far, it seems they have only managed to decide, not another water feature.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

However, soon after its construction, continuous deterioration occurred due to a lack of knowledgeable and skilled personnel to maintain and repair the complex system. Thus, it became necessary to coordinate with professional contractors for repairs.

Applies to so many things in Thailand. Except the part about actually using professionals, people who (might) know what they are doing. Thai no need, mista. I have nephew who know everyting.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It seems like the same could be said for all kinds of construction / mechanical / infrastructure things here in Thailand. (Lucky the project here didn't involve any "travelators" or escalators!)

Not to mention, it's entirely possible that the initial construction was substandard from the get-go because various parties needed to take their personal cuts of the construction budget.

Ah, but the construction was not sub-standard because of lack of money spent.

It was sub-standard because......

well, nevermind. We all know why.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 7:58 AM, mikebell said:

It was, by those who commissioned the project in the 1st place!

Send the entire bill to the persons who signed it off with 1 month to pay it in.

Block ALL their bank accounts and passports (if any).

If they have not paid it within 1 month, arrest them (no bail) and charge them with theft of public funds.

10 years in jail minimum.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:55 PM, Srikcir said:

The junta NCPO government led by Prayut used its absolute power to undertake projects that it thought would gain it political support without regard to cost or efficiency. Hopefully under the Pita democratic regime that will change. 

Unlike, say, the UK (to use one example of where many on this forum come from)...

No graft there at all.  Move along, nothing to see here...

PPP contracts for £££ given to "friendly" companies - most with absolutely no knowledge or experience of producing any such.

HS2 now due to arrive in Euston in 2040 apparently.....well evaluated?  Well funded?  Good idea? 

Maybe if the UK was run by a junta they wouldn 't have such.

PH 

That this fountain was a failer is no surprise....

The pressing question is what in the heck is the new paint job all about? Very strange design....With some sort of  monolith in the center.....Similar to 2001 Space Odyssey...

image.jpeg

Edited by redwood1