Thai Airways lags as Centara Grand emerges Thailand’s strongest brand

webfact

image.jpeg

The sluggish revival of business tourism, coupled with Thailand’s failure to establish itself as a global connection hub, has resulted in Thai Airways’ brand value lagging behind its rivals. Conversely, Centara Grand Hotels & Resorts has emerged as the strongest brand in the nation this year.

According to Alex Haigh, who serves as the Asia-Pacific Managing Director at Brand Finance, the Thai Government should place an additional emphasis on enticing immigrants who wish to work and retire in the country. Haigh suggested that Thailand should go beyond projecting itself as a leisure-oriented destination, an image it has successfully cultivated among travellers worldwide.

Recent studies conducted by Brand Finance revealed a somewhat tepid growth in the brand value of Thai Airways. Currently standing at US$990 million, Thai Airways’ value has certainly increased, but it has failed to keep pace with rivals such as Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines, whose corresponding growth rates of 8% and 5% respectively outperformed Thai Airways’ 3% year on year increase.

by Alex Morgan

Photo courtesy of Craig Stevens, Flickr

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-airways-lags-as-centara-grand-emerges-thailands-strongest-brand

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

'The tepid resumption of business travel and inability of Thailand to become a connectivity hub has led Thai Airways' brand value to grow slower than its competitors, while Centara Grand secured the strongest...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2607156/brand-value-of-thai-airways-sags. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

'The sluggish revival of business tourism, coupled with Thailand’s failure to establish itself as a global connection hub, has resulted in Thai Airways’ brand value lagging behind its rivals. Conversely, Centara Grand Hotels & Resorts has emerged as the strongest brand in the nation this year.'

Spot the difference in the BP's opening para & this.

• Confused 1

quote from the OP

"Recent studies conducted by Brand Finance revealed a somewhat tepid growth in the brand value of Thai Airways. Currently standing at US$990 million, Thai Airways’ value has certainly increased, but it has failed to keep pace with rivals such as Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines, whose corresponding growth rates of 8% and 5% respectively outperformed Thai Airways’ 3% year on year increase."

Is that a net value, ignoring the debt, or does the yearly debt repayment have to be subtracted from that figure?

• Thumbs Up 1

Flew Thai earlier this year. We were very disappointed. Went to use the toilet and it was clear somebody had been sick. I went to tell a member of cabin crew only to be told that they had cleaned it already. Vomit still on the seat and the floor.  

Edited by simola
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

The sluggish revival of business tourism, coupled with Thailand’s failure to establish itself as a global connection hub, has resulted in Thai Airways’ brand value lagging behind its rivals. 

Not quite so, Thai Airways (TG) dropped from a top star airline in the 80s to a flying play- and fun ground to the pleasure of staff, friends of staff, assorted crooks (like suppliers) and politicians.

The difference a 7/11 down the street is, that TG is a 7/11 without a cashier desk, staff or till on the way out. So everybody helped themselves while there was anything available. 

Corruption marred with incompetent arrogance - the results are here. Sadly, this pristine piece of aviation under the baton of aviation experts like Capt. Yothin, Chatichai Bunya-ananta etc. took a turn after the forced retirement of the latter in 1992, when the air force boys not having the slightest clue moved in while the goons at the Ministry of Finance started breathing down TG's neck. 

How sad, from riches to rags ....... welcome aboard ???? 

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thai airways can never compete with Singapore airways, they are one of the best. Besides Thai Airways is overpriced and the country itself is in need... Surely now it is ncertain what will happen if MFP is not accepted by the bunch of senators, that probably will block the whole nation  

I've purchased 1 LHR-BKK return and 1 BKK-LHR return tickets in the last 2 months and whilst not as cheap as EVA, a direct flight with Thai is actually decent value compared to what the other operators are offering for 1 stop tickets.  In fact they've been cheaper than quite a few of these 1 stops with decent transit times.  I flew Singapore Airlines 15 months ago and whilst they were reasonably priced, I didn't find the service anything to write home about and they didn't even come up near the top of the list in the searches for the last 2 tickets?  

Edited by Trip Hop
grammar
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Recent studies conducted by Brand Finance revealed a somewhat tepid growth in the brand value of Thai Airways

Considering it's checkered past is that really surprising?

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Are SQ not also a bit overpriced... I always thought so. 

A bit more expensive but the comfort , quality and meals beat Thai airways easily. Look at the prices in high season, all flights are. more expensive depending your dates, time of departure and date of booking. I came on the 2 March this year and the price was good. Last time I took a Phuket Bangkok flight I was surprised, plane obviously old and worn. Also, these days , so much good competition to keep up with, Emirates daily flight from loads of countries at good times , not middle of the night only. 

Bangkok to Europe has a load of flights on offer. One of the best I had lately was Swiss Air. Excellent.

13 minutes ago, geisha said:

A bit more expensive but the comfort , quality and meals beat Thai airways easily. Look at the prices in high season, all flights are. more expensive depending your dates, time of departure and date of booking. I came on the 2 March this year and the price was good. Last time I took a Phuket Bangkok flight I was surprised, plane obviously old and worn. Also, these days , so much good competition to keep up with, Emirates daily flight from loads of countries at good times , not middle of the night only. 

Bangkok to Europe has a load of flights on offer. One of the best I had lately was Swiss Air. Excellent.

I don't know if that is still the case, but you could book Thai Airways to Austria....and than you sit in an Austrian Airlines airplane. If you would have booked the same as Austrian Airlines flight it would have cost half.

If I am a Thai person...maybe not good in English and think...better Thai Airways....I get the food I know, I can speak my language and than you sit in an AUA airplane.

Maybe they mention it now, but a few years ago it was not mentioned.

I think overpriced, expensive and cheap are perhaps not the best words here.

To me, and this is a purely personal assessment, I’d say for Y and even C/J cabins, I’d call SQ a very good “value” defined by me as a comparison of what you get in those cabins, compared to the fare paid…

as for TG, I’d call them a poor value — again as a personal comparison of what I get (in Y or worse, C/J) to the respective fare paid.

However, to be fair, I think it’s not the best comparison of TG to SQ either as their market, pax demographic, governance and general operating structure are wildly different - all of which has some role on determining what you as the passenger experience.  

4 hours ago, h90 said:

I don't know if that is still the case, but you could book Thai Airways to Austria....and than you sit in an Austrian Airlines airplane. If you would have booked the same as Austrian Airlines flight it would have cost half.

If I am a Thai person...maybe not good in English and think...better Thai Airways....I get the food I know, I can speak my language and than you sit in an AUA airplane.

Maybe they mention it now, but a few years ago it was not mentioned.

Before booking you usually search flights. Price , times, duration/ stopovers , routes,  easy to do.  With a connecting flight very important, some have a stopover of many hours . Just looked at London to Bangkok prices with Thai, they range from 1370£ to 1500£ return. Wow. You can get much cheaper on other reputable flights. You say more comfortable for Thais to take their National company, maybe, but the larger amount of travelers are foreigners. 

TG is a joke. Comparing the airline to SQ is also comical, just look at the size of each country in comparison to their fleet size and reputation. SQ or CX are my first choices. Last resorts are TG and BA.

Centara hotels are run down and mismanaged (well, family business don't you know, send the useless brother/cousin/moron to a hotel management post where he won't be any trouble). I'll only use Centaras if there are no Marriots (or any western brand) available.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, geisha said:

Also, if potential passenger / ticket hold needs to call SQ you will receive a polite focused discussion and a clear answer.

I was due to return to LOS from Australia after 2 years in the height of Covid- 19 when there were very few flights. SQ had a daily flight Sydney to Changi to Bkk at a good price full service but the on screen fare was changing asmost daily.

I called SQ in Sydney got transferred to SQ HO in Spore at local call rate. Had a very worthwhile discussion, ticket agent said the fare will continue to change daily but if you can make a booking, by phone (S$645 full service) now I can lock you into the low fare today. She also mentioned if you need to change the date you will need to accept the fare for the changed date plus S$20. 

I booked my date there and then, didn't need to change the date, didn't pay until 10 days before the flight date. 

I use a wheelchair, SQ check-in in Sydney, tfr at Changi, w/chair service at Swampy all well organized, so good, friendly, sincere, focused. Meals, snacks, coffee etc., all 5 star and flexible. Very satisfied.

Edited by scorecard
  • Love It 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Centara Grand Hotels & Resorts

In my opinion many of there resorts and hotels are in dire need of refurbishment and upkeep.

I did enjoy the Centara that opened in Korat.

Nothing like a Marriott, Hyatt, or Hilton.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Emdog said:

Never heard of "Centara Grand". Resorts and such: that explains it. Avoid them like dengue fever

Maybe you haven't been to Asia.  It's the equivilent of Hilton etc.  I presume you've heard of Hilton....?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sharksy said:

Maybe you haven't been to Asia.  It's the equivilent of Hilton etc.  I presume you've heard of Hilton....?

Lived in Thailand since 2001, started coming to SE Asia in 1982. So, yes I have been to Asia. How about you?

I avoid resorts, "starred" hotels: might as well be in Salt Lake City.... maybe decor a bit different. Spend the big bucks, get maximum insulation from the people.

I prefer homestays, small family owned guest houses. Get to meet the average person, closer experience to the real culture.

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2023 at 1:21 PM, jacko45k said:

Are SQ not also a bit overpriced... I always thought so. 

Depends, I've flown with them and other carriers and have found SQ to be pretty reasonable. Some compare them to Qatar. Qatar has a reputation for changing aircraft and some class passengers getting a lower level of hard product that they paid for.

SQ is consistent with their levels of service which puts them ahead of some other carriers IMHO.

I've flown on China Air and found it to be very good. Emirates, well take your chances and if there is an issue try getting a positive result from them.

Thai used to be good but we all know what's happened with them unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meaningless Article!

What is the point of comparing Airlines to Hotels or any other "Brands"?

They are totally different commodities!

It's like comparing a Hippo to a Cigarette lighter!

e.g.  Q: What's the difference between a Hippo and a Zippo?

A:  A Hippo is a large Ferociuos Mammal that can weigh over a Ton...A Zippo is a little lighter!

BTW do you like my new car?......All electric! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg.45f3b0b201215d6e41edd83111d6ceb5.jpeg

Edited by Troy Tempest

On 7/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, scorecard said:

Also, if potential passenger / ticket hold needs to call SQ you will receive a polite focused discussion and a clear answer.

I was due to return to LOS from Australia after 2 years in the height of Covid- 19 when there were very few flights. SQ had a daily flight Sydney to Changi to Bkk at a good price full service but the on screen fare was changing asmost daily.

I called SQ in Sydney got transferred to SQ HO in Spore at local call rate. Had a very worthwhile discussion, ticket agent said the fare will continue to change daily but if you can make a booking, by phone (S$645 full service) now I can lock you into the low fare today. She also mentioned if you need to change the date you will need to accept the fare for the changed date plus S$20. 

I booked my date there and then, didn't need to change the date, didn't pay until 10 days before the flight date. 

I use a wheelchair, SQ check-in in Sydney, tfr at Changi, w/chair service at Swampy all well organized, so good, friendly, sincere, focused. Meals, snacks, coffee etc., all 5 star and flexible. Very satisfied.

And carriage of my wheelchair free.

17 hours ago, drgoon said:

Depends, I've flown with them and other carriers and have found SQ to be pretty reasonable. Some compare them to Qatar. Qatar has a reputation for changing aircraft and some class passengers getting a lower level of hard product that they paid for.

SQ is consistent with their levels of service which puts them ahead of some other carriers IMHO.

I've flown on China Air and found it to be very good. Emirates, well take your chances and if there is an issue try getting a positive result from them.

Thai used to be good but we all know what's happened with them unfortunately.

Emirates was once very good, used them for years,  I changed in the last two years as once I had an older plane, and the next time the food was inedible. No idea what happened, but I put it down to too much  success .

• Like 1