Starbucks Thailand Reveals Plan to Open 335 New Outlets by 2030

snoop1130

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Even though I'm not a Starbucks fan I think most people trashing it are expressing these things:

Resentment about their prices

Anti big corporations 

Anti Americanism (such as Euro snobs resenting that Americans have done better in a space they think they should rightly own centered around espresso based drinks)

Right wingers thinking they are too woke

Left wingers upset that they fight unions

How stupid many of their customers are with all the Insta BS

Trend towards cashless only shops

Etc.

The truth is their drinks though overpriced are decent enough and their coffee is pretty good.

Not the best but certainly not the worst either.

Most of those + tax avoidance. (In the UK, anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Of course, cheap labor workers are making $20 an hour now in the U.S. with health benefits.

Especially in Bangkok, I see more Thais in these places getting coffee then anyone.

Some sort to hiso status I guess they like to take photos of their 150 b coffee.

I think Starbucks coffee stinks in fact would much rather get a 7-11 coffee then the stinky skunk stuff they serve.

And at least, at 7-11, you can still use cash for your coffee. And it is not freezing cold like at all those Starsucks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The truth is their drinks though overpriced are decent enough and their coffee is pretty good.

Over priced and marginal

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Anti big corporations 

Anti Americanism

All for big corporations, it’s what disperses wealth in the economy. Just not a Starbucks fan

100% red white and blue patriot, couldn’t care less about what euros think.

26 minutes ago, BugJackBaron said:

Sometimes I  long for a good tuna sandwich . Alas, only in Bangkok have I seen some  half decent ones.

Selfmade....I am actually too lazy but wife makes good one

I am not a regular coffee drinker, in fact I might have one cup of coffee per month, if that, however Starbucks where I am was a regular meeting place to catch up with friends over a cup of tea and something to eat.

Then of course Covid came along and everything changed, and my usual Starbucks in Patong closed down, and only recently opened again, so I caught up with a couple of friends there and I've got to say that the service and the quality of the food has gone downhill quite markedly – – in fact the majority of the food consists of high sugar carbohydrate crap and not what I need to keep my waistline in trim!

As such they have lost a regular customer or three, and don't ask me to comment on the coffee because I rarely drink it and am no expert on the subject.

As an afterthought, the senior management need to train the staff, in as much as when a couple of my local Starbucks stores ran out of pepper before Covid, I asked when they would have it back in, and I got blank stares, and then three years later I go into one of the shops I had previously visited and they still didn't have any??

Something stinks in the management of those shops and it's not the food, well not all anyway!

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Starbucks

Nestle involvement - for reference :

The global coffee alliance since 2018

The purchase included Starbucks®, Seattle's Best Coffee®, Starbucks Reserve®, Teavana™, Starbucks VIA® and Torrefazione Italia® and the distribution deal cost Nestlé $7.15 billion for the exclusive right to market, sell and distribute Starbucks products. (Google)

So it is possible your rip off priced cup of "Hi So" coffee could be simply Nescafe??

When I lived in Thailand, I used Amazon coffee shops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

Over priced and marginal

All for big corporations, it’s what disperses wealth in the economy. Just not a Starbucks fan

I didn't say that all Starbucks bashers have all those reasons.

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, Rachel de France said:

And at least, at 7-11, you can still use cash for your coffee. And it is not freezing cold like at all those Starsucks!

I always use cash at Starbucks and the coffee is always at exactly the same temperature. Consistency in quality is one of Starbucks main selling points. You get what you pay for an any honest comparison puts SB coffee way above any of the other chain franchises.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I always use cash at Starbucks and the coffee is always at exactly the same temperature. Consistency in quality is one of Starbucks main selling points. You get what you pay for an any honest comparison puts SB coffee way above any of the other chain franchises.

Some shops are cashless. I don't know how many in Thailand though. As I like brewed coffee, they don't always use the same bean variety, so in that sense, you don't get consistency. In general I would say they use light or medium roast, instead of dark roast for their brewed coffee.

10 hours ago, novacova said:

Over priced and marginal

Red white and blue... mmm, Luxembourg? Netherlands? Russia? France? come on, be more specific.

btw, Euros are a currency I don't believe they think much.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, novacova said:

Over priced and marginal

Yeah, it's a political thing for many people because they encourage diversity hiring policies. Nothing to do with the coffee.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Each to his personally experience. I had the cash problem described above. But it's certainly not like Starbuck coffee is super much better than the other chains or alternatives. High price = gladly much better quality does not always correspond to subjective reality.

Edited by tomacht8

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Each to his personally experience. I had the cash problem described above. But it's certainly not like Starbuck coffee is super much better than the other chains or alternatives. High price = gladly much better quality does not always correspond to subjective reality.

Trust me, I've tried them all and the only coffee that comes close is the Americano coffee at my local gym for 50 baht. You'd have to wonder how they can charge approx double the price of their competitors and still stay in business, let alone add 355 stores.. I'm not wedded to Starbucks coffee but I can see how they justify the price even if it is expensive.

Edited by ozimoron

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Amazon coffee is 50% less than Starbucks and often close by.....

Why does anyone buy from Starbucks ?   

For me, it’s the only one I can drink due to its lower acidity . Also they  do decaf as I’m not supposed to have regular coffee. I love the cleanliness, the design and comfort, aircon., I used to be able to drink the very good Italian coffee, no more. I drink it all over the world, I don’t care about the price .

My favorite outlet is in Gaysorn Plaza.  The one in Pattaya Central Festival is too popular, too many customers.; Everyone to their own. 

28 minutes ago, geisha said:

For me, it’s the only one I can drink due to its lower acidity . Also they  do decaf as I’m not supposed to have regular coffee. I love the cleanliness, the design and comfort, aircon., I used to be able to drink the very good Italian coffee, no more. I drink it all over the world, I don’t care about the price .

My favorite outlet is in Gaysorn Plaza.  The one in Pattaya Central Festival is too popular, too many customers.; Everyone to their own. 

My favourite outlet is the one near the end of soi 6 in Pattaya. Starbucks is the only coffee shop where you can get a cappuccino with oat or almond milk. Black Canyon at Big C extra had soyn milk the other day but I prefer almond milk. Harbour Mall is also very quiet.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, h90 said:

If I have the choice beween Starbucks and 7/11 coffee, I rather drink the brown water from the klong....or the pee from the soi dog

Odd to bring in those less palatable choices!

On 7/7/2023 at 9:40 PM, BayArea said:

Thailand unlike Vietnam actually thinks Starbucks is good coffee. 

I realize Thai people believe it's a status symbol to pay for overpriced, crappy coffee. It's crazy. 

I had better coffee in the streets of Bangkok than anything I had at Starbucks. 

It's the same with iPhones, people think if they pay 50,000 for a rubbish phone they must be really hi-so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Henryford said:

It's the same with iPhones, people think if they pay 50,000 for a rubbish phone they must be really hi-so.

Same with wine too! Had a giggle at many locals being sure they got their selfies in with the wine glass and bottle prominent at a restaurant. I was going to get one myself with my beer, it was expensive Heiny, but never bothered!

Starbucks help me weed out the gold diggers from the more sensible thai ladies.  Have a friend who's girlfriend demands Starbucks every time she sees one. House is in her name, car motorcycle and some land. She's now pregnant and he is confused on how. As he had a vasectomy 10 years ago. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some shops are cashless. I don't know how many in Thailand though. As I like brewed coffee, they don't always use the same bean variety, so in that sense, you don't get consistency. In general I would say they use light or medium roast, instead of dark roast for their brewed coffee.

I have never seen a shop in Thailand that is cashless though I have seen "cashless preferred" signs. As for Starbucks,  I did enjoy the free newspaper back in the day when people read em. . The nostalgia factor I guess. Yes they do have alternative milks such as almond "milk"which is something Amazon should pick up on. Not sure how good the Internet WiFi is  but Amazon is pretty fast for the digital nomads who want to work there. And for a basic cup of decent black coffee,no you shouldn't be paying  more than 40 Baht as they charge in Amazon.