Golf dreams dashed: Thailand’s rising star disqualified from US Women’s Open after 5-hole fiasco

snoop1130

54 minutes ago, Twod0gs said:

They can in many events.

no they can't. The ONLY tournament on the PGA tour that men are allowed to use rangefinders is the PGA Championship. However, they are allowed to use them during teh 2 practice rounds (Mon/Tues) and during the pro-am if playing in that. The same applies to the men in Europe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

if men can't use range finders then why can women? are they handicapped in estimating distance?

What planet are you from???

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

no ambiguity, they're 2 different major's for the women. The US Open is clear, The AIG women's open is the renamed women's British Open. As you were confused by this you're obviously not a golfer.

Why spoil a good walk?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, topt said:

Time for a new caddie methinks........:dry:

Time for consistent rules.... the article highlights how easily this mistake was made, especially when range finders are permitted in all tournaments bar this one and one other. 

It is reported that the PGA also provided competition mode range finders for other tournaments.

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Time for consistent rules....

Perhaps but until that happens it is what it is.

No one else in the tournament seems to have fallen foul - which then also begs the question why one of the other players/caddies in her group did not say anything to her or her caddie.........

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Time for consistent rules.... the article highlights how easily this mistake was made, especially when range finders are permitted in all tournaments bar this one and one other. 

It is reported that the PGA also provided competition mode range finders for other tournaments.

I think you'll find it was the LPGA not the PGA that provided the Voice Caddie competition mode rangefinders. Also there should be no confusion as the Women's US Open is run by the USGA not the LPGA and the Women's AIG Open (British Open) is run by the R&A not the LET or LPGA.

So the rules are consistent, viz. ALL tournaments run by the LPGA & LET allow the use of rangefinders. Tournaments run by the USGA (the governing body for golf in the USA) & R&A (the governing body for golf internationally) do NOT allow the use of rangefinders in their tournaments, men's and women's.

Edited by TigerandDog

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A cheat and deservedly disqualified. 

Coming from a country where rules and laws are more like suggestions and where enforcement and accountability are highly selective, to put it mildly, the disqualification must have come as a real shock to her.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They must have emails advising of rules, they must have been a player's briefing? they must have been a caddie's briefing - covering unique rules like range-finder use.

IMO, the Starter, or another tournament official, should inform players and caddies at tee-off.

This seems like it's down to a LPGA process issue, which should be addressed, and a language/communication issue (Thai golfer, Korean Caddie {Jinsup Kim}, American/english language).

Natthakritta Vongtaveelap appears to be a(nother) gifted Thai female golfer. Hopefully she can bounce back. She needs a more experienced caddie, and a Thai-American body-person.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

It appears she was warned once (2 stroke penalty) then second time which resulted in her disqualification.

The first time maybe an oops on her and caddies part, the second time, would to me, appear to be a deliberate act of cheating.

How would one be penalised 2 strokes and not know that the penalty was for using such a device and it can't be used again? This lass is an international golfer and surely has at least some English so the thing about not understanding don't fly with me.

As an addict golfer, and competing in club and other amateur tournaments I would suggest using any range device in a tournament is just not on and no competitive entity should allow it, male of female entity.

I love my finder as an amateur but having said that I still enjoy eyeing my distance and subsequent club selection to keep my eye and distance judgement sharp.

There are a few other2 stroke no no's I'm aware of such as hitting a removed flag (lying on the ground) when putting, hitting another players ball when putting, not using a ball marker and lifting the ball, playing off different tee markers in a round or outside the markers etc.

There is quite a good handful of 2 stroke penalty rules.

Edited by Tropposurfer

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I think you'll find it was the LPGA not the PGA that provided the Voice Caddie competition mode rangefinders. Also there should be no confusion as the Women's US Open is run by the USGA not the LPGA and the Women's AIG Open (British Open) is run by the R&A not the LET or LPGA.

So the rules are consistent, viz. ALL tournaments run by the LPGA & LET allow the use of rangefinders. Tournaments run by the USGA (the governing body for golf in the USA) & R&A (the governing body for golf internationally) do NOT allow the use of rangefinders in their tournaments, men's and women's.

Stop being logical and correct - the poor things are confused enough as it is.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

It appears she was warned once (2 stroke penalty) then second time which resulted in her disqualification.

From where does this info "appear" Nowhere that I've read or seen...and earlier today I searched extensively. The rule is first violation is a 2 stroke penalty, then an ensuing violation results in DQ. Nowhere could I find that they were warned and assessed the 2-stroke penalty prior to the DQ. If privy to such pertinent info, would be much appreciated if you could provide it. Rather, it seems officials were made aware of multiple violations and she was DQ'd. 

The following is excerpted from Golf Monthly... 

Vongtaveelap was even par through five holes but was not allowed to continue after USGA officials found that her caddie, Jinsup Kim, had used a rangefinder on multiple occasions. 

14 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

The first time maybe an oops on her and caddies part, the second time, would to me, appear to be a deliberate act of cheating.

It doesn't appear that way according to anything I've read. The reports simply say that she was disqualified after it was found the rangefinder had been used multiple times.

From the AP article, for example:

The USGA said the Thai’s caddie used the distance measuring device on multiple occasions.

Thai golfer disqualified at US Women’s Open when caddie uses rangefinder

23 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

You literally just made that up.

23 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

How would one be penalised 2 strokes and not know that the penalty was for using such a device and it can't be used again? This lass is an international golfer and surely has at least some English so the thing about not understanding don't fly with me.

As an addict golfer, and competing in club and other amateur tournaments I would suggest using any range device in a tournament is just not on and no competitive entity should allow it, male of female entity.

I love my finder as an amateur but having said that I still enjoy eyeing my distance and subsequent club selection to keep my eye and distance judgement sharp.

There are a few other2 stroke no no's I'm aware of such as hitting a removed flag (lying on the ground) when putting, hitting another players ball when putting, not using a ball marker and lifting the ball, playing off different tee markers in a round or outside the markers etc.

There is quite a good handful of 2 stroke penalty rules.

I disagree. If a rangefinder helps speed up play, instead of all this BS pacing out of distances, I am all for them irrespective of whether it's a tournament or not.

Range finders determine distance, they don't give any assistance when it comes to wind and rain. They also can't discriminate between the fast baked fairways of a links course, or the over-watered pudding fairways one finds in some parts of the world. Those variables still require individual judgment.

At the end of the day, the ball still has to be hit into position, high, low, draw, fade, with or without backspin.

If we are going to ban rangefinders, IMO we should be banning yardage books and the pacing out of distances, and just have markers at 200, 150 and 100 yards or metres. Said markers are all I have ever needed.

I don't disagree both caddie and player should have known the rules, and certainly should have desisted when they received the first penalty.

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

and certainly should have desisted when they received the first penalty.

As others have mentioned It does not say they received the penalties separately as it reads that they had infringed multiple times before they were told. Again as reported in the article the same thing happened to a guy on the Korn Ferry tour.