Don't bother to help anyone

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I immediately went to the old fool and slappef  his back when he coughed up the food and then started abusing me .

Errrr, if he "coughed up the food" from a slap on the back it likely wasn't obstructing his windpipe- probably just in his mouth. To push out food obstructing the windpipe takes the Heimlich maneuver to create enough pressure to do that.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, the Heimlich maneuver is now recommended only as a last resort when someone is choking. Banging the person on the back should be tried before that (though only after encouraging them to cough).

Both the American Red Cross and UK National Health Service (NHS) recommend the following steps in order:

1. Encourage the patient to cough.

2. Give five slaps on the back after bending the patient forward.

3. Abdominal thrusts (aka the Heimlich maneuver) only if the previous methods fail.

Detailed advice from the NHS website below.

What should I do if someone is choking?

Thank you for that update. I stand corrected.

In my defense it is many many years since I retired and did a first aid course ( we did them yearly ). In my time only babies were to be given a ( light ) back slap.

They might have changed the routine because the maneuver might cause some trauma eg broken ribs if done improperly.

Many things changed during my time eg we no longer did a finger sweep for CPR as it was determined that we might just push an obstruction down further.

However, from the OP the guy rushing in just started slapping on the back without checking to see if the victim was indeed obstructed, no encouraging to cough, and no mention of bending him over to give the slaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

banging on the bag is no use it just makes the person angry, you need to do the Heimlich maneuver 

He would probably accused the OP of trying to b*gger him!!

• Love It 1

The headline of this post is - taken alone - utterly wrong.

But maybe the OP meant not to help if you dont know all or most of the circumstances surrounding the matter. Because IF you do, it is easy to determine if it is right or wrong by yourself: You will most of the time find to receive more goodwill yourself than you put into it.

But not only you may suffer by misjudgement, you could eventually even trigger the opposite consequences that you had in mind: You set a bird free to do it good, but after some minutes it might be eaten up by a cat.

But in the vast majority of times to help somebody would rather result in happiness for yourself. The unfortunate examples listed do not contradict that universal truth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably the anger made him cough it up. I thought everyone knew you do the Heimlich maneuver 

My missus gives me a slap on the back, sometimes i get small items stuck in my Epiglottis, like a small hard tomato seed, or similar, and gasping for air, it works for me.