Burger King’s new offering in Thailand has no meat and 20 slices of cheese

gargamon

53 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I take it you have never eaten any Wisconsin Cheese then

Certainly not.

But you may be able to help: I recently saw in a local shop "Wisconsin Bratwurst" for sale.

I lived long in Germany and I know what a Bratwurst is. But does this particular US town (?) have some special culinary exemption to produce proper food?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Love a grilled cheese, but that's gross.  

Indeed.

I doubt they would dare to try to sell that mess in the U.S.

American "cheese" slices have their uses, like one slice on a burger, but I'm embarassed as an American that this obscene meal is being promoted to Thais.

Yes, actually good real cheese is produced in the U.S., but processed American "cheese" is not that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Nope. Not April 1st.

----

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/11/business/thailand-burger-king-cheeseburger-intl-hnk/index.html

Burger King is causing a stir in Thailand with its new offering: a burger with no meat and a jaw-dropping amount of cheese.

This week, the Thai operator of the fast food chain introduced what it calls the “real cheeseburger,” a bun filled with as many as 20 slices of American cheese.

The item launched on Thai menus Sunday, at a reduced price of 109 Thai baht ($3.1), compared with the usual price of 380 baht ($10.9). It quickly went viral on social media in Thailand, with many users on TikTok posting videos of them trying the new sandwich.

“This is no joke. This is for real,” Burger King said in a Sunday social media post.

image.png.aa7a57f7775956f1b0a0a76f8e250f8e.png

American chese? Tasteless, and why, many wonderful european cheeses to choose from.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Why would you get a heart attack?

You won't get a heart attack from that. It's just a pervasive paranoia people have about consuming fat and cholesterol. If you want a faster heart attack, eat lots of chocolate. ice cream and other sugar laden foods.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

American chese? Tasteless, and why, many wonderful european cheeses to choose from.

Sure, load the burger with wonderful European cheeses and charge 2000 for the burger. Unfortunately all these wonderful cheeses you speak of are far too expensive in Thailand.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

If you want a faster heart attack, eat lots of chocolate.

You must be a doctor, NOT?

Cacao is just good for the heart

https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/Chocolate-is-good-for-the-heart

Chocolate is good for the heart

22 Jul 2020

Topic(s):
Nutrition, Malnutrition and Heart Disease
Risk Factors and Prevention

Sophia Antipolis, 22 July 2020:  Eating chocolate at least once a week is linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, according to research published today in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, a journal of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).1

“Our study suggests that chocolate helps keep the heart’s blood vessels healthy,” said study author Dr. Chayakrit Krittanawong of Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

You must be a doctor, NOT?

Cacao is just good for the heart

https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/Chocolate-is-good-for-the-heart

Chocolate is good for the heart

22 Jul 2020

Topic(s):
Nutrition, Malnutrition and Heart Disease
Risk Factors and Prevention

Sophia Antipolis, 22 July 2020:  Eating chocolate at least once a week is linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, according to research published today in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, a journal of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).1

“Our study suggests that chocolate helps keep the heart’s blood vessels healthy,” said study author Dr. Chayakrit Krittanawong of Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas.

Are you a doctor?

I'm not a doctor, but doctors usually know very little about health and spend their careers dispensing drugs.  

Cocao beans might be healthy, but not all the sugar and other cr*p that comes with most chocolate confectionery. Low sugar dark chocolate is the way to go for a healthier chocolate, not the sweet milk chocolate that most people, myself included, enjoy.

Apart from chocolate, I also mentioned ice cream and other sugar laden foods. Can you find an article proving they are healthy?

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Are you a doctor?

I'm not a doctor, but doctors usually know very little about health and spend their careers dispensing drugs.  

Cocao beans might be healthy, but not all the sugar and other cr*p that comes with most chocolate confectionery. Low sugar dark chocolate is the way to go for a healthier chocolate, not the sweet milk chocolate that most people, myself included, enjoy.

Apart from chocolate, I also mentioned ice cream and other sugar laden foods. Can you find an article proving they are healthy?

My link is from European Society of Cardiology , not from so doctors association, and it says chocolate, not cacao.

I'm not your google assistant, and yes excessive consumption of ice cream may not be beneficial for the heart, but fat and processes cheese are certainly worse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

Just perfect for a country where 90 percent of the citizens are lactose intolerant

You should visit any local supermarket, local store or 7Eleven. Milk and dairy products are sold in huge quantity in Thailand. There's no way that 90% are lactose intolerant. I would guess the number is quite low.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

My link is from European Society of Cardiology , not from so doctors association, and it says chocolate, not cacao.

I'm not your google assistant, and yes excessive consumption of ice cream may not be beneficial for the heart, but fat and processes cheese are certainly worse

Ok then, you're also a doctor, NOT?

My apologies - I thought you were my Google assistant, posting links to irrelevant articles.

So you can't find any articles to prove ice cream, milk chocolate and other sugar laden foods are healthy?

I'm not talking about eating healthy chocolate and I thought that might be obvious by my reference to sugar. I'm talking about getting a heart attack as soon as possible...

• Like 1

Don't think anyone has to be a nutritionist or a doc, to realize eating 20 slices on a cheese sandwich, isn't being a healthy alternative to most anything.

Saying that, and if accurate, BK's cheese may be the real thing, and apparently not the most unhealthy version ... aside from 20 slices of it.

BK Cheese ingredients

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I don't know why they chose Thailand to introduce this. I thought people here were predominantly lactose intolerant because of low milk consumption while children. Maybe that American cheese, AKA plastic cheese, actually doesn't have any dairy in it... 

Burger King had some offer on the other week, Buy one get One so i thought i'll stop on the way back, well that was the idea, can only order it on the app ok i'll download the app and order it, then the guy tells me only for delivery, WTF? even the thai woman behind me stopped to get the same offer, the staff didn't really understand the offer even they were confused I know it doesn't take much

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You should visit any local supermarket, local store or 7Eleven. Milk and dairy products are sold in huge quantity in Thailand. There's no way that 90% are lactose intolerant. I would guess the number is quite low.

Well, the lactose intolerance of Asians is well documented. Of course, many can consume it in small quantities without issue, a tablespoon or two in a cup of coffee for instance. 

When I used to make dishes heavy in white sauces, cheese products, or butter for instance, my girlfriend always had digestion issues, which, however, she didn't associate with the dairy products because she didn't know she was lactose intolerant. The problem was solved by switching to coconut milk and cheeses low in lactose.

You notice there's more awareness of the problem these days and some stores are selling lactose free milk. But the importation of a Western diet has caused Thais all kinds of problems.

Unfortunately, processed American cheese tends to have one of the highest lactose levels. I doubt that many Thais will be buying the all cheese burger anyway.

• Like 1

They should name it The Aortic Interceptor.

Just did some math: that's 13 ounces of cheese (~373 grams)

Kraft Singles American Cheese Slices 8 oz Package (12 slices)

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Sure, load the burger with wonderful European cheeses and charge 2000 for the burger. Unfortunately all these wonderful cheeses you speak of are far too expensive in Thailand.

But not in Vietnam where they are available at quite  reasonable prices, but not in LOS where there's one marketing monopoly. 

• Like 1

On burgers in general the wonderful Jetstar were 6 hours late on a flight last year so I got a voucher for AUD$10 and bought a burger and fries for more than the $10 at Bangkok airport.  Had never had Burger king and it was horrible tasteless nothing except for the excess salt. Using that as a guide this burger would be appalling. 

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

On burgers in general the wonderful Jetstar were 6 hours late on a flight last year so I got a voucher for AUD$10 and bought a burger and fries for more than the $10 at Bangkok airport.  Had never had Burger king and it was horrible tasteless nothing except for the excess salt. Using that as a guide this burger would be appalling. 

Best of a bad bunch 

You have to love how it's playing out Globally 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2023/07/11/burger-king-super-cheeseburger-thailand-new-meatless-item/70404170007/

Burger King did not clarify how many calories are in a Super Cheeseburger but CNN reported that the cheese alone would be around 2260 calories.

The burger immediately became a social media sensation with some expressing complete disgust while others were intrigued. People have begun posting TikTok videos sharing their experiences trying the sandwich or discussing the desire to visit Thailand for the unforgettable taste. 

Other Burger King restaurants in Thailand offer substitutes for beef including their salmon katsu burgers with rice served as a side.