Ride-On Lawn Mower

Manassas

Getting older and thinking it's time for a ride-on mower. I looked for one a few years ago but they were unavailable. Some import restrictions of some sort. Has anybody seen any available around the Rai? Thanks. Cheers.

This is what I have been using for the last decade.  This photo was taken on the day I bought it.

It is a Honda 3011H bought secondhand.  I paid about 45K and then a further 10K to get it working the way I wanted including new tyres and battery.  Transmission is hydrostatic which is desirable if it is made by Honda.

Very high quality, very reliable, well designed and does an excellent job.

Try here:

https://www.truck.in.th/

Look for mower section

https://www.truck2hand.com/

For me a better choice than a Chinese mower at 100K.

• Thanks 1

I have a Rover ride on mower, would never ever go back to a walk along behind mower.

Got it from these people:

https://www.facebook.com/ROVER.Mini382/?notif_id=1615542100179362&notif_t=page_post_liker_invite&ref=notif

They have a big set up, stock with service in Bangkok, transferred funds by line at the time they delivered it.

They will deliver all over Thailand

20230216_164851.jpg

I've got a 48", 4 stroke, Toro 'Titan' central-deck rear steer.  

image.png.cc8f473801a38700babd402e3f031da4.png.  Titan 48" rear steer image.png.bdda9fdf0dfa5fd1fa5d874da09cd3a6.png

The one above is in the XL series and good for smaller lawn areas like a large suburban lawn. 

My advice - never buy a cheap mower!

Especially a ride on as the cheaper ones throw their drive belts very soon after purchase with little encouragement to do so e.g. slightly too high revs when engaging the blades, stretching of the belts so when you engage the drive the belt just throws straight off, moving into heavier cutting areas, and general usage.

Putting these pesky belts back on is a total pain, and as an older fella makes them dangerous for bodily injuries when straining lying around on the ground to do so.

Toro make 2 streams of mowers a USA made, and a Chinese copy made under license to Toro, the later are obviously cheaper, they look the same but are lighter in metal gauges, the engines not as well made, and not as tough as the US made. 

Toro do sell in LOS, and online in LOS (my mowers and garden tools came over with my house contents - free import).

I haven't used anything but the 1st pic Toro above, and Honda self-propelled walk behind 22" deck 4 strokes because they are just so tough, powerful well balanced, made to last decades if cleaned a bit, blades sharpened and changed occasionally, and not smashed into concrete and over exposed tree roots they last for decades.

I use a new generation battery powered US made Toro cylinder mower for my putting green and it cut like a pair of barber scissors every time ????????

I come from Aussie, where grass and space is (was) common with houses.

Had the luxury of working as a young tacker in landscaping so I have many hours of both laying turf, and lawn, tending with good teachers and used both good and crap mowers in NSW.

Owning decent land sized here too and demanding very good quality lawns (not just grass) made it a no brainer to bring my mowers.

We have use them in the housing estate till now to mow the common areas, and the estate is buying them now too.

Ouer lawns are a tropical cultivar of Zoysia (often used on tee and fairways here) and its gorgeous. Never grown Zoysia before and its really good, and tough too.

No ugly monsoon 'Dokmai' grass for this bloke thank you ????????

Bermuda 'UltraDwarf' on my putting green ????

Happy mowing ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RanongCat said:

Some big older home supply shop have . Or  can show information to supply. No much cheaper than western countries even if from China.  Same money can employ local person to use grass cutter for many hours/days !

So true. And the ROI calculation should be more than worker wages vs cost of mower. Remember that hiring it done gets the lawn mowed by the workers; buying a mower doesn't.

That's the calculus used when I decided to let local folks trim my 3m hedges instead of buying a hedge trimmer and decent ladder.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Buffalo.jpg

Tried that a few years back. Didn't work as advertised. 

1. It also eat trees/branches

2. If you have young trees/plants - it will just walk all over them

3. It only eats the type of grass it likes, and I still hat to cut the rest

4. When they ran out of grass they eat I had to go get more from outside

5. During the hot season not grass to be found - had to buy. You can't leave those with an empty tank for more than a few days.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay guys that have them, a couple of questions:

1. how do you clean the mud and clippings from under the mower

2. how do you sharpen the blades.

With the push mower it is easy to just tip them on their side and clean with a hose. Blade easy to take off and sharpen on a grinder. Cannot imagine doing that with a ride on but if easy I will join the OP and buy one.

27 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Okay guys that have them, a couple of questions:

1. how do you clean the mud and clippings from under the mower

2. how do you sharpen the blades.

With the push mower it is easy to just tip them on their side and clean with a hose. Blade easy to take off and sharpen on a grinder. Cannot imagine doing that with a ride on but if easy I will join the OP and buy one.

To clean under the deck there is a hose pipe nozzle on the top of the deck, connect it up, turn on the water, turn on the engine and drop the deck down to lowest height, and turn on the blades, all the crud is expelled from underneath.

My Rover (MTD) ride on mower has two blades underneath, they have lasted me over three years to date.

Replacement blades are about B1200, the supplier will usually offer full service and parts.

My battery just went down due I think in part to the safety cut out on the engine that cuts off the engine every time you get off it and then having to re start it when you get back on. Standard 12v motor cycle battery fits. 

I have now short cut the safety cut out to reduce the number of starts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

My Rover (MTD) ride on mower has two blades underneath, they have lasted me over three years to date.

My property is a bit rough in parts due to old gardens not being levelled after use so there a rocks in it as well. The blades need to be sharpened monthly.

Another question, do you have ribbed tyres or smooth. Just thinking about wet season with soft ground and also on slopes.

I think they all come as standard with tires as per my picture:

I have not ever sharpened the blades but a friend who owned an MTD tractor in US said it is easy to get them off,  for me I would get the agent to do it and a full service at the same time, failing that if you need to do it often maybe a couple of small drive up ramps like the car places have.  

• Like 1

Just make sure spares are available, Global are hopeless, even if you order from them nothing happens, i have to make my own 21'' blades and had to convert to a Honda carb. 

walk behind though, when i brought my mower i asked to see it running and i pointed out NO OIL to them, they came back with it running, oh good ok. tried it out at home for about 15min, then checked  NO frigging OIL !

On 7/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, brianthainess said:

Just make sure spares are available, Global are hopeless, even if you order from them nothing happens, i have to make my own 21'' blades and had to convert to a Honda carb. 

walk behind though, when i brought my mower i asked to see it running and i pointed out NO OIL to them, they came back with it running, oh good ok. tried it out at home for about 15min, then checked  NO frigging OIL !

I don't buy power equipment from Global any more. They don't support it at all and sales staff knows <deleted> all about it. That last is generally true for all departments though.

Your experience is just soooo Thai. After 6 years here I'm still shocked sometimes.

Amazing Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, rwill said:

Wow , an MTD  for $3689.19

in the US it sells for  $1600 less at the Home depot

Troy bult, MTD and Rover are the same machine 

image.png.3d7340c667037e6f14f85345edb9a79f.png

You can probably find it for a lot less on sale. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 2:13 PM, Tropposurfer said:

I've got a 48", 4 stroke, Toro 'Titan' central-deck rear steer.  

image.png.cc8f473801a38700babd402e3f031da4.png.  Titan 48" rear steer image.png.bdda9fdf0dfa5fd1fa5d874da09cd3a6.png

The one above is in the XL series and good for smaller lawn areas like a large suburban lawn. 

My advice - never buy a cheap mower!

Especially a ride on as the cheaper ones throw their drive belts very soon after purchase with little encouragement to do so e.g. slightly too high revs when engaging the blades, stretching of the belts so when you engage the drive the belt just throws straight off, moving into heavier cutting areas, and general usage.

Putting these pesky belts back on is a total pain, and as an older fella makes them dangerous for bodily injuries when straining lying around on the ground to do so.

Toro make 2 streams of mowers a USA made, and a Chinese copy made under license to Toro, the later are obviously cheaper, they look the same but are lighter in metal gauges, the engines not as well made, and not as tough as the US made. 

Toro do sell in LOS, and online in LOS (my mowers and garden tools came over with my house contents - free import).

I haven't used anything but the 1st pic Toro above, and Honda self-propelled walk behind 22" deck 4 strokes because they are just so tough, powerful well balanced, made to last decades if cleaned a bit, blades sharpened and changed occasionally, and not smashed into concrete and over exposed tree roots they last for decades.

I use a new generation battery powered US made Toro cylinder mower for my putting green and it cut like a pair of barber scissors every time ????????

I come from Aussie, where grass and space is (was) common with houses.

Had the luxury of working as a young tacker in landscaping so I have many hours of both laying turf, and lawn, tending with good teachers and used both good and crap mowers in NSW.

Owning decent land sized here too and demanding very good quality lawns (not just grass) made it a no brainer to bring my mowers.

We have use them in the housing estate till now to mow the common areas, and the estate is buying them now too.

Ouer lawns are a tropical cultivar of Zoysia (often used on tee and fairways here) and its gorgeous. Never grown Zoysia before and its really good, and tough too.

No ugly monsoon 'Dokmai' grass for this bloke thank you ????????

Bermuda 'UltraDwarf' on my putting green ????

Happy mowing ????

That titan zero turn is a nice rig, May I ask where in Thailand you found it

In the US it sells for $ 6-7.000, what are they asking for it here? I have done a search for "Zero turn rider lawn mower for sale in Thailand" with  no success . 

Edited by sirineou

45 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Wow , an MTD  for $3689.19

in the US it sells for  $1600 less at the Home depot

Troy bult, MTD and Rover are the same machine 

Don't forget to add the shipping and customs fees if you want to use it in Thailand.

• Like 1

I paid B135k from the importer for the Rover a couple of years back, as already mentioned by sirineou Rover, MTD and Troy Built are all basically the same machine just badge engineered

I have seen MTD as low as B90k and Rover from B110 to B150k it seems to depend on the time of year and if their stock has just arrived or they are running out.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Don't forget to add the shipping and customs fees if you want to use it in Thailand.

You are right,  For some reason I thought like everything else , they were build in China or some place like that but after looking it up , I found out that they are build in Valley City, Ohio,and Martin, Tennessee, So yes there would be shipping and custom fees. 

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You are right,  For some reason I thought like everything else , they were build in China or some place like that but after looking it up , I found out that they are build in Valley City, Ohio,and Martin, Tennessee, So yes there would be shipping and custom fees. 

From my enquiries custom duties on them were only 10%, but that was from China.

• Thanks 1

I Need to get a rider lawn mower , About a year ago,I got a Rai property near my house where I play farmer, and cutting the grass with my self propelled walk behind lawn mower  , especially now during the rainy season that the grass grows like crazy is getting a bit too much, And if you dont keep on top of it m it grows too thick and the lawn mower bogs down 

I love to get a zero turn lawn mower but I have not seen them here , and since they are $5-6 k in the US I can imagine what they must cost  here, 

Anybody try to import one from China? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

That titan zero turn is a nice rig, May I ask where in Thailand you found it

In the US it sells for $ 6-7.000, what are they asking for it here? I have done a search for "Zero turn rider lawn mower for sale in Thailand" with  no success . 

Hi sirin,

Not for sale mate. We used it.

As to TORO being sold here in LOS:

Jebsen & Jessen Technology (T) ltd

23/110-117, Sorachai Bldg, 25th-29th Floor
Soi Sukhumvit 63 (Ekamai)
Wattana, Bangkok 10110
Thailand

+66 2 787 8400

I imported my baby (she was almost new then) with my household belongings in our container (no import tax).

I also brought a good supply of spares with us so servicing is easy, and with such great quality machines theres little to do especially if one doesn't bash n smash the machine about.

I do my own services with a bit of our green-keepers help, blade sharpening/changing, inner tubes and tyres, wheel and other bearings.

We wash her with a pressure-gernie after the engine has cooled down so she's nice n clean we have a dry, clean, closed garage for her to sit in.

Gorgeous machines, turn on themselves, 48" deck, excellent quality cutting, very comfy riding position, very good safety features.