Bangkok student’s offensive gesture triggers backlash

snoop1130

ดีไซน์ที่ยังไม่ได้ตั้งชื่อ-7-1.jpg

A video of a rude Bangkok student raising her middle fingers to a black teacher has been condemned by Thai netizens. The student in the video, her friend, and her friend’s racist mother were also slammed by netizens for their disrespectful behaviour and racial discrimination.

The video was initially posted on Instagram by a student from a high school in the Nong Chock district of Bangkok. The video caption stated…

“Friend, don’t feel like studying, huh?”

In the video, a student girl in a pink shirt is seen standing in front of the class behind her black teacher while the teacher is conducting a lesson for the rest of the pupils. The student pretended to punch the teacher behind her back and closed her face with two hands when her teacher turned her back to her.

But that’s not all. When the teacher turned to face the class, the obnoxious student raised two middle fingers at the teacher. She repeated this gesture twice before finally returning to her seat.

Following its viral spread, the video was eventually deleted from the original Instagram account. However, it was soon reposted on Twitter, garnering even more attention from Thai social media users. Netizens condemned the student’s lack of manners.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Twtter/ @SmpharXudr

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/bangkok-students-offensive-gesture-triggers-backlash-netizens-condemn-racism-and-lack-of-respect-toward-black-teacher

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

I worked with a black teacher, quite the gentleman. He took Thai lessons in his free time, and when he realized what Thai people were saying about him, he confronted them in their own language. That didn't slow them down one bit, they just kept trash talking him.

As well, I know of a school director in charge of six large schools, and she has put the word out in no uncertain terms they are NOT to hire black teachers, regardless of how desperate they are for teachers or how qualified the teacher may be.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Kids do that all over the world to teachers, not an indication of racism.

The teacher was lucky the girl wasn't flicking ink on her turned back.

They should put CCTV in every classroom, then send recordings to the parents.

The parents don't give a dam, 1 hour stood in the corner of the class facing the wall should help the brats

• Thumbs Up 1

In Hat Yai there is a belief that Covid originated from westerners and the students cough and pull up their masks when the teacher walks into the room. 

So much so that 2 of the teachers quit. Racism is much worse down south

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The teacher was lucky the girl wasn't flicking ink on her turned back.

I too wondered where the racism here was, but, in this instance, the parents are the source of the racism.

its clear in the original article. 

The mother of the student who uploaded the clip to Twitter defended her daughter before exploding into a racist rant.

“This is not my daughter’s fault. She (the teacher) is a fool but dares to teach my daughter. Look at you, Ngo Pa (Negrito). My daughter told me about her. She said her teacher is stupid and should go back to the jungle.”

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So the mother is clearly racist or just plain ignorant...

My post concerned the students actions.

"My daughter told me about her. She said her teacher is stupid and should go back to the jungle"

Those are the words of the student, both of them are racist.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The student in the video, her friend, and her friend’s racist mother

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But in this case the parents are racist, supporting the viral video, so it isn't as simple as that.

as im sure the teacher is now aware of this student if I was the teacher turnabout is fair play

id direct every difficult question to that student and make her a fool in front of the class..

and guess what class?  extra homework today thanks to ploy......and hows about a pop quiz!

flip the script on those little b*stards..show them whos class it is...and whos gonna get an F(ail)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Race consciousness is alive & well in Thailand.

And I guess racism too (though I've never personally encountered it).

I just read the original article and quickly saw the video on Thaiger, as well as the Asiannow excerpt.  Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see NO reason to call this "racism" !??  I read about a young student making rude gestures.  Ok, probably the student should be reprimanded for being disrespectful, but I see NO reason to call this racist.  Is there any reason to think that this student wouldn't have done the same thing to a Thai (or Caucasian... or Chinese... or....) teacher?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thai being thai .... in my book,   disrespectful ... happens every day here in different ways.

They can get away with it with foreign teachers.  They have no respect for them, do not fear them, and they are a human they can freely bully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, carlf said:

I just read the original article and quickly saw the video on Thaiger, as well as the Asiannow excerpt.  Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see NO reason to call this "racism" !??  I read about a young student making rude gestures.  Ok, probably the student should be reprimanded for being disrespectful, but I see NO reason to call this racist.  Is there any reason to think that this student wouldn't have done the same thing to a Thai (or Caucasian... or Chinese... or....) teacher?

They would probably do it to any non-Thai teacher.  But that's still racism, really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

They would probably do it to any non-Thai teacher.  But that's still racism, really.

Why would you say this?  Isn't it just possible that the kid is jerk and would do it for any teacher??  When you say "They", are you referring to Thai kids? (if so... then I think that you might want to think about who is racist here)

3 minutes ago, carlf said:

Why would you say this?  Isn't it just possible that the kid is jerk and would do it for any teacher??

Obviously it's possible, as is what I have said.  I'm simply speculating in the same manner as you are.

3 minutes ago, carlf said:

When you say "They", are you referring to Thai kids? (if so... then I think that you might want to think about who is racist here)

I'm referring to the student in the article.  Incidentally, why would saying "Thai kids are racist" make one racist?

Edited by BangkokReady