16th retirement extension Non-O but Thai wife has spent my 800k.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Go see an agent, it will cost you 12,500 per year, maybe more if you haven't got a Bangkok Bank account. If you're in Pattaya i can recommend one, i think they can help people outside of Pattaya also.

Plus fire the wife

4,700 baht to open a Bangkok Bank account for over 65-years of age. 500 will be your deposit, 3,500 for compulsory insurance and 700 for the Debit card. Don't pay more than this because some agents charge more. For under 65, it's 1000 baht less as insurance will be 2500 baht.

• Haha 1

Just now, JensenZ said:

4,700 baht to open a Bangkok Bank account for over 65-years of age. 500 will be your deposit, 3,500 for compulsory insurance and 700 for the Debit card. Don't pay more than this because some agents charge more. For under 65, it's 1000 baht less as insurance will be 2500 baht.

There is no insurance requirement.  But it my provide incentive.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no insurance requirement.  But it my provide incentive.

There is a compulsory insurance requirement. My (foreign) wife had to pay insurance when opening K-Bank accounts several years ago. An Aussie friend had to pay this in Pattaya last week.

It was not an optional payment, for incentive. It was requested as necessary to open the accounts.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

There is a compulsory insurance requirement. My (foreign) wife had to pay insurance when opening K-Bank accounts several years ago. An Aussie friend had to pay this in Pattaya last week.

No there is not.  But bank employee may be more keen on helping if you do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vatman said:

I'm up for my 16th annual extension of my Non-O based on retirement within a couple of weeks. Shock! Horror! My Thai wife, we've been married 26 years, yesterday told me she has spent my 800k keeping her restaurant going. What can I do? I'm 75, on UK passport.

Hmmm. Spent the money and didn't tell you. On the other hand, you haven't been monitoring your account. I could become a victim same as you. Thanks for the reminder. I do keep an eye on things at all times - so should we all... 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

As I said, it was not optional, and that was at 2 different banks.

But they could have had a different experience at another branch of the same bank.  It is not a bank requirement.  Nor is a 700 baht debit card.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Incorrect, it is 65k a month

In reality you need more than 65,000 every month to allow for forex variations,

80,000 gives you a safety net. 

If you only get 65,100 a month and the forex rate drops against your currency, then depending on your IO you may not get your next extension.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, motdaeng said:

how did she get access to your bank account?

That is the real question here. My wife had zero access to my bank accounts, and I kept the 800,000 in a separate account as well.

No way I'd have allowed her to be able to get at a satang of my money unless I gave it to her.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you don't or cannot trust your wife, then why are you still married to her?

I did because it saved trawling the bars to have sex.

My wife lied to me constantly, so why would I trust her?

Talking of trust, a "good" friend of 30 years scammed me out of $25,000. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

The prevailing gist of this thread -- never trust a Thai "lady," especially if she's your wife. Fortunately, I did marry a lady, and she's co-signer to my bank accounts, with her own ATM cards; can waltz into the bank with our co-signatory bank books and withdraw what she wants; and can go online, with my password, and transfer what she wants from my accounts to hers. This latter situation is what she's briefed to do when I croak, in order to avoid possible probate.

Can't imagine not trusting her, as she's never given me cause to in our 44 years of marriage. This thread just reinforces my belief that so many marriages between farangs and Thais are mismatches, which is what it is if you can't trust your spouse. Sad.

Most of the posts I have read on this thread are somewhat negative.

I agree with you 100% about trusting my Thai wife as NOT all Thai women are the same. We have been married for 23 years and I knew my wife for 7 years before that.

My simple question is this. If you cannot or will not  trust your Thai wife, then why are you still married to her?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In reality you need more than 65,000 every month to allow for forex variations,

80,000 gives you a safety net. 

If you only get 65,100 a month and the forex rate drops against your currency, then depending on your IO you may not get your next extension.

Only if you're daft enough to pay in your local currency and hope for the best.

I buy Thai baht from Wise with my phone app like everyone else living in the modern world.

Do you still write cheques?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

It was not an optional payment, for incentive. It was requested as necessary to open the accounts.

It is only necessary if you cannot satisfy all the rules now needed to open a bank account normally in Thailand. For those working and with a work permit, it is easy. Otherwise, you probably cannot meet the official requirements, and need to sweeten the deal by agreeing to purchase the insurance (where the bank employees get a small commission). Even then, only a few branches will play.

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

IMHO if this is the first and only time something like this has happened I would suggest that you do your best to forgive and support your wife, but not forget what has happened between you.

Also do your best to ignore the lip flapping posters who suggest that you dump your wife as they (and I) have no idea of your family circumstances. Most of them are losers anyway. They are like little annoying yapping puppies who know no better.

If you can find an agent perhaps you could suggest to your wife that she tries to help you out with the agents fees, if she can.

I have no idea how she managed to access your money as AFAIR it is supposed to be in an account in your name only, but that is water under the bridge.

You and your wife alone will have to deal with it and try to keep it that way.

One of the worst things that you can do is to open up on TVF where there are many posters who love to read stories like this as they feel it proves their point about Thai women.

One last thought for you, there is a possibility that you can change your retirement extension to a marriage extension which only needs 400,000 baht or a marriage extension based on income which only requires that you have a provable income of 40,000 baht per month or 80,000 if you earn enough to keep your retirement extension going.

I wish you the best of luck and I truly hope things work out for you.

Best regards

Your idea about switching to a marriage visa is a good one, but as to the rest of your advice, may I kindly point out to you that:

(a) 800,000 baht is a lot of money (67,000/mo). What kind of restaurant requires that kind of cash infusion to stay afloat? The OP's saying he's not even sure if this isn't a cover story. What's that saying about her trustworthiness? You don't think trust and respect are foundational to a relationship? 

(b) she presumably did this knowing that it might jeopardize his ability to remain in Thailand. What does that say about her love and commitment?

(c) that violation of trust means that it will be difficult to entrust her with pin codes in the future. For a 75 y/o guy that could mean that she would be unable to access funds in the event of a medical emergency, and might seriously jeopardize his access to medical care. What does that say about her love and commitment?

If the OP wants to take your advice to dismiss something like that (embezzlement - an ugly word) as a one-off situation, just forgive and forget, la-di-da, be my guest. But I actually had a similar situation with an ATM card (for a relatively small amount of money) and I can attest that the realization that you can't trust your spouse with a PIN code is traumatizing, especially when you start getting up there in years.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Only if you're daft enough to pay in your local currency and hope for the best.

I buy Thai baht from Wise with my phone app like everyone else living in the modern world.

Do you still write cheques?

My pensions are transferred to Wise UK every month and I then transfer them to my BBK account in Thailand. From that account in my name I transfer to the KBank joint account Where my wife tells me how much money she needs, then she takes it out and wastes it on food and paying bills.

I pay what bills that are left on line.

Why does she take the money? because I have trouble walking and the best I can manage at 79 years old is about 30 metres due to having 2 blackouts this year.

I gave up motorcycling about 3 years ago as if I dropped my 200cc Honda I would not have been able to pick it up. I quit driving the pickup after my second blackout as I did not want to risk a third blackout while driving and possibly killing somebody.

As for cheques the last one I wrote was from my Lloyds International account which I dumped over 12 years ago.

My wife once stole 200,000 Baht from my fixed term account (out of 400,000 I had there for my marriage extension. I think she hoped to replace it before the extension was due.

She took my fixed term bank book, passport and my forged signature on a withdrawal slip to the bank and convinced the staff I had authorised the transaction. She took it out in 4 lots of 50,000 Baht (at different branches). She tore out the page on the bankbook showing the transactions and new balance.

I checked my term deposit about 4 months before it was due and was astounded to find I was 200,000 Baht short. The bank staff managed to track down the original paperwork for the transaction done at that branch and it was obvious from some of the signatures that my wife was behind it.

Anyway, I managed to replace the money 2 months prior to the extension, although I took an unexpected financial hit. 

So if your wife or partner is determined they will always find a way to relieve you of your money. It's our job as husbands to try and safeguard our finances for our shared future. Sometimes it seems like the job of the wife is to spend as much money as soon as possible.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vatman said:

I'm up for my 16th annual extension of my Non-O based on retirement within a couple of weeks. Shock! Horror! My Thai wife, we've been married 26 years, yesterday told me she has spent my 800k keeping her restaurant going. What can I do? I'm 75, on UK passport.

How could she spend these 800k? They can’t be held in a joint account, or is that permitted in Pattaya?