The Postman keeps trying to 'befriend' me.

bob smith

On 7/26/2023 at 11:55 AM, bob smith said:

his english is horrendous. 

taxi driver english at best.

you should just get the parcel ,  turn and walk away while mumbling ......    no sapeek ingwit       !

that's it    !      he'll remember that.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:37 AM, bob smith said:

I have a recurring scenario thats been going on now for about a year.

every once in a whille mrs smith will order a package online that gets delivered by a particular motorbike driver.

he delivers post/packages etc.

when i first laid eyes on him he began with pleasant small talk, then again nice and pleasant when I saw him next.

However, around the 3rd time he started with the regular nosey Thai spiel along the lines of:

'where are you come from' 'how long u been in thailand' what you do here, you have thai wife, how much money you make etc etc etc.

so around the 4th time i made it clear to him that i was too busy for chit chat and abruptly went back inside.

for the last 3/4 visits i have made it patently clear that i am not interested in any kind of friendship/chit chat with him at all.

but still he persists this morning.

'you come from where?' how long you stay here? you like thai food?

all i want to do is collect my wifes parcel and go about my business.

I do not want to chit chat and I hate small talk, especially when they are using probing questions.

why does he continue to want to befriend me if i have made it perfectly clear i dont want to?

I usually no longer open the door to postmen but today i was so busy i just answered automtaically. 

do they not get the hint? do i have to tell him to eff off for it to hit home that i dont like him?

maybe next time i will let loose on him if he starts chatting me up again.

He seems like a nice boy.????????

2 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Maybe he is just being friendly.  If asks certain questions that are too personal.  You can say to him some questions are too personal.  He probably is curious because you are a foreigner. 
I have had Thais engage me in conversation.  Especially when taking grab car.  Asking personal questions are not uncommon in some Asian countries.  I ran into that during my visits to China. 
Hopefully he will eventually take the hint and find someone more friendly and personable to talk to. 

next time he ding dongs im gonna answer the door in the buff. 

he always seems to ring my bell when im in the shower.

the guy is beyond tedious.

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

next time he ding dongs im gonna answer the door in the buff. 

he always seems to ring my bell when im in the shower.

The time to worry is when he rings twice, or maybe Your Postman Always Rings Twice?

On that subject, maybe he's already seen you in the buff and it's your ring he wants? again maybe?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

While I don’t want to tell you to just be friendly and chit chat with him, there is something else to consider: for years 100% of my “not-a-bill” mail didn’t reach me. You can read between the lines what it is that I don’t want to say out loud. 

The Postie  has heard all the stories about foreigners coming here and building houses, giving away pick ups and motorbikes so is just fancying his chances.

Promotions at the Post Office are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

• Love It 1

20 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why don’t you just tell him to shut up, like you would if it happened in your home country?

Is that how you treat people who are trying to be friendly and chatty in your home country?

12 hours ago, JayClay said:

What wife?

I have a recurring scenario thats been going on now for about a year.

every once in a whille mrs smith will order a package online that gets delivered by a particular motorbike driver.

43 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

For those who haven't worked it out yet the clue is in Bob's choice of avatar - the actor Wilfred Brambell.  Brambell was an alcoholic and, although married for a time, a homosexual. He was famously arrested in 1962 for persistent importuning in public toilets. He was never able to come to terms with his homosexuality and spent his life in denial.......

I thought it was a funny Woody Harrelson pic.

2 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

For those who haven't worked it out yet the clue is in Bob's choice of avatar - the actor Wilfred Brambell.  Brambell was an alcoholic and, although married for a time, a homosexual. He was famously arrested in 1962 for persistent importuning in public toilets. He was never able to come to terms with his homosexuality and spent his life in denial.......

He should have went to Pattaya.

• Confused 2

22 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Why don’t you just tell him to shut up, like you would if it happened in your home country?

Are you afraid to say something because you are in Thailand?

Probably doesn't want 10 postmen jumping on his head.

Don't think many people would tell someone to shut up even in their home country.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:48 AM, worgeordie said:

Stop flirting with him , he will get the message , I thought you lived

in a tent , have a wife too , that's surprising .......

regards Worgeordie 

Bad things can happen to a drifter like Bob, if...

He begins flirting with the postman.

It's happened before, you know....