Can we state that tourism in Thailand is "sick"?

peter zwart

Can we state that tourism in Thailand is "sick"? Despite all the impressive figures from the TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand), you only need to look at the hospitality establishments to realize that these businesses are, to put it mildly, struggling. Has Covid, high ticket prices, soaring inflation, and an uncertain political situation dealt a fatal blow to the Thai tourism sector?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jomtien and Pattaya have been dead, but I did notice it has seemed to pick up the last few days, Indians on the increase is one group I am seeing more of, after a lull.

This long holiday will see Pattaya packed, I would say

^ Can you be more specific as I for one think the "comeback" is doing rather well. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, which do you think are suffering the most and in what areas of Thailand. 

Edited by marin
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, marin said:

^ Can you be more specific as I for one think the "comeback" is doing rather well. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, which do you think are suffering the most and in what areas of Thailand. 

If i see in Pattaya and Jomtien......quiet, if i hear friends in the North of Thailand......quiet. 

36 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Jomtien and Pattaya have been dead, but I did notice it has seemed to pick up the last few days, Indians on the increase is one group I am seeing more of, after a lull.

This long holiday will see Pattaya packed, I would say

Maybe, but will it be locals from Bangkok?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Can we state that tourism in Thailand is "sick"? Despite all the impressive figures from the TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand), you only need to look at the hospitality establishments to realize that these businesses are, to put it mildly, struggling. Has Covid, high ticket prices, soaring inflation, and an uncertain political situation dealt a fatal blow to the Thai tourism sector?

I think you are correct in saying the tourism in Thailand is depressed.

End of 2022 was good as the beginning of 2023 was . Since April 2023 business is down 

Think it has more to do with disposable, liquid cash, many don't have to play international tourist now, after a couple years of economic hardships.

Air fares & hotel prices certainly aren't helping, as quite high at times.  Actually surprised TH has recovered as well as it has.   Phuket was quite busy, as recently there, and off season at that.   Way too busy for us, to the point, we doubt if we'll be returning.

• Thanks 1

Tourism in the south is more than fine, it was even a problem to get a room on many island during last high season. Nothing even close applies to anywhere like Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai. Well even there are plenty tourists, just not the type we used to know.

Should we even want more than 50% of the highest peak (40 million) again? Not either. So where are these classical tourists and backpackers we used to know? Vietnam and Bali.

The only negative thing I see is that girl bars and nightlife became miserable in for example Chiang Mai, but actually this was already happening before covid, just took time to die.

Outside of the party scene, as long there is western food available, I am happy to see less. I would go to Vietnam too i it was my first holidays or I am on a budget, Thailand isn't cheap at all and the service is also nothing was it used to be, that includes smiles etc.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, peter zwart said:

Why would we do that?

It is the lull before the european summer break. 

• Like 1

Some luxury hotels in Bangkok are fully booked. 

I remember from Pattaya from many years ago that on about 360 days a year it was always easy to get a hotel room.

And let's not forget it's July. Not exactly high season for Thailand. 

• Like 1

I thought tourism was on the wane here before covid. Many of the older hotels have not been well maintained. Lobby etc lovely but behind the facade, rooms from the 90s. I can only. Imagine things have got worse with hotel owners having no capital to do any maintenance. We went away about 5 times just before Covid, high season and any hotels we stayed at estimate 30% full. Were some super cheap deals too. Went to Koh Chang a year ago and things had really gone downhill. Their advertised free buffet breakfast had been downgraded to ordering off a menu with.a scabby selection. Went away last weekend particularluly because this hotel has a pool, pool green and out of service. Another hotel we used to go to regularly had filled their pool in and made a garden but still advertising they had a pool. That sort of crep won't fly with international tourists. Anyone I know (non mongers) came here last 10 years were fairly unimpressed with Thailand and won't be coming back

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, peter zwart said:

A fatal blow is probably an excessive statement but tourism is struggling for sure.

Covid is one reason but I think Thailand is also struggling to bring added value to what it has to offer.

Cheap sex for the western lower middle class isn't gonna cut it anymore.

The average westerner has lost too much purchase power while Thais' expectations have been going up.

This creates a contradiction that won't be easy to solve imo.

I think that Thailand knows it doesn't have what it takes to attract rich people.

The narrative about attracting "quality tourism" has been fading away gradually it seems.

Recently I've seen initiatives to grow domestic and regional tourism.

TAT seems to be looking into growing Thailand's well-being industry as well.

How successful is it gonna be? I don't think anyone knows.

One thing is for sure, it will take time to shift and diversify the entire industry.

Wouldn't be surprised to see deflation in the adult industry at some point...

Edited by Jacques Clouseau
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jacques Clouseau said:

A fatal blow is probably an excessive statement but tourism is struggling for sure.

Covid is one reason but I think Thailand is also struggling to bring added value to what it has to offer.

Cheap sex for the western lower middle class isn't gonna cut it anymore.

The average westerner has lost too much purchase power while Thais' expectations have been going up.

This creates a contradiction that won't be easy to solve imo.

I think that Thailand knows it doesn't have what it takes to attract rich people.

The narrative about attracting "quality tourism" has been fading away gradually it seems.

Recently I've seen initiatives to grow domestic and regional tourism.

TAT seems to be looking into growing Thailand's well-being industry as well.

How successful is it gonna be? I don't think anyone knows.

One thing is for sure, it will take time to shift and diversify the entire industry.

Wouldn't be surprised to see deflation in the adult industry at some point...

You could go twice a week to help out......................????

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Maybe, but will it be locals from Bangkok?

Easy to tell, they will be the ones still wearing masks, must be a shock to them when they see people behaving normally

"Leading virologist Dr Yong Poovorawan says it is no longer necessary for healthy people in Thailand to wear face masks given the high level of Covid-19 immunity"

(Jan 12, 2566)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, still kicking said:

So, you are saying I am sick? I've been to Pattaya 17 times my friend, never been to a bar have friends who working at the Hilton. I don't won't to comment about you I might get banned.

Gee you are a bit hyper sensitive. But i know why.

I didnt say all people in Pattaya are sickos did I?

But if you live there as you claim you can not deny it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2023 at 3:19 PM, Goat said:

Gee you are a bit hyper sensitive. But i know why.

I didnt say all people in Pattaya are sickos did I?

But if you live there as you claim you can not deny it.

Try to read, I never said I lived in Pattaya I said I have been there 17 times although I lived in Thailand for years.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:40 AM, peter zwart said:

A political situation, so long as no violent protest or threat, will be last in the thoughts of virtually all genuine "tourists". What will shape their travel plans are costs, such as airfares and hotels and also seasonal weather. For some nationalities, it will even be the possibility of being issued a passport and being granted exit from their home country.