OPINION: New Thaksin chapter about to begin

webfact

The Powers-that-be want him back, the devil you know and all that, and he can defend the Monarchy against the MFP and the younger generation.

Smart move by the Olde Guard.

But it may only offer a brief respite from progress.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The Powers-that-be want him back, the devil you know and all that, and he can defend the Monarchy against the MFP and the younger generation.

Smart move by the Olde Guard.

But it may only offer a brief respite from progress.

In the past Thaksin was vilified by mainly the middle aged and the old.

Now he's going to be hated by the young and they've got balls that still work.

It may not be flour but I'm sure he's going to be in for some  surprises.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

IMO, the man is no stupid, he wouldn't come back had he known that he'd be in trouble, having said that, it will for sure, lead to an interesting times in Thai politics.

Likewise he is savvy enough to know that getting in bed with the generals would spell political suicide (Abhisit is living example). 

it’s interesting times indeed. I believe he’s got an Ace up his sleeves. Stay tuned 

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he comes back, which is still a big IF, then the next question will be if he can keep his mouth shut and retire gracefully. He should play with his grandchildren like he said he will.

If he will again meddle in politics, then I can't imagine that that will end just fine. He alienated too many people over the years. 

Let's hope that he dies before he returns to Thailand. Then the red-shirts can have his ashes. 

Does he still lead PT? If he does and, as has been suggested asks for a royal pardon, doesn't that risk bringing the king into politics, given the issues dividing the political parties at the moment?

I can't say I'd trust him not to be totally focused on what best for him. He says the charges against him are politically motivated but not that he'd innocent.  There's bound to be some political motivation by his opponents,  that's just to be expected from all sides. He doesn't mention his politically motivated charges against Abhisit and Suthep when PT were in power. 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he will again meddle in politics,

he didn't stop all the years. Him and his buddies met in Dubai or in London. Some weeks ago Prayut, Prawit and Thaksin have been in London at the same time. You think they never met? Or met somewhere else. Thaksin is a deal maker and probably try to continue the so successful dynasty of those Shinawatras.

• Like 1

It seems like it's a done deal. Thaksin trades re-patriation (and side benefits like a full Royal Pardon, for past offenses and anything he does from today) for his ability to reinforce fidelity and loyalty to the Crown.

It's a narrow path, but if anyone can "pull it off" it's him. And it's Thai-like. 

When/if the Thai 'people' realize what just happened - an election magically disappeared - it will be interesting to see their response - Oh! Crap!

Maybe make a run to democracy in twenty or thirty year. A lot of pressure on Rama XI.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Likewise he is savvy enough to know that getting in bed with the generals would spell political suicide (Abhisit is living example). 

it’s interesting times indeed. I believe he’s got an Ace up his sleeves. Stay tuned 

After the Red Shirt protests in 2010 Thaksin promised justice for those killed by the army.  After PT took power under Yingluck he decided to back the army instead so he could pursue charges against Abhisit and Suthep. I believe the phrase is 'politically motivated charges'. 

PT didn't get the landslide they expected this time but I don't know if that can be attributed to his collusion with the army. Somehow I don't think most of his supporters even realised or cared at the time, or now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

It seems like it's a done deal. Thaksin trades re-patriation (and side benefits like a full Royal Pardon, for past offenses and anything he does from today) for his ability to reinforce fidelity and loyalty to the Crown.

It's a narrow path, but if anyone can "pull it off" it's him. And it's Thai-like. 

When/if the Thai 'people' realize what just happened - an election magically disappeared - it will be interesting to see their response - Oh! Crap!

Maybe make a run to democracy in twenty or thirty year. A lot of pressure on Rama XI.

It will be a Regent. Initially Prayut no doubt, but subsequently another General.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

only privileged few owned flat-screen TVs which were even “thick” by today’s standard; smartphones belonged exclusively to the rich and had real buttons, not “touch” capability; Angelina Jolie was Hollywood’s most bankable actress; Twitter, YouTube and Facebook had just been conceived; and Manchester City were nothing but the “noisy neighbours” of football superpower Manchester United

Was Thaksin last in Thailand in 1998??? ????

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he comes back, which is still a big IF, then the next question will be if he can keep his mouth shut and retire gracefully. He should play with his grandchildren like he said he will.

I can imagine Thaksin and Chuwit taking a stroll around a park. 

Chuwit will look at the horizon and say, " We are getting old Tony.  I remember when all this was just fields."  Thaksin, staring at the floor, will respond, "Do you think God will forgive us for what we've done?"  Chuwit will not answer.

Both will then walk on silently, staring pensively ahead.

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Chuwit will look at the horizon and say, " We are getting old Tony.  I remember when all this was just fields."  Thaksin, staring at the floor, will respond, "Do you think God will forgive us for what we've done?"  Chuwit will not answer.

“Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you and you sold me:
There lie they, and here lie we
Under the spreading chestnut tree.”

― George Orwell, 1984

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

he didn't stop all the years. Him and his buddies met in Dubai or in London. Some weeks ago Prayut, Prawit and Thaksin have been in London at the same time. You think they never met? Or met somewhere else. Thaksin is a deal maker and probably try to continue the so successful dynasty of those Shinawatras.

Sure, a lot is going on in the background. And I don't expect that will change.

But Thaksin was never the type who wanted to stay in the background. He wants to be center stage and in the news every day. And if he tries that again, then I think there will be difficult times ahead. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't know how much they know each other but I can't imagine that stroll in the park.

And a huge difference is that Chuwit was convicted to jail, and he went to jail. He served his time behind bars. He is not a coward... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

With Thaiksin knowledge about his enemies in Thailand andd the "Mai Pen Rai" attitude of his return, I fear that Thailand will repeat the murdering at the airport like in the Philipinne.

Well......this ain't The P.I.

Assured.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he will again meddle in politics, then I can't imagine that that will end just fine. He alienated too many people over the years. 

Let's hope that he dies before he returns to Thailand. Then the red-shirts can have his ashes. 

He only alienated the corrupt establishment elites who wished to continue eternally robbing the country and a few keyboard warrior farang peanuts.

Wishing death upon a political foe is not a healthy mindset that enables rational consideration of facts and sound decision making. 

16 hours ago, thecyclist said:

A tiger cannot change its stripes. Tony will be Tony. Meddling is his middle name. After all he is the only one who can save Thailand. Just like orange Donnieboy. 

Meddling or contributing?

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.