Big C Extra, Meat department.....Why customers are almost never seen there...

redwood1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

They must have to git rid of LOADS of this unsold EXPENSIVE meat every month....Meat only has a very limited life span...

I buy some of that meat in buy 1 get 1 free deals. They always have them, but the OP didn't take any photographs of them. I never had any thoughts about taking photos to post on this forum. It's obvious why it is quiet there.

Many years ago I spotted some frozen Japanese Beef for 10,000 a kilo (when money had more value). That did suprise me. They probably ended up selling it at a huge discount.

Edited by JensenZ

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Quiet lambs?

With a name like yours I would be extra careful:tongue:

You know the part of the chicken people love to eat the most is Chicken Legs.

So much so that scientists developed a chicken with six legs.

There was only one problem with it .  

No one would catch the darn thing to eat it. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

40% of a Thai income for a KG of meat

not sure why people kee trooting out the old bugbear that all thais earn less than 20k per month. Thaland has thriving middle class that buy luxury cars, travel the world and live in condos and suburbs.

yes, the price of some of these imported products is stupid, but not all thais are dirt poor.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Big C Extra, Meat department.....Why customers are almost never seen there...

Point well made......

I was looking at the same, mouth agape, just this morning!

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

The last time I was in Big C getting served my weekly quota of sausages a Thai lady spoke to the assistant that was serving me and he immediately started to serve her, so at this stage I left the counter only to find he's following me around the aisles with a couple of kilos of sausages, at which stage I told him I don't want them anymore, I'm sure it still hasn't clicked with him why I snubbed his sausages.????????????

hehehehe you snubbed a sausage.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Got a link to stats on the amount of Thai's who earn more than 20k a month ?

At least in Bangkok, most Thais in any office job are earning more than 20k, of course, even with a decent wage many are living outside their budget, 51k salary, 20k a month BMW lease as one example.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, circa02 said:

At least in Bangkok, most Thais in any office job are earning more than 20k, of course, even with a decent wage many are living outside their budget, 51k salary, 20k a month BMW lease as one example.

So no actual stats/facts then.

as I thought.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

I used to buy steaks at big C.  Then I found a better source for better beef at less than half the cost.

IMG_0761.jpeg

Jeez........that must be over 30% fat and then some with the marbling!! Not my kind of steak!!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Airalee said:

It’s a good thing you can be happy with cheap beef.

On the rare occasion when I do buy and cook a good steak, I go for the best Aussie tenderloin, but as I said, in the main I go to a restaurant to have a good Aussie tenderloin steak and also take along a nice bottle of red wine to complement it.

Slow cooked traditional dishes are best with cheap beef, but, the one in the pic, I wouldn't touch it.

Everyone to their own I suppose.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

On the rare occasion when I do buy and cook a good steak, I go for the best Aussie tenderloin, but as I said, in the main I go to a restaurant to have a good Aussie tenderloin steak and also take along a nice bottle of red wine to complement it.

Slow cooked traditional dishes are best with cheap beef, but, the one in the pic, I wouldn't touch it.

Everyone to their own I suppose.

I like Aussie Tenderloin.  Not sure what you consider the best Aussie tenderloin.   I have 4kg of Portoro MB4+ 250 day grain fed angus tenderloins in the freezer.  Not bad for ฿1600/kg but it doesn’t hold a candle to that striploin.  Not even close.  

https://portoro.com.au

Let me know where I can score some of the best Aussie tenderloin.  I’d love to try it.

This looks good…

IMG_0764.thumb.png.f57775a32fd677a0d80cf6c3072f5a6a.png

IMG_0765.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I have 4kg of Portoro MB4+ 250 day grain fed angus tenderloins in the freezer.

Once it has been in a freezer it is just the same as most other meats-tasteless!

Fresh or chilled only, maybe vacuum packed at a push!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I like Aussie Tenderloin.  Not sure what you consider the best Aussie tenderloin.   I have 4kg of Portoro MB4+ 250 day grain fed angus tenderloins in the freezer.  Not bad for ฿1600/kg but it doesn’t hold a candle to that striploin.  Not even close.  

https://portoro.com.au

Let me know where I can score some of the best Aussie tenderloin.  I’d love to try it.

This looks good…

IMG_0764.thumb.png.f57775a32fd677a0d80cf6c3072f5a6a.png

IMG_0765.png

You are taking my words out of context, and when I say the best Aussie tenderloin, it's the one which I buy in Tops, the best they have, so I buy it. The other alternative I have used is Villa Market.

As for the Wagyu, I know that it is purposely marbled, but it doesn't appeal to me one iota.

Having said that the second pic of the Australian Wagyu tenderloin with a lot less marbling, does appeal to me, but as I said, I don't eat a lot of meat these days, and if I do, mainly it is a slow cooked beef (or in some cases pork tenderloin), done with lardons, onions, carrots, plenty of garlic and red wine, some herbs and beef stock along with some tomato purée. A hearty meal and befitting a gutsy Australian red wine.

Your comment about "being happy with cheap beef" is very far wide of the mark.

15 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Once it has been in a freezer it is just the same as most other meats-tasteless!

Fresh or chilled only, maybe vacuum packed at a push!

Care to wager at that then? We can meet at a restaurant, with you having cash in hand, and you can pick a random person to test the frozen steak I provide. If the random person says it is good....

Would $1,000 USD be a fair bet? 

Why folks argue over things like steak and weed is beyond me.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How many hours each week do spend there counting the customers and noting what they buy to rationally make that claim... five minutes, perhaps, when you walk past?

Got to agree here Lou.

A random photo is just that, random.

No story & no narrative.????????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

A 20 minite shopping trip to Big C Extra......Looking at the meat counter 2-3 times.....Empty Empty Empty

The week before that......Empty Empty Empty

The month before that....Empty Empty Empty

The year before that....Empty Empty Empty

3 years ago when Big C  ran the meat shop...Busy Busy Busy 

every time I was there for at least the previous 10 years...

Stop. You are digging your hole deeper with each blah blah post.

Yes, I agree, damn expensive, same as in Aus etc.????????

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Point well made......

I was looking at the same, mouth agape, just this morning!

I had my dislocated jaw replaced about a year back in Thailand.

Now, in Aus, prices are similarly outrageous.

I'm waiting for the Instagrammers to be outraged.????????

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I buy some of that meat in buy 1 get 1 free deals. They always have them, but the OP didn't take any photographs of them. I never had any thoughts about taking photos to post on this forum. It's obvious why it is quiet there.

Many years ago I spotted some frozen Japanese Beef for 10,000 a kilo (when money had more value). That did suprise me. They probably ended up selling it at a huge discount.

Yup, I tried some buy 1 get one free South African steak/bacon/cardboard (whichever it was.) Now I know why it was 1 + 1 free. Never again.????????

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

They must have to git rid of LOADS of this unsold EXPENSIVE meat every month....Meat only has a very limited life span...

not if it's injected with Sodium Chloride and a couple of other preservatives

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Many common Thais find 400 Baht for a kg of freshly slaughtered beef tenderloin unaffordable.

But I think the pictures answer a rhetorical question.

How many buyers will go for Spanish smoked pata negra ham for 9000 to 16000 Baht/kilo to be seen at TOPS in Central Beach rd.?

How many will buy a small flask of "handmade" Italian olive oil for 11000 Baht?

(seen many years ago at Bangkok Siam paragon basement)

Manuka honey is in a locked cabinet. I think it's good that this stuff is available even if it's way over my budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yup, I tried some buy 1 get one free South African steak/bacon/cardboard (whichever it was.) Now I know why it was 1 + 1 free. Never again.????????

I've never seen South African steak for sale there, but I do get the NZ or Aussie steak at 1 + 1 free, and it's high quality tenderloin or eye fillet. You must be legally blind not to see or recognise the different between good steak, bacon and cardboard.

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I've never seen South African steak for sale there, but I do get the NZ or Aussie steak at 1 + 1 free, and it's high quality tenderloin or eye fillet. You must be legally blind not to see or recognise the different between good steak, bacon and cardboard.

Not legally blind, just exploring.

I have been to South Africa & Zimbabwe twice and hadn't seen or heard of this meat. It wasn't good at Big C!

Agreed. Nothing wrong with Aussie or NZ steak at 1 + 1.

Cheers????????

11 hours ago, Henryford said:

I wonder what they do with it? You never see meat on sale near its sell by date. The Soi dogs must dine well.

I guess they do what most other countries do.

No. I do not know what other countries do but I reckon it would all be similar.

Why do you think Thailand is so unique?????????

11 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Big C made the mistake to go from trays of fresh meat out for the public to choose from to prewrapped portions in glass cases... I for one quit shopping there in favor of the open markets...

True. Plus they now plastic-wrap it so tightly you can't really see what you're buying. The taste in general deteriorated at the same time. Silly billies.

33 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not legally blind, just exploring.

I have been to South Africa & Zimbabwe twice and hadn't seen or heard of this meat. It wasn't good at Big C!

Agreed. Nothing wrong with Aussie or NZ steak at 1 + 1.

Cheers????????

I lived in South Africa for 6 years, but never saw the meat here. If I did I'd still pass in favour of NZ and Aussie meat. Bear in mind that the Aussie and NZ meat is export quality, and usually better than the meat available locally in NZ and Australia (I've lived in both countries).... and people are really complaining about the price of it back at home, so it's not surprising how expensive it is here. In a way, although I really like beef, the high prices here are doing my health a favour as I don't eat it as often as I would like. Too much red meat really slows down the digestive system. It's a treat rather than a regular meal.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

I lived in South Africa for 6 years, but never saw the meat here. If I did I'd still pass in favour of NZ and Aussie meat. Bear in mind that the Aussie and NZ meat is export quality, and usually better than the meat available locally in NZ and Australia (I've lived in both countries).... and people are really complaining about the price of it back at home, so it's not surprising how expensive it is here. In a way, although I really like beef, the high prices here are doing my health a favour as I don't eat it as often as I would like. Too much red meat really slows down the digestive system. It's a treat rather than a regular meal.

Yeah, times are tuff at the moment.

My original post was intended to say simply that I tried something different on special. No big deal .