Thailand could face a “lost year” if no government formed soon

webfact

3 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

I guess I'm the only one around who thinks that Thailand has been ticking along nicely (especially in the public transport sector)

Big fan of Mussolini by any chance?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I find it amusing that the OP reads almost as if it was MFP that was responsible for this situation. While the 250 unelected parasites could just let them do the work they have been elected for.

Exactly, well put. They have an economic policy which will take time to implement, so suddenly it's their fault that everything is, or will be held up. Just more of the slanted press spreading misinformation. They just don't seem to know how to write unbiased copy. Maybe they're not taught that on their media degree courses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

IIRC it is called "Buggin's turn next"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggins'_turn#:~:text=Buggins' turn or Buggins's turn,seniority saves so much trouble.

Buggins' turn or Buggins's turn is a humorous, disparaging British term for appointment to a position by rotation or seniority rather than by merit.

Can't imagine that happening here...

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

I am not sure if that is good news or bad!! What did the previous government really do in the last 9 years??

They never addressed corruption, only contributed to to it.

They never addressed road safety, just talked about it.

They made many counter productive actions during covid which were detrimental to the economy. 

They changed the constitution in a very underhand way to keep the military controlling the senate. 

I could go on and on about what they shouldn't have done and what they just didn't do that they should have. 

Very sad for the Thai people and now because of their underhanded actions the voice of the people is not being adhered to because of their intentionally devious actions just to keep their filthy snouts in the trough. 

They are the reason why their is currently no government, for them it is a military controlled regime or chaos so they can stage just another coup! 

Agree. 9 years of standstill and/or regression in all areas:
- Modernization of the school and education system?
- Excellence in research?
- Better health care for all Thais?
- Set up a pension system?
- Land reform?
- Modernization of the authorities?
- Police reform?
- Reducing the national debt?
- Strengthening democracy?
- Investments in future technologies?
- Water and sewage security?
- Road safety?
- Waste management?
- Flood prevention?
- Reduction of corruption?
- Reform of the penal laws?
- Economic growth?
- Better distribution of income?
- Transparency in government spending?
- and much more.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Thank you for an interesting pair of links.

The same photo from both links.

And from the second link this quote from Chada

"Controversial Bhumjaithai Party Deputy Leader Chada Thaiseth yesterday demanded a new law be introduced to shoot people who insult the Thai monarchy. The 62 year old MP believes Thai people should be allowed to turn vigilante and shoot people who criticise the monarchy without consequence."

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for an interesting pair of links.

The same photo from both links.

And from the second link this quote from Chada

"Controversial Bhumjaithai Party Deputy Leader Chada Thaiseth yesterday demanded a new law be introduced to shoot people who insult the Thai monarchy. The 62 year old MP believes Thai people should be allowed to turn vigilante and shoot people who criticise the monarchy without consequence."

That's right. A complete nut. Deputy leader of Bumjaithai, with whom Pheu Thai it is rumoured are looking to hook up. It was part of a tirade against Pita in parliament. This is what it's come to.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, bradiston said:

That's right. A complete nut. Deputy leader of Bumjaithai, with whom Pheu Thai it is rumoured are looking to hook up. It was part of a tirade against Pita in parliament. This is what it's come to.

Already to many shootings in Los, this would make Thailand the wild, wild west, everyone stoned wearing a gun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiwikeith said:

Yes and we all pay for that 

The £ was riding high against the baht, and all other currencies, for a month or so. You could get 45.5 some places. $1.31 anybody? Can't see how that reflects a strong baht. Now it's moved back below 44 and $1.28. Happens all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

What's being stoned got to do with it? Nonsense post.

It's not nonsense, legalised uncontrolled gunja in Thailand, and add that to alcohol and guns and being able to shoot at will, that would be a disaster, 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

It's not nonsense, legalised uncontrolled gunja in Thailand, and add that to alcohol and guns and being able to shoot at will, that would be a disaster, 

Ok, I take it back. In some ways you make a valid point. It was Anutin, leader of Bumjaithai, who brought in the ganja liberalisation laws. Now we have his right hand nut saying why not allow people to gun down anyone transgressing section 112. Bumjaithai - utterly opposed to even considering amending 112, but full steam ahead on weed amendments. Unopposed. Strange country, Thailand. Well, strange crowd running it. Irrational, emotional, unpredictable, inconsistent. Not a good basis for good governance.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Ok, I take it back. In some ways you make a valid point. It was Anutin, leader of Bumjaithai, who brought in the ganja liberalisation laws. Now we have his right hand nut saying why not allow people to gun down anyone transgressing section 112. Bumjaithai - utterly opposed to even considering amending 112, but full steam ahead on weed amendments. Unopposed. Strange country, Thailand. Well, strange crowd running it. Irrational, emotional, unpredictable, inconsistent. Not a good basis for good governance.

A farmer told me that gunga was growing well in the fields just b4 it was legalised, you would have to guess who owned it. 

27 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

A farmer told me that gunga was growing well in the fields just b4 it was legalised, you would have to guess who owned it. 

I guess "legalising" it made the supply chain that much more traceable. Now, weed shops everywhere, info on source, different types, strengths, availability. There are pluses and minuses. No idea if Anutin and co have benefited financially from the liberalisation. Apparently there's a big problem with imports.

If you followed the same trajectory with an amendment to 112 as that followed by liberalising the cannabis laws, lowering the penalties, for instance, would there be a corresponding change in attitudes and behaviour? Is that what they're scared of? Yeah, could be I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Agree. 9 years of standstill and/or regression in all areas:
- Modernization of the school and education system?
- Excellence in research?
- Better health care for all Thais?
- Set up a pension system?
- Land reform?
- Modernization of the authorities?
- Police reform?
- Reducing the national debt?
- Strengthening democracy?
- Investments in future technologies?
- Water and sewage security?
- Road safety?
- Waste management?
- Flood prevention?
- Reduction of corruption?
- Reform of the penal laws?
- Economic growth?
- Better distribution of income?
- Transparency in government spending?
- and much more.

So...what saviour might you be looking for to turn this imaginary mess around? 

Doesn't really matter what government, as they basically are all attached to the same club.

Good luck in your search.

On 7/31/2023 at 4:15 PM, tomacht8 said:

....Move Forward, which has a zero-based budgeting policy, which requires all expenses to be justified and approved in each new budget period...

To me, as a taxpayer in Thailand, that sounds right.

How are the others doing it? Simply reach into the tax fund and make expenses that are neither checked nor necessary? That this is even possible; I could puke.

Agree, all well managed corporations put strong emphasis on this subject. They know from past experiences (own and friends etc., experiences) that without strong continuous professional scrutiny company funds will be spent (or disappear) regularly.

In many countries this gets very serious scrutiny by stock exchange officials, tax officials etc. 

Further, in the company I mentioned earlier in this thread I started a 90 day support expenditure scrutiny.

All Dept. mngrs present, took half a day / one day, accountant had listed all outgoing funds which were not clearly labelled as 'a direct cost of creating value', or 'a direct cost of converting the value into revenue and margin. 

Each item of support expenditure was analysed seriously and very often it was quickly agreed that all the expenditure or perhaps 50% of the expenditure was not necessary. I also expected the snr. mngr team to explain why or why not the expenditure connected to some form of 'competitive advantage' over our competitors. 

We had a team of engineers to analyse the eficiency of our production line. They claimed 'all ok'. I wasn't convinced, I privately contacted the production line deigner and manufacturer and asked if they were willing to share production numbers of the same equipment they had installed in other manufacturing sites (without revealing company names). 

They agreed, I then tabled the details to a full snr. m'ment team meeting. I knew I would personally be unpopular but it was my job to do things like this. 

I appointed an outside engineering consultancy to do an analysis / comparison of our efficency data compared with the data from other competitors and highlight the weak points in our production costs.

They did that, they made a presentation then they left the room. This was 10:00 am. 

I told the snr. m'ment team "You will form cross functional teams and appoint a team leader, and at 4:00 pm today I expect a serious presentation to list at least 10 immediate actions to improve operational productivity by at least 20%.

The Snr. m'ment team complied (because they were in fer that I might announce further dismissals / eary retirements). 

The teams listed 12 immediate action items, they were all discussed in great detail and all immediately implemented.

I also announced 'if you don't have the right levels of knowledge / skills/ experience then you must tell me and we will fix that promptly. Five dept., mngs came to me and said 'i/we (that dept.,) don't have enough knowledge.

I quickly called in the HR Mngr and instructed him to find new staff with much higher levels of knowledge and bring them to meet the dept., mng involved and me.

First reaction of the HR Mngr was 'but I'm very busy at the moment, but I can do this next year.  An hour later I dismissed the HR Mngr., and I called 2 headhunters requisting them to quickly bring several candidates to me for intervies and to (within 2 hrs, no phone calls to outsde of the company) a suggested strategy to an organizational / people issue.

Several candidates, even after deeper explanations, couldn't see that there was a probem. 

We did find a good candidate and he stated work quickly. In the interviews I told all the HR Mngr., candidates I was looking for much deeper HR professionalism and regular new strategies to reduce costs.

I told all the Snr., mngrs., the new HR mngr. would be attending all snr. m'ment / snr departmental meetings and they must listen to his advice. (The previous HR mngr had never attended a snr. m'ment. meeting. And I also discovered every employee in the overstaffed HR dept., was a family member of the HR mngr.)

The new HR guy was quickly well respected and operational mngs keen to have his advice. Changes in operational areas coming from ideas floated by the new HR mangs reguced our operational costs by 20% within six months.