“Cannot…you not Thai”

AustinRacing

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

just another case of bigotry and racism.

Happens daily here, sadly.

No it isn't. 

I cashed in the bank 3 weeks ago, just 4,000 baht and I am white. 

I needed my Thai ID and the form was all in Thai language. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I won 20k some years ago and I was told to go to the office in Phuket town, I dont think they had ever seen a farang win, you would have though I robbed the crown jewels, You could sense the attitude they hated it having to pay me, 

Those Southerners really don't like foreigners.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Why would Thai banks pay winning lottery tickets? What's in it for them?

Commission but really it's a government service.  Only certain  banks do it, KrungThai(govt bank) is where I went. 

Funny thing there though when I applied for a credit card, they asked for my passport. I gave them my Thai ID, which they studied hard and said OK, then went away to phone someone. They came back and asked me if I had  Work Permit! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you claiming that every Thai bank offers a lottery ticket redemption service?   

Did I say that? You can ask the managers if they do. Sometimes tellers aren't up to date on everything and some don't like dealing with foreigners. trust me, I know. And if they let a Thai cash the ticket, they have to let the farangs do so also. Just need an account there, which is usual for most transactions.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Funny that when you buy the ticket no one cares whether you're Thai or not, winning however is another story.

No, it is not "another story", GLO lottery prizes are paid out without question regardless of whether the ticket holder is a Thai or a foreigner if the claimant  claims it correctly at the proper place.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you claiming that every Thai bank offers a lottery ticket redemption service?   

Did I say that?

Did I say that you did?  I just asked you a question, did the question mark not give yo a clue? 

By the way, the answer is "no", they do not.

Having been given the runaround by the bank over a different service, I rang their customer service centre. An English speaker rang me back, listened to my problem, and said he would take it up with the branch who "cannot, you are foreigner." Within the hour he rang back, told me he had sorted the matter and gave me a reference number and name to quote.

He must have put the fear of Buddha up the branch, as when I went in a couple of days later they were as nice as pie, and couldn't have been more helpful!

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did I say that you did?  I just asked you a question, did the question mark not give yo a clue? 

By the way, the answer is "no", they do not.

And I answered with a question. I know some banks don't. I just said to the OP that he could ask the manager, or go elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I won 20k some years ago and I was told to go to the office in Phuket town, I dont think they had ever seen a farang win, you would have though I robbed the crown jewels, You could sense the attitude they hated it having to pay me, 

The first time I came here was 20 years ago, so that must have been YOU that the bargirl was bragging about. She told me that the first farang ever had just won the lottery. She seemed proud of that fact.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Funny that when you buy the ticket no one cares whether you're Thai or not, winning however is another story.

it's similar to giving back deposits or cash refunds .....  they literally hate doing it ... I'm sure they must squirm inside when handing it to you.     

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

So does that bank normally payout on winning lottery tickets  ?   I thought it was only at Government lottery offices that you can collect  ?

I'm confused what your trying to say .....  are you saying they do normally pay lottery but they didn't accept your passport ?   or they do pay Thai's only  ? 

Some banks are affiliated with GLO and payout up to a certain prize. Wife was busy so asked me if I could go collect. Bank staff said that only Thais can cash n lottery  winnings at banks. 

8 hours ago, Trippy said:

Maybe, but never forget your a guest in their country, not the other way around.

And a good guest doesn't whine about their host shortcomings. 

Sure, "guests" should generally be well behaved towards their hosts, but "guests" (whether at someone's home or in a hotel) also typically get preferential treatment due to their status.  You would probably expect a guest at your home to be more polite and considerate than a member of your family, sure, but you would also be a lot nicer to your guest.

The Thai apologist version of "guest" appears to only include the responsibilities of a guest, but not the privilege.  It translates to something along the lines of "You are foreign, therefore you should give more and expect less.  And if you don't like it, go home.".  Quite bizarre (and a tad racist).

It's also important to remember that foreigners either pay to be in Thailand or work there.  (So the guest analogy doesn't really work at all.)

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Thanks 2