shingles

kingstonkid

With all the talk about COVID vaccines and such I totally missed that when you hit the 65 number you should get a shingles vaccine.  

The one downside of not having the family doctor is tht you do not have a operson that is acutley aware of what you should be doing and is proactive.

5 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

With all the talk about COVID vaccines and such I totally missed that when you hit the 65 number you should get a shingles vaccine.  

The one downside of not having the family doctor is tht you do not have a operson that is acutley aware of what you should be doing and is proactive.

I don't have a family doctor, but I do go to the same large clinic (in the states) and they have my medical records, so that help with continuity of care.

So my backpacking around the world got to Singapore, then met a French Foreign Legion guy, who said Phuket then Bangkok.

Well I was having sooooo much fun on mainly 1 night stands.

Then after a few years I got this rash, big red blisters, that followed my rib line. I went to the local Bangkok clinic convinced I had AIDS ( twas in the AIDS period) and he said think it was Shingles. So he did some blood test and sent them off.

I came back for the results and he said 'yes AIDS' then started laughing and said only Shingles. 

This was before any talk about this virus effecting older people.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Just recovering from it and wish I had got the vaccine. Too late now as doc said getting it gives strong immunity for 7 years or so. Doc also said 60 + for vaccine. ????

LoL ???? so I am not alone 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

How could anyone not know about the shingles vaccine.   Though personally, I would just go hang out with some kids with chicken pox, for that immune system booster.

Until a certain old American woman got it I didn't even know it existed let alone a vaccine 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Until a certain old American woman got it I didn't even know it existed let alone a vaccine 

Got shingles about 14 yrs ago, and since then, have noticed it's in the news quite a bit.

Might be like, never notice Charging Stations for EVs, until you actually think about getting one, then you see them everywhere ????

But shingles has been a topic headliner on AN almost monthly, so hard to miss.

And ... you really don't want to get a bad case of.  It still lingers today, and yet to figure out what the trigger is.

With that, I'd advise anyone, who knows that chicken pox is making the rounds in the village, go share some smoothies with those kids.  Get coughed & sneezed on, get exposed and boost your immune system.  I can't hurt.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Got shingles about 14 yrs ago, and since then, have noticed it's in the news quite a bit.

Might be like, never notice Charging Stations for EVs, until you actually think about getting one, then you see them everywhere ????

And ... you really don't want to get a bad case of.  It still lingers today, and yet to figure out what the trigger is.

With that, I'd advise anyone, who knows that chicken pox is making the rounds in the village, go share some smoothies with those kids.  Get coughed & sneezed on, get exposed and boost your immune system.  I can't hurt.

Saw the Dr today I was her third patient in a row with it. I guess I got control vearly she said I was the best of the three and did not have to worry about it.  Guess I got lucky 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

How could anyone not know about the shingles vaccine.   Though personally, I would just go hang out with some kids with chicken pox, for that immune system booster.

The shingles vaccine has not been out very long, in the UK it was introduced by the NHS in 2013......So I doubt many had ever heard of it.....????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

If you UK introduced it a short time ago, how is everyone meant to know...?  ????

as I stated, topic of the forum, quite often, hard to miss, along with being in the news.  

I guess not all folks keep up with things that can pop up as we age.

Relative, but 10 years is not a short time, and each new development, hits the news.

Shingle vaccines have been around since 1995 and available since 2006.

Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of them.  Too many side effects, and apparently not very effective. IMHO

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, KhunLA said:

Me me me. Does having chicken pox, which I did as a kid, mean I'm unlikely to get shingles though?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

More in the news as a result of Boomers coming into there, “golden years” (tongue in cheek). Many of us had Chickenpox as kids and, evidently the virus stays dormant for years.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Me me me. Does having chicken pox, which I did as a kid, mean I'm unlikely to get shingles though?

According the current UK campaign for the Shingles vaccine, having Chicken Pox as a kid makes you HIGH RISK for Shingles.

There is a TV campaign currently being shown on several UK channels that I watch over here.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, KhunLA said:

Though personally, I would just go hang out with some kids with chicken pox, for that immune system booster.

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of them.  Too many side effects, and apparently not very effective. IMHO

The nonsense on this thread is astounding.

Shingles only vaccine offering 90% effectiveness (Shingrix) is not even available in Thailand. Nearest place to get it is Singapore.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wouldn't think so, as immunity/antibodies long forgot how to fight.  Hence the new exposure thought.  Bit of a booster.  Help, maybe, hurt, no.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

as I stated, topic of the forum, quite often, hard to miss, along with being in the news.  

I guess not all folks keep up with things that can pop up as we age.

Relative, but 10 years is not a short time, and each new development, hits the news.

The current one, Shingrix, is very effective, but not available in Thailand. 

I had shingles about 8 years ago. Rash/blistering site around rib cage and on back in a band. It was painful but not obscenely so. 

I had no idea there was a vaccine at that time.

My dance with the recurring chicken pox virus in this form was a bout lasting for a week or so.

I was working in a remote community in WA and so treated at the base hospital ... maybe this was why no one mentioned a vaccine to me?

I have asked my Oz doc about it, and the data on its reoccurrence of it once had.

He did a bit of research and called me the other day advising me the side effects for the vaccine Shingrix are minimal, and the possibility of severe side effects are very rare per hundred thousand.

We're in Australia at the mo so I get a shot in next week.

I'll report back if I suddenly develop commie pinko ideas alla Covid misinformation/conspiracy nutjob rhetoric, grow another arm, or suddenly develop super powers.

On 8/15/2023 at 1:45 PM, kingstonkid said:

Exactly same with me.  I had heard of shingles but didnt know its relaionship with chicken pox till a mate of mine came down with it two weeks ago.  I had never heard of the vaccine till reading this thread.  I will have to enquire about it as I dont want to go thru what my mate did.

2 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

According the current UK campaign for the Shingles vaccine, having Chicken Pox as a kid makes you HIGH RISK for Shingles.

There is a TV campaign currently being shown on several UK channels that I watch over here.

Thanks. And I like your 'name'.

22 hours ago, transam said:

The shingles vaccine has not been out very long, in the UK it was introduced by the NHS in 2013......So I doubt many had ever heard of it.....????

I'm pretty sure there was another thread here on AN about Shingles recently, as I had it in my mind there were two different vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/zostavax/index.html#:~:text=CDC recommends that people 60,vaccine in use since 2006.

Slightly off topic, but I was reading a while back that over 60's should also get a Pneumonia vaccination.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The first shingles vaccine (Zostavax etc -- what is currently available  in Thailand) is  about 51% effective in preventing shingles altogether  and 67% effective in preventing post shingles neuropathy. It also lessens severity in those who still get shingles.

The newer vaccine, Shingrix, is over 90% effective in preventing shingles.

In addition to being very painful shingles can lead to prolonged (sometimes life long) complications including long term nerve pain (post herpetic neuralgia), scarring of the eye/loss of vision (which can be permanent), facial nerve paralysis and deafness (ditto). The risks of these serious complications well exceeds the extremely  small risk of serious side effects from the vaccine. 

Sheryl,

Both my father and paternal grandfather had shingles in their 50s already. I have not had it at all and now late 60s.

I saw talk recently of a vaccine but debated if it's worthwhile for me. I also have had herpes simplex on lip and second head since my 20s, though I have not had an outbreak for many years now. The last time it seemed to stir it was gone inside a day, didn't even erupt. Maybe herpes's given me immunity? I also had chicken pox as a kid.

What do you think? Should I get it? (The vaccine ????).