Thailand’s railway safety upgrade: 693 unauthorised crossings to be rerouted

webfact

Let the locals use their shortcuts to where they want to go, even if it is to see the Man upstairs.

What is the Darwin Theory?

Shouldn't the headline say that the illegal crossings are to be CLOSED/BLOCKED OFF?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, retarius said:

A good idea, but why now? Because of a publicised accident with a pick up truck?. They had the statistics that 44% of accidents happen on these unauthorised crossings some years back, then the pick up accident might not have happened.

So the unauthorized crossings are actually safer then the authorized crossings ... hmm

And these are the ones they want to close ????

Yea, I know, apples & oranges, but don't mess with my spin ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

So the unauthorized crossings are actually safer then the authorized crossings ... hmm

And these are the ones they want to close ????

Yea, I know, apples & oranges, but don't mess with my spin ????

Statistics not your strong suit, is it?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, retarius said:

Statistics not your strong suit, is it?

"They had the statistics that 44% of accidents happen on these unauthorised crossings"

Would that not leave 56% happening at authorized crossings?

I did state ... don't mess with my spin ????

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) resolved to close 693 unauthorised railway crossings across Thailand.

Any form of barrier will be adapted by the locals to ensure that they can still cross there, as they do when police barricade off a U-Turn, the concrete blocks "walk", nobody knows how or when but they do.

• Like 2

They are (finally - it was mooted first in the 1930s) building a railway up to Chiang Rai, and beyond!

They seem to be building bridges for roads rather than level crossings - someone is making some money, they have knocked down swathes of buildings to build a bridge in Wiang Chiang Rung!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Of which zero should be open.

Most will be a thing of the past anyway, as the dual lines, and high speed (faster) trains hit the rails, as crossings will become obsolete.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

"They had the statistics that 44% of accidents happen on these unauthorised crossings"

Would that not leave 56% happening at authorized crossings?

No, your statistics are still wrong. 25% of the total number of crossings produces 44% of accidents.

What's strange to me is the phrase 'unauthorised crossing' which I would understand to refer to a person or people crossing the rail lines illegally.

But no, it seems to refer to the railway lines themselves at that place (in which case who authorized the rail lines there?), or alternatively it refers to the pathway or roadway that crosses the rail lines at that point (in which case who authorized the sealed road we see in the photo above?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Most will be a thing of the past anyway, as the dual lines, and high speed (faster) trains hit the rails, as crossings will become obsolete.

Go the long way around... nah... not a Thai thing

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Of the 437 incidents involving trains that transpired between 2005 and 2021, SRT data indicates that 44% occurred at illegal crossings.

So 56% of accidents occurred at legal ones? your safer crossing at the dodgy ones TIT 555

There is hundreds of farm tracks across the railway lines,  my story, I was riding in a locomotive as my next door neighbor is a train driver, as we were travelling from Lumsum to kanchanaburi we hit a pickup truck crossing,  ( on a proper crossing )

We smashed the front off the pickup truck, when we stopped my self and the train driver climbed down from the locomotive the 150 people in the rear of the passenger train got out and started pointing at me, ah flang driving trains fault! the 3 thai guys that got out of the pickup were drunk,

????

11 hours ago, retarius said:

A good idea, but why now? Because of a publicised accident with a pick up truck?. They had the statistics that 44% of accidents happen on these unauthorised crossings some years back, then the pick up accident might not have happened.

But they've already installed hundreds of U-turn bridges over the railroad tracks! ???? 

53 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Make the trains stop and give way to the motorists.  Probably more economical.:coffee1:

Trains are slow enough already, you want them to stop at every crossing.

How about all cars on the road stop at every u-turn on the highways & intersection in town, so nobody gets T-boned.

Is it really that hard to stop at a RR crossing.

You can't fix stupid

• Like 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

the persistence of locals in utilising these unauthorised railway crossings as they usually provide the most direct and convenient route to their chosen destination.

Unlike U-turns on the roads which cost Thailand billions of $s a year in unnecessary mileage.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the 'unauthorized' part of the RR crossings.

They are gov't roads, constructed and maintained by, but the op-ed calls them 'unauthorized'

Even the crossing in photo was RR warning lights????

Is it possible for Thaiger to actually start reporting things that are real and or helpful to people.

The topic should start with "Thaiger: Thailand’s railway safety upgrade: 693 unauthorised crossings to be rerouted"  

Note to self: scroll down for source before reading.  Ignore as needed to avoid frustration. ????

Edited by KhunLA

On 8/15/2023 at 9:44 AM, retarius said:

A good idea, but why now? Because of a publicised accident with a pick up truck?. They had the statistics that 44% of accidents happen on these unauthorised crossings some years back, then the pick up accident might not have happened

Put up barriers and they will just move down the track, dont expect people to ride 30 km to get to the other side.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:22 AM, KhunLA said:

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the 'unauthorized' part of the RR crossings.

They are gov't roads, constructed and maintained by, but the op-ed calls them 'unauthorized'

Even the crossing in photo was RR warning lights????

Is it possible for Thaiger to actually start reporting things that are real and or helpful to people.

The topic should start with "Thaiger: Thailand’s railway safety upgrade: 693 unauthorised crossings to be rerouted"  

Note to self: scroll down for source before reading.  Ignore as needed to avoid frustration. ????

That will be expensive, better to put up barriers than reroute !!!