Should I or Shouldn’t I

Negita43

35 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I’m approaching 80 years with the normal issues that come with age (knees, aches and pains, etc).

I have had a Thai partner (not wife) for 12 years (in her 60’s) and I want to make the situation easy for her when I finally “pop off”.

Up until now each year we have spent time in Europe and Thailand (50/50) - she has a 10 year tourist visa (expiring in a couple of years).

The journey to and from the UK is becoming more and more of a chore, plus I have to pay the ever increasing community charge and heating etc. whilst it is unoccupied when we are in Thailand. It is in Scotland – so not possible to let on short term basis. I also have to monitor the flat whilst I am away using WIFI – heating, cameras, alarm etc.

I find that the UK is becoming increasingly spoiled by “politically correct” bureaucracy and rules about what you can and cannot do with your own property/life.

Plus the medical services are now in crisis.

Although I have wills in both countries (with a Scottish Solicitor as the executor in the UK) I worry that when I do go, my assets in the UK flat, bank accounts, ISA - not enough to attract death duties - may prove difficult for her to manage the process of actually getting the monetary value of the assets to her. And what if I die whilst we are in the UK - I think that might be overwhelming for her.

So I am seriously considering selling the flat and living permanently in Thailand (I have Non O retirement and extensions).

Of course there are major considerations with this (what if she dies before me, will the environment for Non Os stay reasonably friendly) but the main one is money – leaving the UK implies losing my UK bank accounts credit cards, etc.

Apart from the issue of how to transfer it I am not sure I want all my money sitting in a Thai bank account.

So should I or shouldn’t I?

And has anyone else “bit the bullet” and what advice would you give me on all aspects of such a move?

Rent it out long term. Sell it and buy an ETF.

14 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Apart from the issue of how to transfer it I am not sure I want all my money sitting in a Thai bank account.

Can you train somebody like her daughters/sons, nieces etc. what to do to recover funds from your assets if you 1) die in the UK or 2) die in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Of course there are major considerations with this (what if she dies before me, will the environment for Non Os stay reasonably friendly) but the main one is money – leaving the UK implies losing my UK bank accounts credit cards, etc.

There's the possibility of the Non 'O' Retirement Visa/Extension. (Whether such visa options remain 'friendly' is anyone's guess, but my personal view is that things probably won't  change much for the next 8 to ten years.) As for bank accounts, depending on your 'wealth', you might want to check out offshore bank account options (e.g. Channel Islands, Isle of Man, etc.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

1. I thought that most banks now want to close an account if you are not resident in the UK for more than 3 months.

2. I do not have any family or friends left in the UK (most of my friends are in  Spain where I worked for 10 years before Thailand) so I cannot use a friends address.

A lot of people think that, but there's been no evidence to support it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Negita43 said:

I’m approaching 80 years with the normal issues that come with age (knees, aches and pains, etc).

I have had a Thai partner (not wife) for 12 years (in her 60’s) and I want to make the situation easy for her when I finally “pop off”.

Up until now each year we have spent time in Europe and Thailand (50/50) - she has a 10 year tourist visa (expiring in a couple of years).

The journey to and from the UK is becoming more and more of a chore, plus I have to pay the ever increasing community charge and heating etc. whilst it is unoccupied when we are in Thailand. It is in Scotland – so not possible to let on short term basis. I also have to monitor the flat whilst I am away using WIFI – heating, cameras, alarm etc.

I find that the UK is becoming increasingly spoiled by “politically correct” bureaucracy and rules about what you can and cannot do with your own property/life.

Plus the medical services are now in crisis.

Although I have wills in both countries (with a Scottish Solicitor as the executor in the UK) I worry that when I do go, my assets in the UK flat, bank accounts, ISA - not enough to attract death duties - may prove difficult for her to manage the process of actually getting the monetary value of the assets to her. And what if I die whilst we are in the UK - I think that might be overwhelming for her.

So I am seriously considering selling the flat and living permanently in Thailand (I have Non O retirement and extensions).

And has anyone else “bit the bullet” and what advice would you give me on all aspects of such a move?

You could at least do a royal mail redirect for a while on the banking paperwork

to the likes of 'Mailboxes etc' shops which are all over. I had looked at that but decided to keep my place in the UK.

4 hours ago, swissie said:

The OP will find it hard to find a Private Thai Health Insurer to take him on at his age. (Or at a ruinous monthly premium).
Of course, can "self insure". = Have at least 5 mio Bht on the side.

You point up the concern I would have. If you have serious health issues in Thailand, it can become very expensive. You often cannot get proper treatment unless you can pay. Once you leave the UK, you lose access to the NHS which (while underfunded and in a fair amount of trouble) can usually still provide critical care if it is needed. At least, give this important issue some thought.

As against that, your quality of life in Thailand is almost certainly going to be better under normal circumstances.

• Like 2

Is there any type of business in the UK that you can use for an address?  

There are businesses in the USA that only do the mail address stuff you get your own address and mailbox.  It's not a PO Box.  I use one, I've never seen it, and I'll never go there, it's just a building that mail is received and processed.  I use the address for official mail.  Receive my mail, scan to a pdf, available same day, ship to me Fedex, ups, dhl, and can deposit checks in my bank.  Tied to all my CC and banking and my pensions, anything official.  Cost is about $30 USD per month.  Hope you can figure something out for your situation.

• Thanks 2

My wife and I, both Americans, have been in Thailand for 38 years, the last ten fully retired in a home we built upcountry.  Most of our assets are in the US, where we  have set up a revocable living trust, naming three Thais beneficiaries (as representative of three families).  Nothing changes while we are alive, and we use our assets the same as before.  Upon our deaths, the beneficiaries become immediate owners of these US assets, without having to go through probate as with a will.  All they have to do is divide it all up.  Thailand does not recognize trusts, so we have wills for our Thai property.  In any case, the trust  simplifies everything else, as well as avoiding the courts.  Maybe the OP could go a similar route, if allowable in the UK.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NedR69 said:

s there any type of business in the UK that you can use for an address?  

Apparently there are free virtual ones, and you only pay for mail delivered. or a monthly plan, i have no idea how safe or the cost. I just did a search.  

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A lot of people think that, but there's been no evidence to support it. 

it does vary by bank for example, HSBS will let you use a overseas address, Lloyds won't but they will let you use an overseas number.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

That's nonsense. There has been a mass of people posting on having their accounts closed and last month my bank informed me that mine will be closed this month.

In the nine years that I've been on this forum I've read of just 2 and in both cases there was a back story which went beyond simply living abroad. Do you have a back story to tell?

7 hours ago, NedR69 said:

Is there any type of business in the UK that you can use for an address?  

Yes, there are forwarding services available in the UK for a price. That are not acceptable as the address on a UK bank account.

19 hours ago, Negita43 said:

leaving the UK implies losing my UK bank accounts credit cards, etc.

Not really. You just need to be a bit canny. Do you still have family in the UK?

I left the UK 30 years ago.

I gave the bank my MIL's address as my address but told them that I would be back and forth between UK and Thailand. The bank also has my Thai address. I access my money there by using NatWest Online.

The only tricky bit here is that my MIL is older than me (I am 72) and I will have to do some fancy footwork when she dies - if I am still alive. I will tell the bank in the UK that I have moved and I will use either my daughter's address or, more likely, the address of my SIL.

My pension is frozen as I told the people there that I was living in Thailand. (I do not believe in cheating people.)

For the reasons that you have described, I rarely go back to the UK now. Last time was when my wife died - 6 years ago. Thailand is my home.

There are some things that will still go to my 'UK address' and my SIL couriers them to me here. Luckily, my in-laws still consider me part of their family.

I also have a PayPal account in the UK which was useful when Thailand stopped them for foreigners.

Problem sorted.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1