Thailand’s baht leads Asian currency downturn amid China’s economic worry

snoop1130

I must say that I thought the insanity of the post election shenanigans would have hurt the baht. I have some money I want to bring over and have been waiting for the baht to drop. The other observation here is that if China has such a profound effect on the regions economy, it might be wise to help and not rock the boat by flirting with the US. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Nothing sticks to the Teflon Baht for longer than 5 nano seconds ????

Teflon bought with billions in foreign currency reserves (37 $billion in past two and a half years) by BOT to prop up/defend the baht.   https://www.thaienquirer.com/44229/thai-baht-heads-to-near-37-baht-us-as-bot-defends-its-use-of-19-billion-in-defending-the-currency/

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

yes I believe that, but I think that the political situation is more of influence of the Thai Baht than China.. Negative publications about high household debts in Thailand are doing no good too and an economy that stays behind because of outdated laws and ideas are of more influence  

The same situation has existed for many years. Certainly for as long as I can remember.

27 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Teflon bought with billions in foreign currency reserves (37 $billion in past two and a half years) by BOT to prop up/defend the baht.   https://www.thaienquirer.com/44229/thai-baht-heads-to-near-37-baht-us-as-bot-defends-its-use-of-19-billion-in-defending-the-currency/

Exactly.

It won't fall much further as the BOT won't allow it to. The last thing they want is a collapse like the late 90's.

56 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'm biding my time till the UKP gets back to 70+ again.

I was lucky enough to buy my house then, in cash. And, the way things are going, I think a return to that rate is more likely than not. It's just a question of when. But what caused the crash then wasn't the political situation or high personal debt, it was the Bangkok Bank of Commerce handing out huge unsecured loans to their friends which eventually led to the bank's collapse.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, morrobay said:

So the Thai baht is artificially inflated . What affect can that have on the Thai economy ? An overrated currency , pretending to be strong whilst in reality the country has lost manufacturing companies along with a drop off in tourism . I can only assume that it is the wealthy Thais who are benefiting from the supported baht through held tangible assets such as Bangkok buildings and office blocks etc .

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly.

It won't fall much further as the BOT won't allow it to. The last thing they want is a collapse like the late 90's.

But the bahts value now is not in line with fundamentals. And if those fundamentals, tourism, exports, outflows, household debt/consumer spending keep going South then how sustainable is this artificial baht exchange rate. Those foreign currency reserves are going to be needed to cover the aboves. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

If the China Juan falls, will the hi speed railway cost less?  The Thai section of the silk road can be paid for on the cheap.

The Prayut government agreed originally to 100% financing by China at an interest rate higher than the then Thailand Sovereign Bond rate, likely because for potential default (NCPO rejected under Article 44 any economic feasibility study required by law). So if the TSB rate increases (ie., due to collapse in attracting capital), it seems to me that China's financial advantage is neutralized or somewhat weakened.

But ...

In January 2021 Thailand and China renewed a baht-yuan currency swap for the exchange of local currencies up to 370 billion baht over five years starting December 2020. That results in $1 USD = 30.06 baht.

https://www.reuters.com

With 35 baht = $1 USD Thailand gains the advantage, if say at least for one quarter. And that assumes the HS system will be profitable enough to cover loan debt payments.

China now discovers that within China its HS rail system with minimal/no cargo will default because rates are not completely elastic to passenger personal fixed incomes. A phenonemum experienced by the Thai government with BTS contract rates. 

And Thailand criminalized gambling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1