Chinese Rolls-Royce Owner Demands Compensation from Pickup Truck Driver

webfact

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Insurance and accident claims not the same here surely you know unless you get 1st class and many Thais can't afford 1st class or don't want to pay for it.

People we new in the village went and bought a new Isuzu....neither of them had a license lol. Was talking to the women and I said what about insurance. No promprem! Did you know with most insurance companies they are covered for accidents even if they don't have a license. As long as someone pays the premium. The insurance system here is bizarre, particularly for vehicles. It actually seems that if one party has no insurance they have a pow wow and the insured person is deemed at fault irrespective of who's fault it is. Why premiums here with some of the well known companies here are so high. I went to have a dent in the back door of my pick up repaired and they ended up replacing 3 other panels and some plastic work all at the ok of Viryah. Said they wanted to make my car like new again. Mind you their premiums were 17000 baht per year vs 7000 with Roo Jai. I imagine with more competitive insurers entering the market the other guys will have to tighten up to compete and things wont be so free and breezy  

Edited by Kenny202

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

People we new in the village went and bought a new Isuzu....neither of them had a license lol. Was talking to the women and I said what about insurance. No promprem! Did you know with most insurance companies they are covered for accidents even if they don't have a license. As long as someone pays the premium

Gov CTPL no need for DL, I not know of any extra voluntary insurance companies that would pay on a claim.

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

You would think that supercar owners have access to additional insurance that covers them for accidents regardless of who's fault it is.

Because they know for sure that the average driver is going to have a very low payout insurance policy throughout the entire country.

This woman should have phoned her insurance company and left it to them, they will then negotiate with the responsible parties insurance company and if it's deemed necessary they will cover any and all damage and then go into recovery mode where they file lawsuits for any costs they can't recover - or write it off which I suspect is what happens.

There's no way she's going to be left with a broken car and out of pocket.

I don’t think these luxury cars get 100% insurance or if so. the premium is so high, that it doesn’t make economic sense to insure them at full insurance, because no one will ever crash into them, right? 

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What does your policy say in regards the 3rd part property liability ?

Mine is capped at 5mill on the daily hack.

Mine is also capped at 5,000,000, but I went and purchased additional insurance on top of the mandatory

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

38 years old and owns a Roller? Who says you can't make money running a restaurant in Thailand?

Here we have a foreigner in the news, based on what I've read over the last 15 years or so while I've been here in Thailand this will lead to some kind of government scrutiny, she had better have all her finances in order and taxes paid going back to the day she arrived or they're going to come for her.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO anyone stupid enough to drive a car like that anywhere in Thailand in normal traffic is an <deleted>.

Hopefully the pickup driver is insured.

she was driving her car on a public highway. where else should she have driven it? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ross163103 said:

I thought about this also. If it had been a different nationality of farang the investigation would already be done, but seeing how she's a rich chinese--the master race that Thais bow down too (sarcasm), we haven't heard anything about that. Maybe the brown envelopes glossed over checking on that.

"Maybe the brown envelopes glossed over checking on that".

Why should being hit by another vehicle require checking of work permits?  How would it be relevant?

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

She needs to brush up on Thai law as it is applied. If the foreigner wasn't in the country the accident couldn't have happened so it must be the foreigners fault. Whether her special exemption for being Chinese overrides that is yet to be established.

"She needs to brush up on Thai law as it is applied".

Based on your comment, so do you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

'I am also willing to be that the parts may hae tocome frothe factory.'

Coincidentaly I watched a YouTube video yesterday on how many luxury cars, Lambo, Ferrari etc use parts from regular cars. When you go to an 'authorized dealer' the $60 taillight from a Camry suddenly costs $1,000.

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should being hit by another vehicle require checking of work permits?  How would it be relevant?

Because she owns two restaurants--or her family does.

When the police will arrerst a farang for just walking behind the counter of a bar he owns it's probably justified to investigate whether she works in Thailand or not.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

When the police will arrerst a farang for just walking behind the counter of a bar he owns it's probably justified to investigate whether she works in Thailand or not.

do not need a work permit to own a restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ross163103 said:
26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?  Since when has owning a couple of restaurants required a work permit?

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
10 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Expand  

do not need a work permit to own a restaurant.

...or two restauramts, or a Rolls Royce!

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Here we have a foreigner in the news, based on what I've read over the last 15 years or so while I've been here in Thailand this will lead to some kind of government scrutiny, she had better have all her finances in order and taxes paid going back to the day she arrived or they're going to come for her.

She might turn around and say,

'Don't you know who my Chinese Daddy is'?

IIRC her Mum is Thai, which makes her Thai and her Daddy is Chinese. It seems as though the Chinese don't allow dual nationality which is why she is Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, neeray said:

Personally, I find it grossly unfair, in any country, where privileged people drive on the streets in an overly expensive car, often hundreds of times more pricey than what 99.9% of the common folk drive. Thus, if a collision should happen, the commoner is placed in a very difficult position. Such is the case here. Of course the pickup truck driver is at fault but had she been driving a "normal" car, his insurance, if he was insured, would have been adequate.

(As an aside, I wonder if she has the proper work permit)

like watching Marie Antoinette demanding blood for a scratch on her gold leafed wagon

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 6:20 PM, peter zwart said:
On 8/17/2023 at 3:51 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Reading the linked full reports would help you.

Was yesterday news on tv. The info was: no insurance

It is in this thread that the RR owner is not asking the pickup driver for any compensation as she is accepting responsibility for the accident!...

"Remarkably, the Chinese driver chose not to hold the pickup driver accountable for the incident and declined any form of compensation for the damages inflicted on her vehicle. However, the pickup driver incurred expenses to repair his damaged bumper".

On 8/17/2023 at 6:20 PM, peter zwart said:

Was yesterday news on tv. The info was: no insurance

I always buy 1st class insurance to protect myself against these uninsured drivers, too many on our roads. 

My Thai neighbour has around a dozen vehicles, none insured or taxed. 

10 hours ago, RobU said:

I don't understand the controversy here. The pick up driver was too close and in the wrong, essentially driving in a dangerous manner. Therefore he or his insurance should pay. It doesn't matter whether the car he rear ended was a Rolls Royce or a Fiat Punto. The wealth of the .Rolls Royce driver is irrelevant 

The controversy is it happened in Thailand so many western ideological thoughts about the accident come into play.

• Confused 1

On 8/17/2023 at 6:49 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It would be interesting to see here information about the legal situation.

Many of us have an insurance. But all insurances have limits. And in Thailand the limits are not high.

If a poor person with a (government) insured vehicle crashes into something expensive, what will happen? The poor person won't be able to pay the full repair cost because the person is poor.

But what would happen is i.e. a farang dollar millionaire rides on a properly insured motorcycle and crashes into such car? After the insurance pays the little money which it will pay, does the rich person have to pay all the rest from his own money?

It would be great to read a legal answer about this - and not lots of speculations as usual. 

Guilty party is liable. If guilty party has assets he can be forced to pay, if no assets nothing can be had.

• Thumbs Up 1