Hotel room safe or reception safe ?

observer90210

53 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nonsense .... please don't try to water down the fact that you can't leave things in safes in hotel rooms in Thailand. They steal it and it's that simple. 

Genuine questions...

- How many times have you had something stolen from a hotel safe in Thailand ?

- How many times has someone you know (first hand) had something stolen from a hotel safe in Thailand ?

------

The answer for me is zero to both...  But thats not being a Thai apologist, just my experience here over two decades. 

I do know of 4 encounters where a female had their handbag snatched, and one had the phone lifted from her handbag. 

I know of 1 encounter were a friend caught his made thieving (he suspected and set up a cam).

I've had maids for over 20 years (different maids) and never encountered a theft. 

Luck comes into, but I wonder if 'where we stay' and the standards of the place come into it.... 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Genuine questions...

- How many times has someone you know (first hand) had something stolen from a hotel safe in Thailand ?

------

The answer for me is zero to both...  But thats not being a Thai apologist, just my experience here over two decades. 

I do know of 4 encounters where a female had their handbag snatched, and one had the phone lifted from her handbag. 

I know of 1 encounter were a friend caught his made thieving (he suspected and set up a cam).

I've had maids for over 20 years (different maids) and never encountered a theft. 

Luck comes into, but I wonder if 'where we stay' and the standards of the place come into it.... 

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Yes, as in a bank safe, it’s a security covered room, not at reception. There are only 2 keys, one is yours one is the Hotels. You need the two keys to open the safe, which is a proper safe. There are also cameras on the ceilings. The person on safe duty can’t open your  safe unless you are present. Also , to have access you sign your name which is checked with your room number. 

And don't lose your key, as a chickie friend of mine did in Mexico, and they had to tap/drill the lock, costing me a bit of pesos.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Genuine questions...

------

Fair enough, but I wouldn’t leave a large amount of money, or my credit cards, or my passport in a hotel safe. You go out for the day, you wouldn’t notice a theft until late. I sleep much better knowing my belongings are safe ! I had my passport stolen once ( not from a safe) and the trouble I had as I was on a very long trip and nowhere near an embassy. Spoilt my holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Go to your safe

Push Lock button

see the word "Super"

push 0 button 6 times.

If I have something of value--I usually leave in a locked suitcase ---which is no where near 100% , but probably 40-50% better then the safe.

You dont have to have something taken to be stolen from - if you leave your credit cards there then anyone with a mobile Phone will have your information. You should never Ever--leave your CVV number on your card -- photo it and remove it as soon as you get your card. Without it --They can not use it for internet purchases, this goes for shops as well. The last time I brought some runners from Robinson's-The girl looked at the card for about a minutes & said "your number has been removed" I said I know--but you dont need it do you, this is not an internet purchase.

Good idea. But reserving online hotel or airline  I’m always asked for my CVV number, so someone there does have the number?? Maybe I’m not understanding? I had a problem last year . I have a platinum card I only use for hotel bookings / airlines . One day my bank manager called me and said he’d blocked my card as it had been used in New York.  So how did the scammer get my CVV? For me it had to be the airline or a Thai hotel.

Any advice ?? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

have to check out that combination next time I arrive to a locked safe ????

I think there's a few different ones on YT, as remember another doing something else, possibly different brand safe ... like pushing # key repeated.

Someone has the have the passcode, for 'user oops', forgetting, and surely it's not going to be the manager after midnight of before 6AM.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I think there's a few different ones on YT, as remember another doing something else, possibly different brand safe ... like pushing # key repeated.

Someone has the have the passcode, for 'user oops', forgetting, and surely it's not going to be the manager after midnight of before 6AM.

useally a master key on those I have experienced That had been locked by the previous guest, or needed to change battery. 

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Good idea. But reserving online hotel or airline  I’m always asked for my CVV number, so someone there does have the number?? Maybe I’m not understanding? I had a problem last year . I have a platinum card I only use for hotel bookings / airlines . One day my bank manager called me and said he’d blocked my card as it had been used in New York.  So how did the scammer get my CVV? For me it had to be the airline or a Thai hotel.

Any advice ?? 

100% safety does not exist once your card details are put online for the hotel, airline...

Best thing if possible is not to let the card out of sight if physically paying

For online purchase, try another bank,  that enables generated numbers on each transaction with their credit card. 

It's a service given on any card thru the bank's app,  in which you enter the amount of each transaction.

The system then generates a one-time number, one-time exp date and one-time CVV number that is only valid for the current purchase online. You then use instead these details and not your regular card details.

Many European banks offer this system at no extra fee. It does affect normal usage of the card when you pay over the counter.

• Like 1

"This is excellent advice (removing CCV number) ... I never even thought about it (but will follow it). "

What kind of cards you guys have?

- I can block Internet purchases on my card via my internet bank. When I need it I just activate it and block again.

- I also can limit internet transaction amount to any $ amount.

I trust Thai hotels. Never a problem. I make friends with the cleaning crew. They are my "security" offices ????

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

"This is excellent advice (removing CCV number) ... I never even thought about it (but will follow it). "

What kind of cards you guys have?

- I can block Internet purchases on my card via my internet bank. When I need it I just activate it and block again.

Can you block purchases after they have been made when you don't even know about them ?

Or, do you activate and de-activate your card when you use it multiple times per day ?

Most of the hacks I've had in the past are from what I believe to be data leaks from online payments.

Before that, use an old fashioned 'paper transaction' in Malaysia and it was a sure fire way to get your card used in HK within 24 hours !! 

We (wife and I have Thai CC's)...  Wife gets hacked a couple of times per year usually... 

I think its from online transactions (I suspect a particular online 'shop' ee as my Wife's card gets hacked more than mine, I hardly use that online retailer)... no issues though.. 

We get messages to our phones when a transaction is made...  so can tell as soon as a transaction thats not ours is made.... Wife calls up and the transaction is cancelled and new card arrives in a day or two...  Seems to be a relatively regular process, irritating. 

Now with overseas (UK) accounts / cards I we have to authenticate on the an app...  PayPal too.

Bit annoying if we loose our phone then !

BUT.. when overseas we need our Thai Sim card to receive Wifi calling (sms over wifi) so we won't know if our card has been hacked after using it at a point of sale because we wont get the message. 

Removing the CCV stops someone copying it and using our CC account online - So, good advice. 

Personally, I believe we shouldn't even have our name on our cards... we know who we are right. 

Pick up a 'lost card' and us it online, we're asked to 'in put our name as it appears on the card'....  If there's no name.... 

- I also can limit internet transaction amount to any $ amount.

Thats just internet banking...  a bit of a faff to change limits all the time. 

I trust Thai hotels. Never a problem. I make friends with the cleaning crew. They are my "security" offices ????

Erm...  er...  ok....  just a risk for anyone else who doesn't hang around their hotel room in the day time to make friends with the cleaning crew then... 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

that's on the room maids key ring ... lol

There is definitely no third key on a Hotel security safe, maybe in a room safe, I wouldn’t know. Never used one. Have you seen what the rooms safes are like ? they are toy safety boxes.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

To be fair to all Thai's in the service trade...   I have never had anything stolen from a room, but understand, it happens.

To be fair to all Thai's in general, I've never had anything stolen.... but understand, thieve and scammers are all around us.

I would say the same thing.  I leave my laptop out in the room.  Sometime have left jewelry out by accident.  Never had anything stolen.  I know it can happen but it could happen anywhere in the world.  They are not all thieves as some here seem to think.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, geisha said:

Any advice ?? 

If I don't trust the merchant then I use a WISE virtual card which I delete as soon as I have made the payment so that it cannot be used again.

Hi guys

My Thai wife gets things stolen in 4-5* hotels. Money from handbags, new underwear from unlocked suitcases seems to be worst. Mainly by Burma maids. Never had any problems with modern room safes. I should have called the police really as the hotels don't give a monkeys. But the loss was less than the the bib tea money.

Sunny days ahead.

• Like 1

The best hotel for security I ever came across in BKK was not some hi so hotel---in fact  the opposite , years gone the Grace hotel was great place for late night drinking -- partying (and anything else you would want) The reception area was one long desk---behind--open for all to see,  it was rows of security boxes, not the silly wooden ones I have seen at some places- Just the same as the Banks have. Solid metal 2 keys to open-- 1,000Bht deposit returnable unless key is lost & lock replaced. 

On every single floor 24/7 sat a girl all through the night, they (2 of them) were on 12 hour shifts--midday -midnight, and they would service the rooms as people left. (always a good indication when you brought a girl back from some other place---and there was an animated conversation between them as you stepped out of the lift.  "So you told me you never come here before"----No Not Come here --she come from same Village me-- "Whats the Village called?" ----Bangkok---right.

If you took a girl back, Then stay in the room when she leaves--- they Phone & wont let her leave (get her Id Back) from the security area reception until you say everything is OK. No ID age check no girl.  Of course as the long time residents know---they went over the top with security of the hotel that they were asked to help with security down in Pattaya---locking the fire doors,so people didn't leave without paying--  about 90 --100 dead--- 26 years ago Pattaya then, wasn't  in any way set up to deal with a fire disaster like that.

They still have an age restricted horrific video of it on Youtube-- 

I haven't stayed at the Grace for nearly 20 years wonder how much its changed.---Had a quick look at Tripadvisor  this is "some" of their report

Grace (Disgrace) Hotel, Bangkok.

Located on Sukhumivit Road and in Nana area. Its frequently visited by Middle Eastern and Asian tourists for two main reasons: its located in the center of the Redlight area and also close to the Bumrungrad Hospital. Grace hotel has different categories of rooms, the best ones are in Block C, those which cost 1600 Baht (approx. 49$ a night) and overlook the swimming pool). These rooms are spacious but not well lighted. The bathroom is clean. The customer service especially the receptionists in the hotel is bad except for one lady who is referred to as Mama. She is the one who can help, the others, however, are very unfriendly and sometimes rude. Grace is a brothel and not a hotel at night tens of girls from different countries gather somewhere in the coffee shop for display.--To sum up, Grace hotel is not a good place for families and even for tourist-minded individuals but it’s a perfect place for sex mongers.

Yes, sounds like  it hasn't changed a bit........:clap2:

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

In my suitcase in the laundry bag with my dirty underwear and socks :whistling:

Yes. Lock any valuables in your suitcase. Staff have the ability and know-how to open room safes in case you forget your code, and there have been plenty of tales of staff 'raiding' the hotel safe with the aid of an illicit extra key. A popular tactic is not to take everything moneywise, in the hope that you won't notice a few bills missing. Happened to me in KL, two $100 bills were taken while leaving another three or four there. I got the police in and they said no local would take $100 bills as they'd raise suspicion.

• Like 1