Medical Insurance.

Nip

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

And when you get to hospital, BUPA goes "pre existing condition.... to bad too sad".

I like the ones I hear about, that want you to pay, and they'll reimburse you ... ????

For those considering ins. here, go to your local hospital, or 3, that you'd probably be taken to, if an emergency oops, and ask them, which carriers they prefer to deal with, hassle free.

They will let you know, who they like, and don't like.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I like the ones I hear about, that want you to pay, and they'll reimburse you ... ????

For those considering ins. here, go to your local hospital, or 3, that you'd probably be taken to, if an emergency oops, and ask them, which carriers they prefer to deal with, hassle free.

They will let you know, who they like, and don't like.

Flipside... ask insurer, if finacial cover is required... will they go pre-approved BEFORE any medical treatment or are they claim back afterwards...

If claim back... yeah good luck with that !!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, HampiK said:

I have Cigna Global now for 5 years. And yes, they are not cheap, but I feel better with them than with a Thai Insurance, who can raise the premiums or kick you out after a big claim.

Don't be so naïve as to kid yourself that those insurers aren't able to alter premiums on renewal or refuse ongoing cover, either.  Increased premiums and "No, thanks, we cannot offer you cover" are not the exclusive preserve of Thai businesses.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thanks for reminding me ???? a friend had bladder cancer diagnosed,Op needed and chemo, because it was slow growing, said before cover started, claim was denied

That's called a pre-existing condition, whether you like it or not, all insurers exclude them...obviously.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't be so naïve as to kid yourself that those insurers aren't able to alter premiums on renewal or refuse ongoing cover, either.  Increased premiums and "No, thanks, we cannot offer you cover" are not the exclusive preserve of Thai businesses.

Who you know seems to be more of a factor for any kind of insurance payment here that elsewhere.  I would not rely on Thai medical insurance to be around when needed.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Check ups are a rip off as well. Most medical care is a rip off. My advice is to start with a great diagnosis from the best physician you can afford

"...start with a great diagnosis..."

Why? You've just posted that "check-ups and medical care are rip-offs"...make up your mind.

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well I have had bladder cancer/removal at cost of over one million baht and about another two million in related cancer testing/treatment over the 7 years since and my US insurance has no issue with payment and my cost remains the same.  So very glad I have it.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What are you talking about?  Every, insurer, without exception excludes pre-existing conditions.

With some travel insurance I now notice that you can apply and pay extra for pre existing conditions.

Of course they would go on probality I guess ,no idea how they assess it,and of course the extra cost 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Well I have had bladder cancer/removal at cost of over one million baht and about another two million in related cancer testing/treatment over the 7 years since and my US insurance has no issue with payment and my cost remains the same.  So very glad I have it.

I'm glad to hear it but don't assume that a private insurer cannot alter annual premiums of annual contracts.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm glad to hear it but don't assume that a private insurer cannot alter annual premiums of annual contracts.

I did not say they could not alter annual premiums - but it would be/is for everyone.  Not based on a persons claims.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:
3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?  

Thai Insurance tends to pay those that have the means to make them pay. 

Garbage. 

As I commented in the previous post that you didn't answer, what do you base that bizarre assertion on?   Nothing at all, I suspect.

Getting back to the OP

I hope you can find your policy .

I realised now this is a very big part of a expat budget nearly $150 to $200 U.S a month for expats insurance!!

Something every one needs to think about before moving there !

No use saying it won't happen to me , you need a plan either have the money to pay for treatment OR a plan to go back to your home country if you need expensive treatment eg chemo 

17 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I will presume that is a group plan which is a different animal from individually underwritten policies.

Correct.  But a major factor is being from a country with strict oversight as are other insurance types and firms in many countries.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Correct.  But a major factor is being from a country with strict oversight as are other insurance types and firms in many countries.

As opposed to Thailand?

From the OPM Bc/Bs handbook:

No pre-existing
condition limitation

We will not refuse to cover the treatment of a condition you had before you enrolled in this Plan solely because you had the condition before you enrolled.

So that is not a minor difference group plan versus individual

Edited by jerrymahoney

19 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Getting back to the OP

I hope you can find your policy .

I realised now this is a very big part of a expat budget nearly $150 to $200 U.S a month for expats insurance!!

Something every one needs to think about before moving there !

No use saying it won't happen to me , you need a plan either have the money to pay for treatment OR a plan to go back to your home country if you need expensive treatment eg chemo 

Spot on. Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

How many people in TH can qualify for that coverage.

And I never made any indication that that could - what many expats can do however is apply for insurance from major countries to cover them here and not rely on Thai firms.  And if they have good coverage in home country that will cover them here perhaps best to keep it even if payments seem a bit more.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

I feel that health insurance is not something to be taken lightly, and my coverage could be seen as overkill.

I have my private insurance with Cigna (worldwide excl. USA, USD 2,300/year), my work-provided insurance (AXA, worldwide), and I am under Thai Social Security. None has pre-existing condition limitations (Cigna, I have been with them for many years without claim, AXA specifically states no exclusion, and Thai SS has no exclusion either).

The first 2 (AXA + Cigna) are redundant to an extent, but in case I would lose my job, or when I retire, it would be very hard/expensive to get back to Cigna if I discontinued the cover. Upon retirement, I will also be covered by Social Security in my country of citizenship in Europe.

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What are you talking about?  Every, insurer, without exception excludes pre-existing conditions.

Yes of course & that is what I am saying about that $500 policy for a 80 years old...meaning yes good if he doesn't have many preexisting exclusions, Believe it or not some folks are lucky that way...yes not the majority

I am the person who also said that is understandable because if you were the owner of a insurance company you would not sell fire insurance to anyone with their house already on fire would you?

1 hour ago, mania said:

I am the person who also said that is understandable because if you were the owner of a insurance company you would not sell fire insurance to anyone with their house already on fire would you?

Also as a fire insurer, you might be a bit suspicious if a week after the policy starts, the house burns down.

23 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

To be fair though it was work supplied insurance

The point here is that they are not going to jeapardise a company policy deal over one Bt7m claim, if you take it out on your own you are on your own is my understanding of the insurance market.

Knew somebody who drove here because he was under Global corporation insurance, said never would if had to buy personal insurance - reasoning as above.

BTW Prompt unquestioning payment of small claims is a cost viable customer retention strategy (vs customer acquisition cost).

Edited by mokwit