Thailand’s Digital Minister Seeking Court Order to Shut Down Facebook over Fake Ads and Scams

snoop1130

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Minister stated that the Digital Ministry has tried numerous times to work with Facebook on removing and taking action against scammers using its platform but claimed the company had not taken any meaningful action.

Almost every school in Thailand uses FB as a communication platform... what would they do?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

A big part of the scams is Thais using the culturally and educationally ingrained behaviors like blind, unquestioning obedience to perceived authority to take advantage of other Thais. Yet the government has not taken action on their end to foster critical thinking in society...

Greed also comes in to play, scammers love the greedy! Have I got a deal for you! :jap:

• Like 1

For a Minister supposedly in charge of IT things, no matter how temporarily, he is appallingly ignorant about how the digital world works. Everyone knows there are ways around 'blocking' a site, even in China. Everyone except him, that is.

What he says about Facebook is true, we all know that. It is full of scams and fake ads, so many with its billions of users around the world that it is impossible to keep tabs on it all. As I wrote in another thread yesterday, all they can do is put a plaster on a gaping wound to try and limit the damage. Worse than scams and fake ads though are the hate messages sent usually via Twitter/X. Why not block that too. Maybe even prioritise it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, pepi2005 said:

Fartbook is very quick and effective in automatically detecting, filtering and censoring content questioning climate and corona propaganda (for example), yet for some reason, detecting scams, spam and left-wing extremism seems an unsolvable problem for this (and many other Silicon Valley) corporations.

I wonder why that is? Maybe the planet just hasn't enough computer power for that, dunno.

Getting them to take down any of the many gratuitous animal cruelty videos is an exercise in futility. Nothing you report seems to infringe their guidelines or is considered unacceptable. Not that I want to see Facebook banned but I would like to see the owners display some moral fibre. Get sick of seeing Chinese people dragging dogs destined for the dinner table behind their bikes and cars or videos of large animals and snakes throttling domestic animals to death etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chaiwat said complaints against users being scammed on Facebook to police were regular and that as Facebook was not taking action on their end, according to him, Thailand planned to seek a court order to legally shutter the service, joining countries like China and North Korea.

And there you have it folks...  

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Almost every school in Thailand uses FB as a communication platform... what would they do?

I think you'll find that they use line to contact everyone with anything important, but you do have a point...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

next they will be wanting to go back into the 1900s and revert back to Siam.

Some may recall a drama series set amongst the court and Royal household of Siam in the 17 Century, which was aired back at the beginning of Prayut's time in government. It depicted life as a feudal idyll, remarkably clean well fed peasants looked after by a benign aristocracy.

One of the characters was a European (Portuguese I think) member of the court. He was always up to something devious, and at the end of most episodes got a good kicking from the stalwart handsome heroes.

The whole fandangle was enthusiastically pushed by Prayut and his bunch as the sort of society to aspire towards. There were whole ranges of knock off clothing and products; I remember how children (my daughter and her friends, then entering their teens), were encouraged to dress up on Fridays in "traditional" (polyester made in China) Siamese costumes. Of course they looked jolly pretty, and enjoyed it immensely, but I was always slightly disturbed by how enthusiastically the, umh, more conservative members of staff at my school embraced it.

Exactly the sort of society ,authority in the hands of the "good people" and the proles in their place, that these sort of people aspire to. 

You can expect, if Facebook is closed off, Tic Toc, Instagram and others to follow. The friends to the Nort East will be only too happy to supply the knowhow! Of course a replacement service " designed for Thailand's needs" will be introduced. Perhaps a project for the next four years once the new government is installed?

Putting these sort of politicians in charge of digital economy and communications is a bit like making Garry Glitter a trustee of a Children's home!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Obviously this guy and his cohorts have no clue of what it means to be a "caretaker" official, especially when it comes to this kind of a major, controversial move.

You wanna see a rebellion in Thailand, just try taking away their Facebook. ????

Yes expect thousand of phone addicts to have breakdowns, how will I know what my friend is having for breakfast? what about the gossip? Oh wo is me. 555555555

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

Its true many people sre conned with fake ads and facebook do nothing to correct the problem. 

If they are can't protect the subscribers then a ban would be in order until facebook take some action to protect people from the hundreds of scammers currently  on facebook. 

And hundreds of 1000s of businesses that rely on it would grind to a halt. Good to think about these things before posting.

• Like 1