I need a New Kitchen

Tamarind21

Hi, this is my first post here. Can anyone please recommend a reputable company that sells and installs kitchens in pattaya that speaks English. I went to homepro and I did not have a good experience, they tried thier best, but language was a major issue.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

In my house the units were built in brick then tiled, plastic type doors were used...It was recommended, and glad I did it....

The house next door was eaten by termites.....????

Done the same, looks great and got done for very cheap by my builder.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Tamarind21 said:

Hi, this is my first post here. Can anyone please recommend a reputable company that sells and installs kitchens in pattaya that speaks English. I went to homepro and I did not have a good experience, they tried thier best, but language was a major issue.

Thanks

Condo or house? 

50 minutes ago, stevekrabi said:
6 hours ago, transam said:

In my house the units were built in brick then tiled, plastic type doors were used...It was recommended, and glad I did it....

The house next door was eaten by termites.....????

Done the same, looks great and got done for very cheap by my builder.

Our kitchen designer presented pictures of the same (solid brick build cupboards)... it looked cheap. 

Boontavorn had similar brick built inbuilt cupboards... it looked cheap. 

I guess it's down to the end product you are happy with and also what type of property you are fitting.

As per OMF - the Ikea kitchens were spot on, decent quality and no termite issues in the town. 

If you live in the middle of the countryside, then I imagine termites 'could' be an issue, but this is not a problem I've encountered in Bangkok and I doubt it is an issue in a house or condo in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Our kitchen designer presented pictures of the same (solid brick build cupboards)... it looked cheap. 

I guess it's down to the end product you are happy with and also what type of property you are fitting.

As per OMF - the Ikea kitchens were spot on, decent quality and no termite issues in the town. 

If you live in the middle of the countryside, then I imagine termites 'could' be an issue, but this is not a problem I've encountered in Bangkok and I doubt it is an issue in a house or condo in Pattaya.

Suppose it depends on what one thinks about "looks cheap", but for me, it was taking into consideration the area I live, what those in the know think, and what was available to me 16 years back.

The kitchen looks the same after sixteen years, nothing has rotted, or been eaten. Oops, tell a lie, her coffee bar got water damaged, naff shelving. Just replaced that, and flood damage, rising damp, fixed that too..????

Mind you, the kitchen is 40 feet long, so a lot of thought went into it..????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I had termites in a 12th floor concrete condo in Hawaii where all species are invasive.  

Came up from under the floor where they ate carpet tacking strips, wood doors/trim and furniture

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Suppose it depends on what one thinks about "looks cheap", but for me, it was taking into consideration the area I live, what those in the know think, and what was available to me 16 years back.

The kitchen looks the same after sixteen years, nothing has rotted, or been eaten. Oops, tell a lie, her coffee bar got water damaged, naff shelving. Just replaced that, and flood damage, rising damp, fixed that too..????

Mind you, the kitchen is 40 feet long, so a lot of thought went into it..????

Well, you mentioned plastic cupboard doors....   Which, if it's a kitchen which is open to the elements makes perfect sense. 

Also, if up in Kalasin or Nakhon somewhere else, availability of anything other than the 'traditional' inbuilt Thai kitchen is thin.

If in Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc... there is a lot more choice.

6 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I had termites in a 12th floor concrete condo in Hawaii where all species are invasive.  

Came up from under the floor where they ate carpet tacking strips, wood doors/trim and furniture

They ate large sections of the pebblecreet around my pool at Jomtien. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, you mentioned plastic cupboard doors....   Which, if it's a kitchen which is open to the elements makes perfect sense. 

Also, if up in Kalasin or Nakhon somewhere else, availability of anything other than the 'traditional' inbuilt Thai kitchen is thin.

If in Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc... there is a lot more choice.

We have nothing outside, the plastic doors were the only viable thing back then, but they still work OK...

Now, 2023, there is a huge amount of stuff to choose from in my area, but in all honesty, I would still go down the brick and tile route, oh, they are even tiled inside............????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Years ago we had Termites in a Table...   (the wood they made the table from already had termites) the table was swapped out without issue. 

Thus, I'm aware termites 'could' be an issue, but I've been here a long time and this is one example I have heard of (amongst myself and friends etc), so I don't think termites are a concern in the towns and cities unless getting cheap furniture where the wood has not been treated. 

I don't think an IKEA kitchen is at risk of termites if installed in an indoor kitchen in Bangkok, Pattaya etc and it certainly looks better than the 'brick' built units (just an opinion of course).

I think the termite debate is fairly moot unless building a kitchen open to the elements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some years back I designed my smallish kitchen,all worked out well until my 2 door refrigerator was delivered with the doors opening from the wrong side,sorry cannot fix ,this is standard/only configuration in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Years ago we had Termites in a Table...   (the wood they made the table from already had termites) the table was swapped out without issue. 

Thus, I'm aware termites 'could' be an issue, but I've been here a long time and this is one example I have heard of (amongst myself and friends etc), so I don't think termites are a concern in the towns and cities unless getting cheap furniture where the wood has not been treated. 

I don't think an IKEA kitchen is at risk of termites if installed in an indoor kitchen in Bangkok, Pattaya etc and it certainly looks better than the 'brick' built units (just an opinion of course).

I think the termite debate is fairly moot unless building a kitchen open to the elements. 

Termites are not the worst enemy of Ikea fitted furniture. Maids and bug-killing companies are! They will flood the floor and skirtings etc., causing the mdf to swell.

Make sure to seal all edges and joints with foil tape. Ensure units are not mounted so no wood touches the floor.... if it does, seal with mastic.

Properly done, it will last the warranty period. Done "thai style" it won't. There are people around who are expert at modifying and fitting this stuff, but they can't advertise!

• Like 1

This guy will travel, 

https://www.facebook.com/teeraphatfurniture

No English, with a translator he will explain the difference in his furniture and ikea - much better than boonthavorn - he talked about everything here, termites and bowing of wood due to Thai cleaning practices. He gave me a sales pitch when he was in town for an hour or so, then came back which I paid him a small amount and he proposed a design, put all my ideas into a plan on the first attempt. Really understanding, really helpful and knowledgeable. 

if you want cement carcasses, I’m sure he could work with you.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your thinking is wrong, although I would agree on appearance.

I knew a guy that had a house in South Pattaya, came back from the UK one time to find kitchen eaten away.

I built my own kitchen from units and fitted marble top. Ok for about 12 years but in last couple have had a few termite attacks, now a bit like whackamole. The units I bought were quite cheap and had started to delaminate paving the way to a delicious feast for the termites.

It has nothing to do with being open to the elements, apart from other insects like carpenter bees, termites live underground. They can come up through cracks in the concrete of the floors and walls, a bit unwise to be complacent.

It is not just kitchens. When my house was built the electrician put a supply to an external junction box. He didn't seal the rear very well and the termites got in to the box and up the conduit into the coving. The coving was wood which was supposed to have been treated but when it was taken down you coud see that different parts were eaten away as though the treatment wasn't uniform. The coving had been painted and there was no sign of termite activity until the paint started to wrinkle, which wasn't that obvious from floor level.

If you have any trees or shrubs adjacent to the property you can be at risk as the termites will be attracted by the roots.

Yes I've been looking at kitchens too , but in nakhon nowhere , choice is limited.

Local Homepro has some for the stone/tile type and it looks reasonable. Just one kitchen western style , with a westerner price of around 430k ...

PVC cupboard are ugly and look cheap.

The 2 doors from Global house will probably be it for me. @1990 , still expensive for what it is.

DSCF4724.JPG

DSCF4726.JPG

DSCF4729.JPG

Global 18 aug (13).JPG

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lots of termites in Pattaya.

Kitchen sets from Ikea, SB Furniture, Index are made of mdf / particle boards which are treated with chemicals to deter termites. But over time the chemicals will fade and termites will eat it up. No matter if its house or condos, termites will be there – especially if its old condos. I have condo rental units in jomtiem and Bangkok and have seen termites devour closet and kitchen sets – but these are old units 20+ years and on 30+ floor too! Newer condos don’t really have termite problems but it still exists.

Pros of Ikea unit is its easy / cheap to replace and change if you have damage. Cons might be if you are in pattaya, its hard to do.

Like another poster said, your main problem will be water damage from leakage and drips under the sink.

I have changed my rental units to boonthavorn concrete kitchen sets due to water damage problems from tenants. They are tiled inside also with quartz counter tops and tile sides. I have attached a picture. The door part is not as nice, but not bad. There is a lot of selections at the store. 

Even in Boonthavorn, there are at least 3 different companies offering kitchen services. Have a look and shop around.

S__60997640.jpg