Facebook threatened with closure as it is linked to 70% of online fraud says outgoing minister

webfact

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

it also generates a lot of income for Thai people, then they would also need to look at LINE I get a few dodgy messages through that, I never give out my number yet I keep getting added to new friends list, recent messages "are you still in Bangkok" I havent lived in Bangkok for 20 years, 

Do you have the 'Add Friends' option disabled in settings?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Some people I know seem to like to "collect friends". Like is it some kind of badge of honor, to have over 1,000 "friends". I have seen some accounts with 5,000 friends. Nobody has 5,000 relationships with people. It is just anothe

One reason I quit Linked In. I got requests almost daily to add them as a contact. I would check their page. If they had more than a few dozen contacts I told them to f**k off.

I agree with all your statements about the cesspools called social media, and the influencers.

Unfortunately I see no wait to stop the negative influences they have on society. Som nam na.

I'm just glad I'm on my out instead of my way in.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Purdey said:

essentially punishing the majority because of actions of a minority. 

Kinda like the strip searches we endure at airports now?

Kinda like multilevel authentications we all endure just to reach a web site?

The problem is that scammers quickly turn anything on the web into a mess.

We all spend our time chasing protection against the newest online/email scam.

No solutions available but guaranteed to only get worse.

Humans are so infinitely clever at painting ourselves into corners.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

One reason I quit Linked In. I got requests almost daily to add them as a contact. I would check their page. If they had more than a few dozen contacts I told them to f**k off.

I agree with all your statements about the cesspools called social media, and the influencers.

Unfortunately I see no wait to stop the negative influences they have on society. Som nam na.

I'm just glad I'm on my out instead of my way in.

Yeah, a friend of mine said the exact same thing to me a couple of weeks ago and it's kind of stayed with me. I thought it was rather bleak and pessimistic outlook at the time but I think he was right. I do think our best years are behind us as a culture and I honestly and sincerely believe that we are moving backwards as a civilization. 

• Love It 2

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Should the Thai government be shut down because of corruption?

Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn should have come with a solution while he was in power.

What about coup makers ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Never used fbook never will. And certainly don’t need to be validated by those types of internet platforms. I can really care less. Though I am very interested seeing what happens and if the world will end in TH if it disappeared????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

95% of entrepreneurial small businesses operate on FB.

Most large-scale retail service and food businesses drive revenue via FB.

Might as well shoot yourself in the temple rather than the foot.

IMO, this "outgoing" "caretaker" MDES Minster should close his pie hole.

This problem should be solved by working with FB, and not rattling his toy sabre.

"MO, this "outgoing" "caretaker" MDES Minster should close his pie hole."

Dead right! It's not his problem any more so SHADDAP instead of trying to stir things up!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to say this but there are more Thai scammers than FB scammers as a foreigner most of us get scammed every day as we are overcharged if we buy local produce thankfully now there are stores on the islands where regardless of nationality we all pay the same price prior to those arriving when I went to the local fruit or fish markets I would be charged double the price . The truth of the matter is that there is so much social media that people can discuss anything from politics to corruption Thailand could be well following there very good friends China  by trying to restrict all forms of social media to there citizen’s!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The minister claimed that 70% of all online fraud in Thailand was linked to sponsored pages advertised by Facebook

Given Thailand's criminal defamation laws - this should be entertaining.  :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yeah, a friend of mine said the exact same thing to me a couple of weeks ago and it's kind of stayed with me. I thought it was rather bleak and pessimistic outlook at the time but I think he was right. I do think our best years are behind us as a culture and I honestly and sincerely believe that we are moving backwards as a civilization. 

Sadly?  I agree with both you and your friend, especially as I was a kid in the 1950s and have a historical perspective to reflect and compare our current environment to.  Our best years are definitely behind us, which bodes not well for our children and grand-children.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Press conference given by outgoing Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn last week in which he threatened that Facebook faces closure in Thailand with both civil and criminal proceedings to be filed by his ministry and the Royal Thai Police.

However, a few tens of million p*ssed-off Thais, including my wife who live on Facebook, will be voting for Move Forward the next election.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I, regrettably, feel the same.

Old people for millenia (probably) have said the world is going to hell. This time I think they're right.

There are simply too many complicated and complex issues facing humanity now and we are showing ourselves unable to unite in the face of it much less formulate any response.

Humanity has collectively progressed ourselves into this position and a collective and concerted effort is our only hope of finding solutions.

Social media unfortunately clearly demonstrates our true level of civilization;  none but a thin veneer.

Piers Anthony, in a scifi book called Macroscope, several decades ago described a sensor that looked back through time into the galaxy. What he found was that many civilizations had risen to high technology only to finally exhaust their planets' resources before establishing off-world colonies. So exhausted, they each finally fell into chaos and disappeared.

If we don't get off planet in the next hundred years it seems unlikely that we will meet the same fate.

Very Darwinian but likely true. Maybe we just don't deserve to reach the stars.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

The OP states that the problem is with sponsored FB adverts which are fraudulent.  IMHO, FB is totally complicit in this fraud because they have to approve every sponsored advert.  When I have paid for sponsored adverts (for my educational charity app), I know that my advert copy was checked by a real person and on several occasions I had to edit the copy before the ad would be accepted by FB.  Therefore, I'm fairly sure that FB checks every sponsored ad copy and it is FB which gives the all-clear to these fraudulent ads.

TBH, you have to be pretty stupid not to spot a fraudulent sponsored advert. "Earn 5,000 baht a day for doing sod-all" etc is clearly some kind of fraud and IMHO FB knows this!

Oh I don't know, sounds like an ad for a politicians job, may be genuine.

26 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I, regrettably, feel the same.

Old people for millenia (probably) have said the world is going to hell. This time I think they're right.

There are simply too many complicated and complex issues facing humanity now and we are showing ourselves unable to unite in the face of it much less formulate any response.

Humanity has collectively progressed ourselves into this position and a collective and concerted effort is our only hope of finding solutions.

Social media unfortunately clearly demonstrates our true level of civilization;  none but a thin veneer.

Piers Anthony, in a scifi book called Macroscope, several decades ago described a sensor that looked back through time into the galaxy. What he found was that many civilizations had risen to high technology only to finally exhaust their planets' resources before establishing off-world colonies. So exhausted, they each finally fell into chaos and disappeared.

If we don't get off planet in the next hundred years it seems unlikely that we will meet the same fate.

Very Darwinian but likely true. Maybe we just don't deserve to reach the stars.

Older people are perceived as cynics and misanthropes. But, they are simply people who have at last heard the still, sad music of humanity, played by a mediocre rock band howling for fame. 

• Like 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Older people are perceived as cynics and misanthropes. But, they are simply people who have at last heard the still, sad music of humanity, played by a mediocre rock band howling for fame. 

I like it. Thanks.

I've been asking friends my age for a few years if they think they could get this age without being cynical. They answer that long experience as a human makes that impossible.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Poor deflection and no answer to my question.

Which was this. A simple yes or no answer please.

Has Srettha actually said that, or was it outgoing Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn?

How sad that you cannot answer a simple yes or no question, without deflecting or diverting from the subject.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While computers were supposed to make us smarter they have in fact dumbed down a great deal of society.  Also the Baby boomers caused a certain aount of the problem with their desire to give their kids everything they wanted with no responsibility.  That just got with with each generation.

Society is going down hill and really ther is no way of stopping it.

There are not rules or laws anymore just look at the U.S. as an example you kill someone or beat up a person you are out on the street and people talk about how you are mistreated adn not understood.

But a person defends themself or is not in the same political belief as you and it is a huge crime and they must go to jail.

• Thumbs Up 1