Facebook threatened with closure as it is linked to 70% of online fraud says outgoing minister

webfact

Many of the scammers are in Thailand. He should fix that first. The police do nothing. I was told there were too many to do anything about. We had the guys bank account information at Bangkok Bank, and yet they still sat on their hands.

Easier to blame Facebook I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Sorry to say this but there are more Thai scammers than FB scammers as a foreigner most of us get scammed every day as we are overcharged if we buy local produce thankfully now there are stores on the islands where regardless of nationality we all pay the same price prior to those arriving when I went to the local fruit or fish markets I would be charged double the price . The truth of the matter is that there is so much social media that people can discuss anything from politics to corruption Thailand could be well following there very good friends China  by trying to restrict all forms of social media to there citizen’s!

You must live in a tourist area. When I go to the local markets here in rural Kamphaeng Phet the same price as my wife who is Thai.

Most of the stuff has a marked price, and if it is not marked, I can understand enough Thai to get the idea of the prices the locals pay, and 99% of the time I get asked the same price.

If they try to charge me more I offer the same price that the local paid before me. If they want more i just shake my head, smile and walk away.

There are not that many farangs out here, and the regular traders know and remember most of us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately there are financial  scams all over the internet, not just on Facebook!  How about passing some tough legislation to make companies like Facebook financially responsible for covering the financial loses caused to it's membership due to the criminal activity of the companies that Facebook supports and profits from!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joe Mama said:

Unfortunately there are financial  scams all over the internet, not just on Facebook!  How about passing some tough legislation to make companies like Facebook financially responsible for covering the financial loses caused to it's membership due to the criminal activity of the companies that Facebook supports and profits from!

How about folk using their loaf before messing about with cash on FB.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, steven100 said:

shut the damn thing down ....  they sell everything from firearms to fireworks,  gold, illegal drugs .....  full of thief's, fake items and you name it ....

It's a cesspit ...  and it needs closing.    

No it's not, I am on there...............????

But, I would never do a money transaction on it, though I did sell my truck very quickly there.........????

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Fine the beejeezus out of Facebook (or Line, or..., or...) if they fail to clean up the scams.  Use the money to compensate victims.

And while they are at it fine the hell out of AIS DTAC and True as the number of fraudulent sms and phone calls coming via their network is astonishing at the moment. Or better still shut them down....lol

27 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Wouldn't that be like making beer and wine producers responsible for drink driving and the financial loss the use of alcohol causes? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

95% of entrepreneurial small businesses operate on FB.

Most large-scale retail service and food businesses drive revenue via FB.

Might as well shoot yourself in the temple rather than the foot.

IMO, this "outgoing" "caretaker" MDES Minster should close his pie hole.

This problem should be solved by working with FB, and not rattling his toy sabre.

I have to agree with your first sentence. Our small business only uses FB. The thais are addicted to it. 

Wouldnt be bad if my wife had no access to it though. Maybe it means we have to talk more. 

The government of Canada tried to force Facebook to pay revenue streams on link, sharing for news articles and introduced a bill in the House of Commons. The end result was that Facebook pulled all news links out of every post by every Canadian now we can share new news now we get no idea what our government is doing, of course the government knew this would be the result. Facebook told him that but they continued anyway so bill C18 , of course the government knew this would be the result. Facebook told him that but they continued anyway so we’ll see 18 in Canada now restricts all media content, and the government has the right to regulate posts,  to implement fines, and prosecute for thought crimes against the state. 
perhaps he looked at what Canada was doing and thought it would be a good idea to seize more control. It won’t play out very well.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Some people I know seem to like to "collect friends". Like is it some kind of badge of honor, to have over 1,000 "friends". I have seen some accounts with 5,000 friends. Nobody has 5,000 relationships with people. It is just another bizarre aspect of modern, contemporary popular culture, something I just cannot relate to. However, I am not a big social media guy. I consider twitter, instagram, and especially tiktok, to be highly corrosive and part of the reason for the decline of culture and modern civilization. Facebook does not seem as toxic. But, collecting friends is just bizarre, regardless.

I just checked,Facebook friends 4665 "friends" are they all my friends?

Of course not "Friends " is just a name.

I have asked maybe ten people to befriend me the rest is all requested

by them.

Facebook has helped me over the years to keep in touch with all these people from all over the world.

Nothing strange going on,just a shared passion.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

shut the damn thing down ....  they sell everything from firearms to fireworks,  gold, illegal drugs .....  full of thief's, fake items and you name it ....

It's a cesspit ...  and it needs closing.    

You must be on a different FB to me then.

Nobody tries to sell me anything.

I have a total of 6 friends that I have known for many years, several going back to the 1960s and hundreds of friends of friends and FB suggestions that I don't bother to delete or even look at.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You must be on a different FB to me then.

Nobody tries to sell me anything.

I have a total of 6 friends that I have known for many years, several going back to the 1960s and hundreds of friends of friends and FB suggestions that I don't bother to delete or even look at.

Don't listen to Steve he is a Prayut fanatic I have over 3000 friends on Facebook I never been offered anything on Facebook I met 12 people in real life and one of them became my wife. We are married 20 years now and never bought anything on Facebook and yes, some people add you to increase their friends' numbers I just ignore them.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Cambodia got there first, according to the linked article.

If I remember correctly, this was only because of Hun Sens feelings being hurt by Facebook posts.. nothing to do with "protecting" Khmer from online frauds through Facebook...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

Don't listen to Steve he is a Prayut fanatic I have over 3000 friends on Facebook I never been offered anything on Facebook I met 12 people in real life and one of them became my wife. We are married 20 years now and never bought anything on Facebook and yes, some people add you to increase their friends' numbers I just ignore them.

Well that's great you find your friends on FB,  so you have 3000 FB social media friends ... wow you are so lucky, you must be a popular FB participant,  I just have friends from meeting them socially up front and talking to them.

Everything I said was correct about FB,  it needs to be regulated more,   it needs to be vetted alot more to stop the sale of firearms, drugs and many other contraband items,  also as I said, there is alot of fake items and false sales groups on there working from Cambodia, Laos and China.

22 hours ago, impulse said:

Fine the beejeezus out of Facebook (or Line, or..., or...) if they fail to clean up the scams.  Use the money to compensate victims.

Fakebook has taken major hits in the last year, mostly in their deep pockets but it  still hasn't slowed them down, one iota!

3 hours ago, Peabody said:

What act is this? Haven't heard anything about it.

Google is your friend. For the not so bright Americans they called it the Tik Tok act. Of course they have the patriot act that spies on every American citizen