Ground Coffee Recommendations?

CanadaSam

Finally switching from instant coffee to a drip coffee maker, just arrived.

I don't have a clue which ground coffee to order / buy, and where?  (I am in Pattaya).

I like STRONG coffee, can anybody please suggest the brand or type of ground coffee I am looking for?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bon Cafe coffee is cheaper at Makro. Try all of the flavors see which do you like best. I like the Mocca, with Arabica and Robusta mixed.

I used to order Hillkoff online, directly from Chiang Mai. It is also  available on Lazada. New shop now in Pattaya.

Sukhumvit 73:

https://goo.gl/maps/7X48pn1V5Rwu8CBu8

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the coffee from anniecoffeeroaster on Lazada is great. I used to order from artis coffee Bangkok but switched to this.

I find bon cafe and doi chang really rough and strong.

If I had to choose from supermarket then it would be lavazza gold tin Oro.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

I think the coffee from anniecoffeeroaster on Lazada is great. I used to order from artis coffee Bangkok but switched to this.

I find bon cafe and doi chang really rough and strong.

If I had to choose from supermarket then it would be lavazza gold tin Oro.

I swear by Doi Chang via Lazada. Really strong go for French #5 roast. Vienna #4 slightly milder. All 100% Arabica in both bean and ground. 

Note : Pre-ground is fine for espresso machine or filter but not great in French press. 

• Thanks 1

https://shop.line.me/@146srjzp?utm_source=LS_Share&utm_medium=Storefront-Shopend&utm_keyword=3152757a0d6210ca97e16413da8b490b1693462069252

I've been buying from JaneLee ( also on Facebook)- they supply both ground coffee and fresh beans, and support small scale Thai growers. The taste is really excellent (and if you care about the coffee you drink, the price doesn't really come into it).

Edited by Drumbuie
Unexpected bold type!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Friendship supermarket has a good coffee section, they can grind it for you, I think a selection of about 8 bean to bag. I go for Espresso blend B63 100 grams.

Prefer a coffee press rather than drip

As an alternative to coffee, I have been buying some nice 100% Cocoa powder from Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.pdp_revamp.search.d_go.4a2b5ff7pQCesY&q=KOKOA HUT

Nice with a drop of Thai rum in it????

• Like 1

I buy my coffee from here

https://www.facebook.com/misterlee.mittraphap/

You can find them on lazada, you should ask them to grind the beans for you, however I was told grinding your own is one of the best ways to improve the taste. It's worthwhile getting some more kit like a carafe, scales and grinder for the best experience, you dont have to spend money, cheap from Lazada will suffice.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As far as taste goes... unless you prefer bitter coffee, arabica will taste better, or rather, should taste better when the coffee is well made.

+1, dark roast arabica is what I personally prefer, smooth and not overly caffeinated and can drink more without getting zinged out 

• Thanks 1

As mentioned above Hillkoff is good, I personally like Black Thai arabica. My preference though is Bodonso premium dark from Mae Salong Nai, Mae Fha Luang north Chiangrai…

IMG_9860.jpeg

Edited by novacova
  • Thanks 1

From another thread, and Cafe Roma, what we use now.  Haven't seen in stores, bought from bakery supply shop, until we found online.

Back to using Moka Pat, and about 35 gr of coffee/350ml water, standard 1 to 10 ratio for Moka pot, and yields 300ml.  Tastes same as my drip, using 50gr/300ml, for 200ml yield.

Might break out the French Press for comparison.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

From another thread, and Cafe Roma, what we use now.  Haven't seen in stores, bought from bakery supply shop, until we found online.

Back to using Moka Pat, and about 35 gr of coffee/350ml water, standard 1 to 10 ratio for Moka pot, and yields 300ml.  Tastes same as my drip, using 50gr/300ml, for 200ml yield.

Might break out the French Press for comparison.

With a Mokapot it's better to stop it before it spurts so yield is usually lower, otherwise taste is ruined. Some people try to get maximum yield 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

With a Mokapot it's better to stop it before it spurts so yield is usually lower, otherwise taste is ruined. Some people try to get maximum yield 

Yes, and easy enough to control the heat, on gas anyway.  Definitely stop the first hint of spurting, or it will be bitter.

Used the French Press this morning, about the same coffee / water ratio, 8 minute steep,  Think I might stick with that for now.

• Thumbs Up 1