Good, Most Complete, Medical Checkup in Pattaya at a fair Price ?

pattayapip

Am Male 63, Not fit, don’t think unfit, slightly overweight (who isn’t haha)
Last time I had a decent medical checkup was maybe over 7 years ago now . .

Ok Live Pattaya so a few Good Hospitals
My Blood sugar levels have recently spiked, am really unsure of the reason, but that would be a must for comprehensive checking, but also while I do this am thinking to have a full and complete as possible full checkup to test Heart, arteries, Cancers and as much as possible, as any early pickup of anything is better than late . . 

Nearly all the hospitals appear to have comprehensive checkups for males 50+ but at greatly varying prices ?

Does anyone have recent experience and could recommend a good service in Pattaya Please ?

I am not bound by price, and that is not a sticking point, but then again I don’t want to just pay so much more is possibly needed ?
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

• Like 1

No recent but a few years ago I had a checkup at Memorial Hospital and was quite satisfied. It's centrally located and medium sized not such a mega complex like Bangkok Hospital.

Their most comprehensive checkup for males 50+ cost 10500 Baht. See yourself:

https://www.pattayamemorial.com/DetailList.aspx?id=608559

Incl. chest x-ray, ECG and whole abdomen ultrasound which detects some (not all) potential problems with organs (fatty liver, prostate size/residual urine, ...).

Edited by KhunBENQ

No recommendation as not in Patts.  But make sure it includes a full abdominal ultrasound.   Will be more useful than cancer markers.  Since no recent check up.

The cancer markers, unless off the chart #s, aren't too useful, as more a comparison, year after year, to see if any changes, I think.  Especially for cancer patients already.

Heart check up, up to you, but ECG/EKG will usually point out any issues.    Unless you feel winded, and out of breath quite often for no reason. 

How fast you recover, pulse/BP after 5 ish minutes of exercise (pulse @ 50% above normal), and breathing will tell you a lot.  I monitor my BP & blood oxygen at home.  Omron BP units are accurate & inexpensive.

You can get a Yuwell oxymeter at some pharmacies.  I have one, all of 700 baht, and tells you pulse & oxy level, which should be 95% +/-, higher better.  90% or less, and you'll need further testing.

Many docs/clinics use the same units I have.

Never hurts to get coloscopy at your age, as colon & prostate cancer (hence ultrasound) are issues for men as we age.  I had one done couple years ago (I'm 68), with a couple polyps removed.  I did have to lie to get that done, stating blood in stools and cancer in family.   Latter wasn't a stretch, but some docs don't schedule things without symptoms.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

I really do appreciate the replies, have been online searching all morning and decided on this one:

https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/product/checkup-program-healthy-ladyyou-2023/

Ultimate Male, appears to do everything

The list is as follows.

1 Physical Examination
2 Body Composition
3 Complete Blood Count (CBC)
4 Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS)
5 HbA1c
Lipid Profile
6 Cholesterol
7 Triglyceride
8 HDL -Cholesterol
9 LDL – Cholesterol
Kidney function test
10 BUN
11 Creatinine
Liver function test
12 SGOT
13 SGPT
14 Alkaline Phosphatase
15 Total protein
16 Bilirubin
17 Gamma GT (GGT)
18 Uric acid
19 Calcium
20 Vitamin D (25-Hydroxy Vitamin D Total) (NHS)
21 Digestive tract cancer screening (CA19-9)
22 Liver Cancer Screening (AFP)
23 Colon Cancer Screening (CEA)
24 Prostate Cancer Screening (Total and Free PSA)
25 Testosterone
26 Hepatitis A Antibody (Anti-HAV IgG)
27 Hepatitis B Virus (HBs Ag)
28 Hepatitis B Surface Antibody (Anti-HBs)
29 Anti-hepatitis B core (Anti-HBc)
30 Hepatitis C Antibody (Anti-HCV)
Thyroid hormone
31 Thyroid stimulating Hormone (TSH)
32 Free Triiodothyronine (FT3)
33 Free Thyroxine (FT4)
34 C-Reactive Protein(CRP) High Sens.
35 Fecal Occult Blood & Inflammation Screening
36 Stool Examination
37 Urine Examination
38 Chest X-Ray
39 Electrocardiogram (EKG)
40 Ultrasound Whole Abdomen
41 Fibrosis and fatty liver screening (Fibroscan)
42 Exercise Stress Test (EST)
43 Vascular Screening Test (ABI)
44 Echocardiogram
45 Smile 3 Package You can choose only one CT Calcium Scoring **Not recommended if you have already had a coronary artery stent or coronary artery bypass surgery.
46 Ultrasound Doppler Carotid arteries
47 Royal Grand Ward 16th floor E Building (Lounge)

34 minutes ago, pattayapip said:

I really do appreciate the replies, have been online searching all morning and decided on this one:

https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/product/checkup-program-healthy-ladyyou-2023/

The list is as follows.

1 Physical Examination
2 Body Composition
5 HbA1c
Lipid Profile
6 Cholesterol
7 Triglyceride
8 HDL -Cholesterol
9 LDL – Cholesterol
Kidney function test
10 BUN
11 Creatinine
Liver function test
12 SGOT
13 SGPT
14 Alkaline Phosphatase
15 Total protein
16 Bilirubin
17 Gamma GT (GGT)
18 Uric acid
19 Calcium
25 Testosterone
Thyroid hormone
33 Free Thyroxine (FT4)
36 Stool Examination
37 Urine Examination
38 Chest X-Ray
44 Echocardiogram
45 Smile 3 Package You can choose only one CT Calcium Scoring **Not recommended if you have already had a coronary artery stent or coronary artery bypass surgery.

A little overkill on the heart check up, unless having some symptoms, chest pains/unexplained being winded at time.  Especially if BP, ECG/EKG (same thing), and oxygen level (95%) are all normal.

On 8/31/2023 at 10:37 AM, pattayapip said:

Not the cheapest by any means, but hoping this covers all that i should cover

Compare BHP package with those from phyathai Sriracha

https://www.phyathai.com/en/package?page=1&s=check

Been there last two years for annual check up but cannot find the "healthy Male 3" package I had, with some add-ons...if interested , email Gavin Waddell ([email protected])  with any and all questions on what's included, price of extras etc.....I used to go to BHP but found them ever more expensive and am impressed with service at Phyathai.  This year, Hba1c showed slightly heightened levels, so am booked to go back in three months for repeat test - at no extra charge.

PH

PH

• Thumbs Up 1

I very much agree with Sheryl regarding colonoscopy.  I had my first one done at BPH about five years ago (I was 65 at the time, and should have had it done much earlier!).  The gastroenterologist removed a dozen or so polyps during the colonoscopy.  He remarked that 2 or 3 of them would likely have become cancerous in another few years (3 or 4).  In the post-colonoscopy appointment, he showed me the photos of the polyps removed.

At the time, the all-in price was close to 25K Baht, so all-in currently at 19K is a great price.  If you would like the name of the gastroenterologist, please PM me.

Regarding your checkup, I had mine done at BPH also (about 16 months ago), and it revealed one or two conditions that needed attention (one of which was heart-related).  Since then, that condition has been controlled with inexpensive medication.

All in all, you are making an excellent decision!

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Out of interest were they generally healthy? or overweight with a bad diet etc?

They were both very healthy. One was a fitness fanatic, mountain climbing etc age 56 and the other was a landscape gardener, age 51. Neither overweight. I've been told that Colon cancer is very slow growing so they would have both had it for some time. My colonoscopy was clear but my neighbours was not and she had to have polyps lasered off. Polyps can, but most don't, become cancerous. I suspect diet as opposed to life style is the cause of this type of cancer.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:55 PM, pattayapip said:

No ????  Just thought it ticked all if not most of the boxes, then had another thought maybe i could charge it to work ????

If you're going to do it, do it right. I'll be doing the same as you at BPH within the next few months. My insurance should cover all. If out of pocket, so be it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, pattayapip said:

The list is as follows.

1 Physical Examination
2 Body Composition
5 HbA1c
Lipid Profile
6 Cholesterol
7 Triglyceride
8 HDL -Cholesterol
9 LDL – Cholesterol
Kidney function test
10 BUN
11 Creatinine
Liver function test
12 SGOT
13 SGPT
14 Alkaline Phosphatase
15 Total protein
16 Bilirubin
17 Gamma GT (GGT)
18 Uric acid
19 Calcium
25 Testosterone
Thyroid hormone
33 Free Thyroxine (FT4)
36 Stool Examination
37 Urine Examination
38 Chest X-Ray
44 Echocardiogram

I highly recommend the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya executive heart physical. ASK for Dr Piya, Cardiologist to meet you, order tests to be done including echocardiogram and sonogram of the abdomen. ALL done in One Morning with results reviewed by Dr Piya before noon, in English and given to you to take with you. 

He has saved my life with discovery of artery blockages twice in past 18 years. 

Go have it done.

Some comments on here are useful, seriously consider a colonoscopy.

Get your heart checked properly & believe me worth it, big hospital in Bangkok somehow missed it

but I live in the bush now & they picked up on the fact that I have aortic valve stenosis.

Correct medication & diet will at least slow deterioration 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 5:41 AM, Sheryl said:

EKG and O2 can be normal even with significant coronary artery disease.

EST highly advised to pick up any signs of CAD early as well as to check your overall cardiac fitness.

@pattayapipYou should also have a colonoscopy if have not had one in past 10 years but those are never a part of check up packages, have to arrange separately.  From now until end of September BPH is offering it for 19K which is a very good price for private hospitals here  https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/product/gastroscopy-colonoscopy-packages/

Be aware that the following things in the package you have selected  are not suitable for mass screening and not recommended for that purpose as both false positives and false negatives are extremely common:

These so-called "tumor markers" are useful in monitoring progress of cancer in some cancer patients but are NOT appropriate for cancer screening and should nto be used for such.  They can be normal despite presence of cancer and also be elevated from many causes other than cancer.

Also be aware that abdominal ultrasounds are extremely likely to pick up benign conditions such as liver/kidney cysts , small asymptomatic gallstones etc that do nto need treatment. For which reason no public health authority recommends routine abdominal ultrasounds ...tends to lead to a lot of unnecessary further tests and treatments (ditto the "tumor markers").

Thankyou for this Sheryl, and of course the link too for colonoscopy, I have had one maybe 6/7 years ago, But my Father Passed from Colon Cancer that was never detected until it had spread (Zero Symptoms before it was too late sadly) So i will do this also, Thanks again

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Thankyou for this Sheryl, and of course the link too for colonoscopy, I have had one maybe 6/7 years ago, But my Father Passed from Colon Cancer that was never detected until it had spread (Zero Symptoms before it was too late sadly) So i will do this also, Thanks again

Normally if last colonoscopy was clear (no polyps) then repeat would be in 10 years. If polyps are found frequency would be more than 10 yearly but depend on type and size of polyps.

However regardless of findings, with a close relative with colon cancer you are above average risk so should get one at least  every 5 years. 

https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2015/0115/p93.html

• Thanks 1