Does money make YOU happy?

bob smith

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Money may not make one happy.  But lack of money can sure make one miserable.

i always think like its more of a feeling of not living up to others expectations.

if we were still all living in trees then that sense of feeling miserable would dissipate because everyone is in the same boat.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

i always think like its more of a feeling of not living up to others expectations.

if we were still all living in trees then that sense of feeling miserable would dissipate because everyone is in the same boat.

One guy would be living in the banana tree and the other guy would be living in a thorn bush.  Been that way since they learned to climb trees.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, bob smith said:

ive been dirt poor and ive been quite rich.

right now i have more than enough money to last me the rest of my life.

but somehow I see my happiness level slowly decreasing as my personal wealth accumulates. 

Does anyone else notice this?

when i was dirt poor i was free in many ways that i am no longer.

when you have money you are a slave to everyone who wants to get it from you.

slave to the latest iphone, fastest car, newest rolex etc

when you are poor none of that matters.

you just dont care.

I tried explaining this once to a thai girl. she told me her dream was to marry a rich man and I told her that money wont bring her happiness.

She looked at me as if i had farted. she was extremely offended by this notion and almost got up and walked out of the restaurant. 

So, does money make you happy?

If so, how?

I find that money is a tool to use whenever you need it. but as for bringing one happiness?

i've yet to experience that.

When you are poor you are worrying about paying rent and other bills. I am not a slave to new things or people wanting money from me.

For me it is balance. 

Often, people with too much wealth and money seem to go off the rails and have mental health problems, addictions, and act like jerks. 

Also, how can they know if their friends or the people that they share their life with really care / love them for themselves or for their money?  Also I know of plenty of rich people who are grumpy and miserable and hate human beings....probably because they can become self centered. 

The again, living in poverty is hell...no opportunity to better your life with education and no privaligeas.  NO security for health or if things go wrong. 

It would be paradise of everyone got the same amount of money and the extremes of poverty or mega rich did not exist.. 

Being materialistic definitely does not make people happy from what I've seen. They always want more and are never satisfied. 

If I could choose i would have enough money so I did not have to worry about health costs, food and housing, bills etc. And some left over for nice holidays around the world occasionally. 

• Like 2

I remember a Doctor acquaintance of mine talking about depression!

He said he’d much rather be financially comfortable while suffering from depression as opposed to the opposite!

Money can’t buy happiness but it helps living comfortably!

What helps to be happy is doing things I like ,to go on holiday twice a year , shop at Topps ! go out for a shed full on Friday’s with my wife ! I couldn’t do any of that if I didn’t have baht!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

How do you get the boat up into the trees please? 555

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Money does not, and cannot make anyone happy. It can provide a great way to address problems, it can afford an amazing lifestyle, and it is a wonderful thing to have. But, it does not make us happy, and the lack of it does not make us unhappy. Happiness (I like to refer to it as fulfillment, as happiness is so hard to define) is something else.

I know alot of wealthy people who are quite miserable. I also know alot of people without much money at all, who seem very content. Happy? That is a very Disney type of word and description.

But then nothing can actually make a person happy, fulfilled, or content, as everything is just external stimuli that we process consciously or subconsciously and then we have a positive, negative, or neutral reaction to the feeling that it gives us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1